This Sunday: IRS whistleblower to break his silence on LDS Church finances, will speak on ‘60 Minutes’

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Liar for the Lord -- having evil eyes

Post by Shulem »

Elder Christopher Waddell, First Counselor in the Presiding Bishopric was very, very, creepy and had a devious look and expression in his blood soaked eyes. He reminded me of a snake positioning itself around its prey and ready to strike and devour it whole.

He's a sick SOB and a liar for Mormon God. Keeping secrets is what he does and he is paid to do it.

What a creep!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: This Sunday: IRS whistleblower to break his silence on LDS Church finances, will speak on ‘60 Minutes’

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 2:17 pm
Anyone see it? the best part was when the Church's spokesperson for the interview said some of the most egregious things. This was a small blurb but looks really bad...which I think is encouraging. This news needs to come out.

My wife's sister called my wife the other day, crying. We "left the Church" years ago...but apparently this sister's husband has declared his own apostacy recently and refuses to attend Church or participate in any meaningful way. He also told her, "it's beyond disgusting that anyone would still support this Church." This money issue is one main reason. It's real time for them, kind of going through it.

My wife's encouraging and sweet. Her sister spits out, "don't get excited...I'm never going to leave the Church." My wife hugged her as she drowned in tears, and said, "don't worry. It's ok." and other such nice things.
Any idea what his other reasons were?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
dastardly stem
God

Re: This Sunday: IRS whistleblower to break his silence on LDS Church finances, will speak on ‘60 Minutes’

Post by dastardly stem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:30 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 2:17 pm
Anyone see it? the best part was when the Church's spokesperson for the interview said some of the most egregious things. This was a small blurb but looks really bad...which I think is encouraging. This news needs to come out.

My wife's sister called my wife the other day, crying. We "left the Church" years ago...but apparently this sister's husband has declared his own apostacy recently and refuses to attend Church or participate in any meaningful way. He also told her, "it's beyond disgusting that anyone would still support this Church." This money issue is one main reason. It's real time for them, kind of going through it.

My wife's encouraging and sweet. Her sister spits out, "don't get excited...I'm never going to leave the Church." My wife hugged her as she drowned in tears, and said, "don't worry. It's ok." and other such nice things.

- Doc
yes. he has two main reasons--this finance one. and the other is child abuse cover up. His dad was an abuser. He was a church leader all the way up to mission president, ex-communicated twice. and the Church covered for him for years. That's his main-est of reasons.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:32 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:30 pm

- Doc
yes. he has two main reasons--this finance one. and the other is child abuse cover up. His dad was an abuser. He was a church leader all the way up to mission president, ex-communicated twice. and the Church covered for him for years. That's his main-est of reasons.
My god. It never ceases to amaze how the church will cover for these guys. I have a distant cousin who married into a family I know. Well, the dad for this family was a bishop and high counselor and loved to have his way with his daughters too, according to my distant cousin's wife. I heard the grizzly details one night over beers and she was very credible. Nothing was done to this man. I guess it helped that he was good friends with Hinckley.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:51 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:32 pm

My god. It never ceases to amaze how the church will cover for these guys. I have a distant cousin who married into a family I know. Well, the dad for this family was a bishop and high counselor and loved to have his way with his daughters too, according to my distant cousin's wife. I heard the grizzly details one night over beers and she was very credible. Nothing was done to this man. I guess it helped that he was good friends with Hinckley.
:(

My head is spinning a bit. It really doesn’t matter to these Mormons, does it? I’m at a loss for words. Disheartening…

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:58 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:51 pm

:(

My head is spinning a bit. It really doesn’t matter to these Mormons, does it? I’m at a loss for words. Disheartening…

- Doc
Yeah, I wonder how many of these stories are out there. There has to be a lot. I wonder if some of the higher ups are guilty of this stuff. There were rumors periodically. I wouldn't be surprised given how they seemingly can't clean house.

Anyway, back to the topic, of course they worship money over disclosure and will come up with lame excuses to justify their secrecy.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Aw, c'mon you guys. You're totally leaving out the inspiring story of the little church that could. https://www.deseret.com/faith/2023/5/14 ... -it-missed
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Thank you, Res Ispa. I've noticed that there's been huge outrage and gnashing of teeth of late--especially among a small set of critics on a small, extraordinarily nasty, and mostly atheist ex-Mormon discussion board--regarding recent news that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has saved up a modest amount of funds for a "rainy day" and that the Church settled with the Securities and Exchange Commission regarding minor lapses in financial reporting practices. And critics have been salivating the past week in anticipation of a related 60 Minutes story on Sunday that would supposedly represent a colossal Mormon [sic] PR disaster. I haven't followed any of the details and I haven't seen the 60 Minutes segment--my mind shuts down when I hear talk of securities, the SEC, ethical behavior, and compliance with the law and I never watch television on the Sabbath--but I recommend to your attention Tad Walch's calm, informed, and helpful recounting of the Church's inspiring Ragged Dick story.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Tom wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 7:31 pm
Thank you, Res Ispa. I've noticed that there's been huge outrage and gnashing of teeth of late--especially among a small set of critics on a small, extraordinarily nasty, and mostly atheist ex-Mormon discussion board--regarding recent news that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has saved up a modest amount of funds for a "rainy day" and that the Church settled with the Securities and Exchange Commission regarding minor lapses in financial reporting practices. And critics have been salivating the past week in anticipation of a related 60 Minutes story on Sunday that would supposedly represent a colossal Mormon [sic] PR disaster. I haven't followed any of the details and I haven't seen the 60 Minutes segment--my mind shuts down when I hear talk of securities, the SEC, ethical behavior, and compliance with the law and I never watch television on the Sabbath--but I recommend to your attention Tad Walch's calm, informed, and helpful recounting of the Church's inspiring Ragged Dick story.
Bwahahaha

Nailed it.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

I’d like to know more about Walch’s opinion piece. Did he research and write it on his own? Or did he have assistance from church sources?
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857