Mark Twain and the definition of insanity

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
sock puppet
High Priest

Mark Twain and the definition of insanity

Post by sock puppet »

In my signature line, I have this quote attributed to Mark Twain, "The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Ten years ago, I would have laughed at that. It surely just applied to extremists, right. Today? well, I think that the fringes are squeezing out the middle.

Fools determined to believe a lie. Is it insane to continue time after time after time to explain to them reality, hoping for a different result? Maybe it is because I'm growing old, tiring of the re-hash. Do I realize now, or moreso, that it is futile. In any event, the discussion with the likes of dolts such as MG 2.0 has grown beyond wearisome for me. Maybe age is what will keep me from persistent insanity.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
drumdude
God

Re: Mark Twain and the definition of insanity

Post by drumdude »

You don’t see the silent ex-Mormons who leave the church behind and never look back. You don’t see the increased amount of doors slammed in Missionaries’ faces due to increased education about the church.

The work is progressing, and even though we can’t deprogram all Mormons, on average we are having an impact.

I would love to see the same thing happy to deprogram the Trump and DeSantis followers. To bring conservatism back to reality and sanity. DCP would do well to stop fighting atheism and start fighting to take back the Republican Party. But it seems most Mormons are fine aligning themselves with the right wing extremists. That fight is a much larger project, and it’s very depressing that the cult there seems to only be growing stronger.