Mormon Stories finances vs. LDS finances

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: Mormon Stories finances vs. LDS finances

Post by Doctor Steuss »

So, basically (based on the OP, and the document quoted by Marcus), the problem is that Dehlin’s salary as Executive Director is $75,000 instead of $72,000.

I definitely see the LDS finances parallel.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

$75,000 is probably the amount some General Authority’s son in law contractor gets for hanging the chandelier in a temple lobby.

It’s literally in the noise given how much money they take in.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:28 pm
Marcus wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:13 pm

I’m interested in your thoughts on my point, jp.
I work for a large health system where the CEO wears multiple hats and has three official titles.

Her compensation is still only 1.8% of total revenue. That's how real NPs do it.
I’m not understanding your point. Is she compensated for her work? Is her compensation documented? Is her CEO salary within the recommendations you quoted above? What is the total revenue of the NP, or can you give a range if you’d rather not be specific.

Also, could you address my point more specifically, since you’re wanting to continue this discussion?
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:59 pm
jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:28 pm

I work for a large health system where the CEO wears multiple hats and has three official titles.

Her compensation is still only 1.8% of total revenue. That's how real NPs do it.
I’m not understanding your point. Is she compensated for her work? Is her compensation documented? Is her CEO salary within the recommendations you quoted above? What is the total revenue of the NP, or can you give a range if you’d rather not be specific.

Also, could you address my point more specifically, since you’re wanting to continue this discussion?
You didn't make a point, you quoted a 990 filing.

Restate your point and what specifically you'd like me to respond to.

Also to be clear, I'm not arguing John is paid too much. I'm arguing he's paid too much in relation to the revenue of the NP he runs. If your non-profit's main mission is to provide a comfortable living for your CEO, you're not a non profit.

Raking in over half of your NPs revenue makes you a crappy CEO. For that salary John is doing an incredibly poor job of driving revenue.
Last edited by jpatterson on Tue May 16, 2023 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

N = 1
Applies to all “real non profits”
Such ridiculous, obsessive drivel
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:14 pm
N = 1
According to you. My opinions are based on NP industry standards.
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:16 pm
Dr Moore wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:14 pm
N = 1
…according to you.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:21 pm
jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:16 pm
…according to you.
Show your work. Quote me some NP industry reputable information that backs up your arguments or else just keep talking out of your behind.
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:23 pm
Dr Moore wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:21 pm
…according to you.
Show your work. Quote me some NP industry reputable information that backs up your arguments or else just keep talking out of your behind.
I’m not making the assertions here. You are. What is the industry standard for non-profit CEO pay, in dollars? Percent of revenue is meaningless in a competitive market. It’s dollar comp you need to show.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:27 pm
jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:23 pm
I’m not making the assertions here. You are. What is the industry standard for non-profit CEO pay, in dollars? Percent of revenue is meaningless in a competitive market. It’s dollar comp you need to show.
You're just showing how little you understand about the NP world. Compensation is not based solely on the competitive market. It's also based in relation to carrying out the mission of the non-profit. For profit companies' ultimate goal is to make people richer. That's not the ultimate goal of a NP.

Hence the words: NON-profit.

That's why NP watch dog groups report average salaries in relation to the size of NP (based on revenue). You act as if I'm making up this standard.

Hence, percent of revenue is absolutely not only an appropriate, but an accepted standard for judging CEO salaries in the industry. Because if you're using your money primarily to pay your executives, you've crossed the line from being a NP to being for profit.
Last edited by jpatterson on Tue May 16, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.