Mormon Stories finances vs. LDS finances

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Mormon Stories finances vs. LDS finances

Post by jpatterson »

Just did my periodic check on Mormon Stories finances to see that their 990 from 2020 is finally posted. They're still a year behind on sharing their latest finances (even thought they claim transparency, they only do what is technically required of them). They would have filed 2021 no later than the fall of last year, yet it's nowhere to be found on their website. In reality, Open Stories Foundation only posts their finances when they're released on ProPublica.

Anyway, for the tax year 2020, total revenue for the non-profit Open Stories Foundation was a little over $511,000. Of that, John took home a handsome $215,000, equaling 55% of the total revenue. :shock:

Excellence in Giving, a non-profit watchdog group, reported in 2022 that the average CEO compensation for a non-profit with revenue between $500K to $1 million is around $72,000, meaning John would be in the 99.99999th percentile in terms of his salary compared to other NPs.

So it's rather amusing to see MS doing all sorts of dancing on the Church's grave over the 60 minutes piece.

The Church is not transparent in its finances. Neither is Open Stories Foundation. Tax exempt donations for both orgs are being steered in ways that are outside the norm, or at the very best operate in and take advantage of grey areas. Both organizations take advantage of being on the grey areas of the law. The Church, because it's too big, John because he's too small.

What's good for the goose seems to be not good for the gander for someone like John.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Mormon Stories finances vs. LDS finances

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Very interesting post! Thanks for taking the time to shine a light on Open Stories Foundation and John Dehlin’s salary.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:31 pm
Anyway, for the tax year 2020, total revenue for the non-profit Open Stories Foundation was a little over $511,000. Of that, John took home a handsome $215,000, equaling 55% of the total revenue. :shock:

The Church is not transparent in its finances. Neither is Open Stories Foundation.
Have you considered pursuing a career in apologetics? If Open Stories Foundation is not transparent then how did you get those numbers? You report that you got it from the report they released, and not some whistleblower which is how the church got found out. You undermine your ax to grind when you engage in such hyperbole with people who have learned to look critically at the apologetic way of framing things.

Does Excellence in Giving have numbers for non-profits that are education/podcast/media based? Let’s compare apples to apples before you get me to get out my pitchfork.

I promise to continue to not donate to Open Stories Foundation though.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Excellence in Giving, a non-profit watchdog group, reported in 2022 that the average CEO compensation for a non-profit with revenue between $500K to $1 million is around $72,000, meaning John would be in the 99.99999th percentile in terms of his salary compared to other NPs.
Doesn't Dehlin do work besides being CEO? the services provided are allowed compensation, even in non profits,and beyond CEO obligations.

I served on a board where we had a similar situation. The CEO-equivalent also provided the bulk of the services of the non-profit. We were very specific in carefully documenting his service time, in order to be completely transparent in our finances, but we also didn't ignore the fact that he deserved to be fairly paid for his non-CEO related work.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:00 pm
Doesn't Dehlin do work besides being CEO? the services provided are allowed compensation, even in non profits,and beyond CEO obligations.

I served on a board where we had a similar situation. The CEO-equivalent also provided the bulk of the services of the non-profit. We were very specific in carefully documenting his service time, in order to be completely transparent in our finances, but we also didn't ignore the fact that he deserved to be fairly paid for his non-CEO related work.
I think that’s a fair point. John Dehlin wears a few different hats, and let’s be honest- no John Dehlin, no Open Stories Foundation. How many non-profits would disappear if their CEO went away? I’d guess that many of them would be fine, that they have a plug and play organization. Open Stories Foundation? Nah. John Dehlin goes away, Open Stories Foundation goes away. Gotta pay the talent, man.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

Another question popped up, JP you have said you work in the nonprofit sector. What one do you work for? For transparency I would like to look at how it stacks up with Excellence in Giving. I just want to make sure that as I reject the church, and Open Stories Foundation, that I don’t end up with egg on my face cause I trusted a guy working for a worse nonprofit.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

This is from the most recent (2019 i think) 990 for Open Stories Foundation that is posted on GuideStar:
THE BOARD EVALUATES COMPARATIVE DATA FROM SIMILAR ORGANIZATIONS AND ALSO REVIEWS ORGANIZAT [PAGE 6] ION PERFORMANCE IN SETTING COMPENSATION.

IN 2018, THE BOARD CHANGED THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR PART VI, 'S COMPENSATION METHOD FROM A STANDARD SALARY PLUS BONUS. THE NEW STRUCTURE IS MORE ALiGNE [LINE 15A] D WITH EACH MAJOR ROLE PERFORMED BY THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR. UNDER THIS NEW STRUCTURE, HIS COMPENSATION INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS: - A SALARY FOR THIS ROLE AS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (75,000). - VARIABLE COMPENSATION FOR HOSTING Mormon STORIES PODCAST EQUAL TO 75% OF ANY CONTRIBUTIONS RECEIVED DIRECTLY FOR THE Mormon STORIES PODCAST, SUBJECT TO A MAXIMUM COMPENSATION AMOUNT ESTABLISHED BY THE BOARD. - A FIXED FEE PAID FOR EACH EVENT HE LEADS FOR THE ORGANIZATION. THIS FEE IS CONSISTENT WITH THE FEES PAID TO OTHER PROFESSIONALS WHO PARTICIPATE IN THESE EVENTS. - A DISCRETIONARY BONUS AS DETERMINED BY THE BOARD BASED ON HIS PERFORMANCE AS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR. - HEALTH INSURANCE, AND - A SEPP-BASED RETIREMENT PLA
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:08 pm
Marcus wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:00 pm

I think that’s a fair point. John Dehlin wears a few different hats, and let’s be honest- no John Dehlin, no Open Stories Foundation. How many non-profits would disappear if their CEO went away? I’d guess that many of them would be fine, that they have a plug and play organization. Open Stories Foundation? Nah. John Dehlin goes away, Open Stories Foundation goes away. Gotta pay the talent, man.

- Doc
that's my thought. This is in the latest 990, i posted the full piece above
UNDER THIS NEW STRUCTURE, HIS COMPENSATION INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS: - A SALARY FOR THIS ROLE AS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (75,000). - VARIABLE COMPENSATION FOR HOSTING Mormon STORIES PODCAST EQUAL TO 75% OF ANY CONTRIBUTIONS RECEIVED DIRECTLY FOR THE Mormon STORIES PODCAST, SUBJECT TO A MAXIMUM.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Yeah, nice try James.

The Mormon church has zero transparency into its finances, because it is a religion. Open Stories Foundation is not a religion, and is a non profit, and is required by law to file public reports.

The fact you can't see the difference here is just showing how you’ll try to make any argument against John to make him look bad, regardless of the quality of that argument.

You’re simultaneously arguing John makes too much money, and John hides how much money he makes. Which is it?
2bizE
Nursery

Post by 2bizE »

I have no concerns with John’s salary. It is less than he would be making at Microsoft, which I believe he left to develop Mormon Stories. He cranks out a lot of interviews. I do not think that salary is excessive.