This Sunday: IRS whistleblower to break his silence on LDS Church finances, will speak on ‘60 Minutes’

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: This Sunday: IRS whistleblower to break his silence on LDS Church finances, will speak on ‘60 Minutes’

Post by Shulem »

***secret vs. confidential video clip***

Reporter: "What about the idea that secrecy builds mistrust?"

Bishop Waddell: "We don't feel it's being secret, we feel it's being confidential."

Reporter: "What's the difference?"

Bishop Waddell: The difference is, um, I guess is point of view?
Shulem
God

Re: This Sunday: IRS whistleblower to break his silence on LDS Church finances, will speak on ‘60 Minutes’

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:24 pm
Bishop Waddell: "We don't feel it's being secret, we feel it's being confidential."

But it was so secret that only select members in the highest levels of the Church knew about it and only select financial advisors who worked for Ensign Peak. NOT even the government knew about it! Not even the 12 apostles! Not a single member of the church knew about it.

Why?

Because it was a SECRET!

:twisted:

You are a liar, Waddell. You slimy slithering snake. You're garage!
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

The Tribune reports today that Ensign Peak's public portfolio was valued at $46.2 billion as of March 31, which is an increase of $1.8 billion over the public portfolio value at the end of December 2022. The fund's largest holdings are Apple ($2.6 billion) and Microsoft ($2.2 billion). No information was available regarding the value of the sacred portion of Ensign Peak's portfolio.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Tom wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:29 pm
The Tribune reports today that Ensign Peak's public portfolio was valued at $46.2 billion as of March 31, which is an increase of $1.8 billion over the public portfolio value at the end of December 2022. The fund's largest holdings are Apple ($2.6 billion) and Microsoft ($2.2 billion). No information was available regarding the value of the sacred portion of Ensign Peak's portfolio.

I don't think religious organizations should have the right to own stock. It's dangerous and sets a precedent or an idea where a religion can do great harm secretly or out in the open with the finances of organizations it opposes.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

Moksha wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 12:54 pm
Deseret News" wrote:This same story plays out every few decades, despite the church’s commendable self-reliance and efficiency of its humanitarian efforts. Living stipends for full-time church leaders are estimated to be significantly less than the salary of a member of U.S Congress, and hundreds of thousands of dollars less than leaders of large public and private universities or comparable nonprofit organizations.

Lost in this all, once again, are the actual purposes and uses of funds as members and leaders of the church understand them. Simply put, Jesus will need tremendous working capital upon his return. We intend to give him some of it, with the remainder to be used for continued Church operating costs and guaranteed stipends.
Jesus needs 'tremendous working capital'? How pray tell did he make it during his first, 33-year run without tremendouse working capital?

And what happens if Jesus asks for all of the funds? Will the church say no, Jesus, we need it for the operating costs and guaranteed stipends?

Oh, and the full-time church leaders should be likened to members of Congress or the leaders of large public and private universities or nonprofit orgs? Maybe as "apostles", the standard for them should be the meager compensation (none) Jesus paid the original 12.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Moksha wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 12:54 pm
Deseret News" wrote:This same story plays out every few decades, despite the church’s commendable self-reliance and efficiency of its humanitarian efforts. Living stipends for full-time church leaders are estimated to be significantly less than the salary of a member of U.S Congress, and hundreds of thousands of dollars less than leaders of large public and private universities or comparable nonprofit organizations.

Lost in this all, once again, are the actual purposes and uses of funds as members and leaders of the church understand them. Simply put, Jesus will need tremendous working capital upon his return. We intend to give him some of it, with the remainder to be used for continued Church operating costs and guaranteed stipends.
I sense that part of that quotation wasn't in the original. :lol: In any case, how large are the living stipends for full-time church leaders? Who has estimated them? (Notice the use of the passive voice.)
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Tim
Star A

Post by Tim »

I tend to view these stories in the view of "How likely is this to change anything about the LDS church". The 60 Minutes piece registered a "not at all" for me. People outside the church would not view their spokesman in a positive light. People inside the church see him as just like all the other middle-aged men they see in Utah (he looks and acts in a normal way) who is just doing the best he can with a gotcha journalist.

There was no new information. At most this story keeps the story alive and convinces someone at the IRS to take another step.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Tom wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:27 pm
I sense that part of that quotation wasn't in the original. :lol: In any case, how large are the living stipends for full-time church leaders? Who has estimated them? (Notice the use of the passive voice.)
There's something to be said when the Church's own media outlet doesn't know what its executives are paid.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Tim wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:57 pm
I tend to view these stories in the view of "How likely is this to change anything about the LDS church". The 60 Minutes piece registered a "not at all" for me. People outside the church would not view their spokesman in a positive light. People inside the church see him as just like all the other middle-aged men they see in Utah (he looks and acts in a normal way) who is just doing the best he can with a gotcha journalist.

There was no new information. At most this story keeps the story alive and convinces someone at the IRS to take another step.
Jesus told his Prophet to hide the money and violate the law. See? I have faith in the Q15 in not following the law and not being transparent. LET’S GO SHOPPING.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Any idea about finances and real estate holdings outside the U.S.?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7