This Sunday: IRS whistleblower to break his silence on LDS Church finances, will speak on ‘60 Minutes’

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr. Sunstoned
CTR B

This Sunday: IRS whistleblower to break his silence on LDS Church finances, will speak on ‘60 Minutes’

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

I'm not seeing this end well for the church.
This Sunday’s edition of “60 Minutes” will lead off with a report about the finances of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and will feature an on-camera interview with a former senior portfolio manager with faith’s investment wing who turned whistleblower.
The church will get to respond with their view of the SEC ruling.

Breaking his public silence, Nielsen will speak with “60 Minutes” correspondent Sharyn Alfonsi on the newsmagazine show, which airs Sunday at 6 p.m.
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2023/05 ... break-his/
drumdude
God

Re: This Sunday: IRS whistleblower to break his silence on LDS Church finances, will speak on ‘60 Minutes’

Post by drumdude »

Someone reset the “days without a colossal Mormon PR disaster” sign.
Rivendale
God

Re: This Sunday: IRS whistleblower to break his silence on LDS Church finances, will speak on ‘60 Minutes’

Post by Rivendale »

Most believers I know are puffed up with pride that they have adequate food storage, I mean cash storage.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

David has not said anything in public since his brother Lars leaked their IRS whistleblower report in 2019. That report revealed the $100+ billion investment fund to the world. Among many other details, the report David and Lars assembled showed numerous deficiencies in internal controls (ie, customary checks and balances), an accusation which has since been vindicated by the SEC's investigation. This should be very interesting.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I am looking very forward to seeing this.
Chadillac
Nursery

Post by Chadillac »

I’m glad to see it will be streaming on Paramount+. I’ll be watching it Sunday night.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Just more proof for DCP that Mormons are persecuted for no reason.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

I’ll bring the popcorn.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

I heard this, and googled it, it will be interesting. When I googled it, I stumbled upon this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFddArTfjhQ

BYP, RFM...a great guest for you would be either the couple that is going to sue, or the guy in the wig, or both. If a lawsuit that would reimburse tithe to members in Australia actually went through...wow, that would be interesting. # Frank J. Wilson
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Wow. Bof M central already has a rebuttal up, but do they really think this helps?

We consider the Church to be the literal Kingdom of God on the earth in the latter days (Doctrine and Covenants 65). It is led by prophets and apostles who are accountable not to shareholders or voters but to Jesus Christ. The Church has a divine mandate to prepare the world for the second coming. Kingdoms by their very nature do things a little differently than democracies, commercial enterprises, or NGO’s. Transparency is an expectation in the Internet age, but kingdoms, like privately held companies, are seldom fully transparent. Centralized financial management on a global scale seems entirely appropriate for an organization that aspires to fulfill the prophecy in (Daniel 2:44).

https://bookofmormoncentral.org/blog/ch ... m-the-pews
This seems to be arguing that the lds church considers itself above the law. That’s a very problematic argument, in my opinion.

I wonder what SLC HQ thinks of “help” like this from apologists.

Last time an lds leader told me he had a ‘divine mandate’ that overruled my rights, it didn’t go well for him.