Mormon Stories finances vs. LDS finances

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Mormon Stories finances vs. LDS finances

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I'm surprised that John doesn't take a much bigger salary.

Does anyone else have the reach or influence of John Dehlin? Regardless of what you personally think of John, he is reaching hundreds of millions.

Just on only one social media platform (YouTube) alone, John now has close to 62 million video views. Take into consideration Spotify, Apple Podcast, Soundcloud, TikTok and many other platforms, John Dehlin probably has as much social media reach, if not more, than the LDS Church.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=157437
Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Tue May 16, 2023 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:01 pm

Does anyone else have the reach or influence of John Dehlin? Regardless of what you personally think of John, he is reaching hundreds of millions.

Just on only one social media platform (YouTube) alone, John now has close to 65 million video views. Take into consideration Spotify, Apple Podcast, Soundcloud, TikTok and many other platforms, John Dehlin probably has as much social media reach, if not more, than the LDS Church.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=157437

Not to mention, if you agree with Dehlin’s goal of taking down the cult, you should want him to continue.

James agreed with John’s goal, then lost his testimony of the truthfulness of the prophet John Dehlin. Come back to the fold, James!
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Dwight wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:59 pm

Have you considered pursuing a career in apologetics? If Open Stories Foundation is not transparent then how did you get those numbers?
From publicly available documents. You don't really get to pat yourself on the back for being transparent when you're literally required to disclose them by law.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:01 pm

"I'm surprised the Church doesn't have an even bigger nest egg. Whatever you personally think of the Church, they're reaching hundreds of millions."
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

drumdude wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:04 pm

Not to mention, if you agree with Dehlin’s goal of taking down the cult, you should want him to continue.
Now this is some absurd logic. Because I agree with someone's goals it does not follow that I give them carte blanche in how they carry out the pursuit of those goals. I know you're smarter than this.

I'm more than happy to say I want the mission of Mormon Stories to continue. John's 100% the wrong person to be doing it, and it's hubris on his part and prophet worship on yours to think it would die if he wasn't doing it.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:12 pm
This is from the most recent (2019 i think) 990 for Open Stories Foundation that is posted on GuideStar:
THE BOARD EVALUATES COMPARATIVE DATA FROM SIMILAR ORGANIZATIONS AND ALSO REVIEWS ORGANIZAT [PAGE 6] ION PERFORMANCE IN SETTING COMPENSATION.

IN 2018, THE BOARD CHANGED THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR PART VI, 'S COMPENSATION METHOD FROM A STANDARD SALARY PLUS BONUS. THE NEW STRUCTURE IS MORE ALiGNE [LINE 15A] D WITH EACH MAJOR ROLE PERFORMED BY THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR. UNDER THIS NEW STRUCTURE, HIS COMPENSATION INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS: - A SALARY FOR THIS ROLE AS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (75,000). - VARIABLE COMPENSATION FOR HOSTING Mormon STORIES PODCAST EQUAL TO 75% OF ANY CONTRIBUTIONS RECEIVED DIRECTLY FOR THE Mormon STORIES PODCAST, SUBJECT TO A MAXIMUM COMPENSATION AMOUNT ESTABLISHED BY THE BOARD. - A FIXED FEE PAID FOR EACH EVENT HE LEADS FOR THE ORGANIZATION. THIS FEE IS CONSISTENT WITH THE FEES PAID TO OTHER PROFESSIONALS WHO PARTICIPATE IN THESE EVENTS. - A DISCRETIONARY BONUS AS DETERMINED BY THE BOARD BASED ON HIS PERFORMANCE AS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR. - HEALTH INSURANCE, AND - A SEPP-BASED RETIREMENT PLA
I’m interested in your thoughts on my point, jp.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:12 pm
drumdude wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:04 pm

Now this is some absurd logic. Because I agree with someone's goals it does not follow that I give them carte blanche in how they carry out the pursuit of those goals. I know you're smarter than this.

I'm more than happy to say I want the mission of Mormon Stories to continue. John's 100% the wrong person to be doing it, and it's hubris on his part and prophet worship on yours to think it would die if he wasn't doing it.

Have you noticed that he has recently had hosts doing episodes without him?

For someone like John that’s huge progress. And he’s not going to live forever. Mormon Stories will continue after he’s gone.
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

No, but you also can’t say they aren’t transparent. Open Stories Foundation at least is following the law. The same can not be said of the church.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Dwight wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:18 pm
No, but you also can’t say they aren’t transparent. Open Stories Foundation at least is following the law. The same can not be said of the church.
Great bar you're setting there. "At least he's not as bad as the Church!"
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

drumdude wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:14 pm

For someone like John that’s huge progress. And he’s not going to live forever. Mormon Stories will continue after he’s gone.
So he's doing less podcasting work and getting paid more? Interesting.