Where you find community after leaving

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Where you find community after leaving

Post by hauslern »

Community and Belonging Post-Deconstruction - with Lindsay Hansen Park
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIeV0z8X4J0

One of the things people like about the LDS church is community. Once you leave you need to find other groups to take place. I am an introvert and don't mind for some time being alone

My children find their friends in the activities they take the grandchildren to like football and lifesaving.

I have neighbors some of who I find connection with.
drumdude
God

Re: Where you find community after leaving

Post by drumdude »

hauslern wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 8:08 pm
Community and Belonging Post-Deconstruction - with Lindsay Hansen Park
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIeV0z8X4J0

One of the things people like about the LDS church is community. Once you leave you need to find other groups to take place. I am an introvert and don't mind for some time being alone

My children find their friends in the activities they take the grandchildren to like football and lifesaving.

I have neighbors some of who I find connection with.
I have found connection with many online. It’s not a substitute for real in person connection, but it’s something.

All of the church friends that I had an in person connection with, couldn’t have cared less when they learned the recently temple married couple had divorced. The couple they had taught temple preparation class to. The couple that had taught their children after sacrament meeting. Either they didn’t care, or they were too ashamed and afraid of catching whatever spiritual disease we had contracted which caused us to fall off the perfect Mormon Covenant path..

So yes the LDS church may offer a community, but it is in many cases a superficial and a conditional one. Your mileage may vary.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

hauslern wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 8:08 pm
Not being a dick, I’m genuinely confused - lifesaving?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

People who rescue tourists who get caught in a rip in the ocean