“We don’t feel it’s being secret, we feel it’s being confidential.”

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

“We don’t feel it’s being secret, we feel it’s being confidential.”

Post by drumdude »

https://youtu.be/pbvuVYpNLBQ

The church’s decades long culture of… “confidentiality” …is really catching up with it.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: “We don’t feel it’s being secret, we feel it’s being confidential.”

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

“It’s not secret, it’s sacred confidential.”

Language gameplay is really interesting sometimes. The way to play the game is to make language so remote to the listener they can’t help but to agree with the deceiver. In the Mormon church’s case, you have decades of sociopaths promoting sociopaths, who are adept at wordplay, and any moral compunction they could feel if they were a normal person who has genuine faith in a deity is replaced by an overarching desire to win, to hoard, to accrue power and increase reputation, so lying through deceptive language is not second nature to them, but a necessity for their personal aims.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 9:46 pm
“It’s not secret, it’s sacred confidential.”

Language gameplay is really interesting sometimes. The way to play the game is to make language so remote to the listener they can’t help but to agree with the deceiver. In the Mormon church’s case, you have decades of sociopaths promoting sociopaths, who are adept at wordplay, and any moral compunction they could feel if they were a normal person who has genuine faith in a deity is replaced by an overarching desire to win, to hoard, to accrue power and increase reputation, so lying through deceptive language is not second nature to them, but a necessity for their personal aims.

- Doc
Exactly.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

How can anyone watch this 4 second clip and not think the church is being dishonest: https://youtu.be/pbvuVYpNLBQ?t=23

This 60 Minute episode is going to be a huge black eye for the leadership.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Best of luck to the brethren in trying to whitewash and gaslight the latest episode, and glad I'm not suckered by them any more.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.