Mormon Stories finances vs. LDS finances

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Mormon Stories finances vs. LDS finances

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

jpatterson wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:52 am
Rivendale wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:32 am
I propose a gofundme for Mr. Patterson.....Who is up for it?
No thanks, I don't need the money. I know RFM has no qualms debasing himself for cash, maybe try him?
Jp,

What percent should a NP CEO skim off the top in order to be ethical, regardless of revenue?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

jpatterson wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:29 am
Marcus wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 11:44 pm

Is that so? You have a little problem then, with your 'On Being' Krista Tippet example.

So, CEO gets over $400,000....

WOW. Double the national average!!!! You'd think she also hosted the damn show or something!!!!

Huh. You cared in your OP. And Dr. Moore called it, or, rather, spelled it. Vendetta.
Sure, you could fairly criticize Tippett's salary for being too high.

Again, you're proving my point, though. If Tippett's salary is high, John's is exorbitant. And I know Krista doesn't spend her podcast ranting and railing at the finances of churches, so she's also not a massive tool in that way.
Too funny. Suddenly your 'apples to apples' example is no more. Now its 'apples to tires.'

Come on. You can't make this many egregious errors in a discussion and think anyone will take your backtracking seriously.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

RFM. Would you like a go fund me in reverent reverence to James in your name?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 1:25 am
jpatterson wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:29 am
Sure, you could fairly criticize Tippett's salary for being too high.

Again, you're proving my point, though. If Tippett's salary is high, John's is exorbitant. And I know Krista doesn't spend her podcast ranting and railing at the finances of churches, so she's also not a massive tool in that way.
Too funny. Suddenly your 'apples to apples' example is no more. Now its 'apples to tires.'

Come on. You can't make this many egregious errors in a discussion and think anyone will take your backtracking seriously.
Exactly.

We’re not even all fans of Dehlin. A lot of people know he’s a jerk.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:20 am
Marcus wrote:

Exactly.

Exactly. I am not a fan at all. But, get your facts straight. (Talking to jp here.)
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

drumdude wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Exactly.

Some of us are even quite indifferent about John Dehlin.

Funny story (stop me if I told it before - my memory is going a bit more wonky than usual). Anyway, this is roughly according to my current recall.

About 8 or so years ago I had a brief face-to-face with my Stake Pres (now Area 70). We knew each other a bit because I used to be his Sunday School teacher when he was a YSA. We were standing in line at a branch pot-luck lunch. I was there just to socialize a bit.

SP: So, malkie, you haven't been attending church for a while. Would you like to talk about why?
malkie: Sure. I no longer believe that the Q15 are prophets, seers, revelators, etc. I see them as just a bunch of conservative, arguable senescent, old white guys - nothing special at all. I also don't believe that the Mormon church is anything special, never mind what it claims for itself. I disagree with the stance of the church on a lot of social issues. I'm not sure that the leaders are honest.
SP: I see. I know all about John Dehlin.
malkie: huh?
SP:
malkie: I never mentioned John Dehlin - I wasn't talking about him.
SP: OK, then. That potato salad looks good - I wonder who made it.

A couple of years later I met John Dehlin, and told him this story, thinking that it would at least make him smile. He just looked at me like I'd made a rude noise. Then he walked away.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

malkie wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 3:06 am
drumdude wrote:
Exactly.

Some of us are even quite indifferent about John Dehlin.

Funny story (stop me if I told it before - my memory is going a bit more wonky than usual). Anyway, this is roughly according to my current recall.

About 8 or so years ago I had a brief face-to-face with my Stake Pres (now Area 70). We knew each other a bit because I used to be his Sunday School teacher when he was a YSA. We were standing in line at a branch pot-luck lunch. I was there just to socialize a bit.

SP: So, malkie, you haven't been attending church for a while. Would you like to talk about why?
malkie: Sure. I no longer believe that the Q15 are prophets, seers, revelators, etc. I see them as just a bunch of conservative, arguable senescent, old white guys - nothing special at all. I also don't believe that the Mormon church is anything special, never mind what it claims for itself. I disagree with the stance of the church on a lot of social issues. I'm not sure that the leaders are honest.
SP: I see. I know all about John Dehlin.
malkie: huh?
SP:
malkie: I never mentioned John Dehlin - I wasn't talking about him.
SP: OK, then. That potato salad looks good - I wonder who made it.

A couple of years later I met John Dehlin, and told him this story, thinking that it would at least make him smile. He just looked at me like I'd made a rude noise. Then he walked away.
Lol!
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

Since On Being Project is comparable I compared the 990s. While Tippet of On Being gets around 12%, total salaries are roughly 44+% (one year over 50%) of what was brought in. So it would seem a NP operating in a services/education type setting can be expected to pay about half in salaries for the people running the NP. So John Dehlin is a little high, but going back roughly completely in-line. Another interesting tidbit is Tippet has had total compensation of 200,000+ except 2014 when it is half, but is that half for the whole year, or did she only work for half the year so in effect was paid $200,000+ out of the gate. Another thing JP loves to bitch about is John Dehlin getting raises. Tippet went from 292k for 2020 to 375k for 2021, 27% raise. Granted John Dehlin has a year he doubled, but I think it is more complicated, I could be wrong, but I think it is around when he finished his PhD. I’m not saying you have to agree with John Dehlin or think he is sitting right, but I also think the evidence points to it not being slam dunk everyone must agree it is egregious as JP would want us to believe.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Someone is welcome to correct me if I am wrong. It would be my understanding that the organization as a nonprofit is not taxed. Mr Dehlin must pay his own tax on what funds go to him as his compensation, income. The larger the portion of total organization funds that go to individuals as pay the larger the portion that taxes are paid on.

I do not imagine folks who send money to the organization are expecting that money to be spent on something other than production cost including paying the people doing the work to make it happen. I am unaware of any claims made by the organization that it is feeding the homeless in Park City.

I am unsure why the complaints, if you do not think the production is worth it do not send money or support, free choice.