This Sunday: IRS whistleblower to break his silence on LDS Church finances, will speak on ‘60 Minutes’

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: This Sunday: IRS whistleblower to break his silence on LDS Church finances, will speak on ‘60 Minutes’

Post by Moksha »

I imagine the return on Church stock investments will quadruple during the Millenium. The Church can build many more mansions in the Celestial Kingdom, as well as hotels on Park Place and Boardwalk.

Most likely they will purchase outright both Fhloston Paradise and Planet Risa after representatives from Kirton McConkie have thoroughly checked out those locations and tendered anonymous offers.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Re: This Sunday: IRS whistleblower to break his silence on LDS Church finances, will speak on ‘60 Minutes’

Post by Markk »

Tim wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:57 pm
I tend to view these stories in the view of "How likely is this to change anything about the LDS church". The 60 Minutes piece registered a "not at all" for me. People outside the church would not view their spokesman in a positive light. People inside the church see him as just like all the other middle-aged men they see in Utah (he looks and acts in a normal way) who is just doing the best he can with a gotcha journalist.

There was no new information. At most this story keeps the story alive and convinces someone at the IRS to take another step.
I received this message from a TBM friend of mine that I have been going back and forth with for several years. I linked him to a MS episode on this subject, I think, along with the 60 minutes cuts, that this was the final straw...it reads:

I listed to episode #1732. It was extremely painful. The bias was intolerable. I had no idea that First Presidency itself were tax experts in essence directing the fund itself and gave the managers how to technically hide funds. That's amazing! Why waste your time running a church when you can be running billon dollar investment firms. And then they are absolutely confounded why the penalty is a pittance of what the fund is worth. There's so many "pants on fire" moments in the podcast it would take a week to breakdown. But it helps understand your attitude toward the Church if you actually believe that crap.

I was not expecting this from him at all. I think this will have a deep impact on many faithful members that were just hanging on. They said he filed a what, 70 page complaint...it will be interesting to hear what he has to say once his legal team set him free.

If you haven't watched this, it is worth the time.

https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/w ... ject-pt-2/
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

If no one has mentioned it, chatter online is pointing to the fact that the whistleblower could possibly (possibly) get 30% of the recovered money from this. So...they're accusing HIM of being money hungry. :roll:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Markk wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:29 am
Tim wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:57 pm
I tend to view these stories in the view of "How likely is this to change anything about the LDS church". The 60 Minutes piece registered a "not at all" for me. People outside the church would not view their spokesman in a positive light. People inside the church see him as just like all the other middle-aged men they see in Utah (he looks and acts in a normal way) who is just doing the best he can with a gotcha journalist.

There was no new information. At most this story keeps the story alive and convinces someone at the IRS to take another step.
I received this message from a TBM friend of mine that I have been going back and forth with for several years. I linked him to a MS episode on this subject, I think, along with the 60 minutes cuts, that this was the final straw...it reads:

I listed to episode #1732. It was extremely painful. The bias was intolerable. I had no idea that First Presidency itself were tax experts in essence directing the fund itself and gave the managers how to technically hide funds. That's amazing! Why waste your time running a church when you can be running billon dollar investment firms. And then they are absolutely confounded why the penalty is a pittance of what the fund is worth. There's so many "pants on fire" moments in the podcast it would take a week to breakdown. But it helps understand your attitude toward the Church if you actually believe that crap.

I was not expecting this from him at all. I think this will have a deep impact on many faithful members that were just hanging on. They said he filed a what, 70 page complaint...it will be interesting to hear what he has to say once his legal team set him free.

If you haven't watched this, it is worth the time.

https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/w ... ject-pt-2/
You’re one of the most brainwashed people on the planet, and you’re telling us you don’t recognize your own kind?

Astonishing.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:35 am
If no one has mentioned it, chatter online is pointing to the fact that the whistleblower could possibly (possibly) get 30% of the recovered money from this. So...they're accusing HIM of being money hungry. :roll:
If he gets anything, it will mean the system worked by providing an incentive for people to come forward and shine light on bad behavior. Good for him. Shaming a whistleblower because there’s a reward is dumb. Mormons do all sorts of stuff for the promise of a future reward.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

...Simply put, Jesus will need tremendous working capital upon his return. We intend to give him some of it...
I am speechless. this comment is so far beyond nonsensical it is ludicrous. These are grown adults, right? I am nonplussed. What is going on in the brains of these idiots.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

…Simply put, Jesus will need tremendous working capital upon his return. We intend to give him some of it...
Those lines do not appear in the DN article.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Over at the former MAD board, SMAC has been hammering the point that the whistleblower is just doing it for the money. SMAC is insisting on a purely Mormon motive, with no thought in mind that the whistleblower did not wish to be placed in legal jeopardy for breaking the law at the request of the First Presidency.

The whistleblower did not wish to be a scofflaw and so that put him at odds with the Church. I imagine that was akin to a similar feeling early Mormons had who wished to remain faithful to their wife.
Last edited by Moksha on Wed May 17, 2023 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Of course, attack the messenger and bear testimony that being in the dark is somehow laudable. I want the church to never disclose anything as a test of faith, they say. In fact, the truly righteous want to give 15% to the black hole while demanding no disclosure whatsoever.

Go Smac go!
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Tom wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 3:36 am
…Simply put, Jesus will need tremendous working capital upon his return. We intend to give him some of it...
Those lines do not appear in the DN article.
So, moksha just made this up like he was quoting the desnews?
Moksha wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 12:54 pm
Deseret News" wrote:This same story plays out every few decades, despite the church’s commendable self-reliance and efficiency of its humanitarian efforts. Living stipends for full-time church leaders are estimated to be significantly less than the salary of a member of U.S Congress, and hundreds of thousands of dollars less than leaders of large public and private universities or comparable nonprofit organizations.

Lost in this all, once again, are the actual purposes and uses of funds as members and leaders of the church understand them. Simply put, Jesus will need tremendous working capital upon his return. We intend to give him some of it, with the remainder to be used for continued Church operating costs and guaranteed stipends.
My mistake. Usually i don't fall for moksha's nonsense, but I'll be more careful in the future.