Mormon Stories finances vs. LDS finances

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Mormon Stories finances vs. LDS finances

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

The CEO of NPR makes over $600k. The top 30 earners at NPR make more than John Dehlin. Is NPR a crappy NP?

The 2018 CEO of nonprofit health care giant Kaiser Permanente made nearly $18 million. Is KP a crappy NP?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:36 pm
Dr Moore wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:27 pm
I’m not making the assertions here. You are. What is the industry standard for non-profit CEO pay, in dollars? Percent of revenue is meaningless in a competitive market. It’s dollar comp you need to show.
You're just showing how little you understand about the NP world. Compensation is not based solely on the competitive market. It's also based on relation carrying out the mission of the non-profit. For profit companies' ultimate goal is to make people richer. That's not the ultimate goal of a NP.

Hence the words: NON-profit.

Hence, percent of revenue is absolutely not only an appropriate, but an accepted standard for judging CEO salaries in the industry. Because if you're using your money primarily to pay your executives, you've crossed the line from being a NP to being for profit.
You’re good at slinging lame insults around. Whatever. It only betrays your strange obsession with making a point without doing the hard work of showing why your point should be bought.

Still, you have not answered the question regarding your fundamental assertion. Open Stories Foundation exists primarily to bring John’s content to market. People find the content a worthy cause for donating, or they wouldn’t donate. What proof do you offer that he is dollar over compensated for his time?

Also, do you actually believe that griping about this online is going to somehow cause an IRS inquiry? Go complain to the IRS if your kungfu is as strong as you think. I am sure we all stand ready to hear about your successful overturn of the Open Stories Foundation tax status.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Just a quick Google search shows hundreds of NP's and their compensation for 2022. These were eye opening for me. John Dehlin deserves to make much more. Thanks to jpatt and his OP for pointing out how much John is underpaid, I've just donated 5k to the Open Stories Foundation. Keep up the great work John!!

Christus Health
Ernie Sadau
Chief Executive Officer
Compensation
$13,463,390

Star One
R. Hildebrande
Chief Executive Officer
Compensation
$12,465,866

New York Presbyterian Hospital
Steven J. Corwin
Chief Executive Officer
Compensation
$12,414,295

Banner Health
Peter S. Fine Fache,
Chief Executive Officer
$11,256,938

API
Jack N Gerard,
Chief Executive Officer
Compensation
$10,669,493

Ascension Health Alliance
Anthony R Tersigni
Chief Executive Officer
Compensation
$10,631,627
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Countdown to a pivot to Rosebud in

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:13 pm
Marcus wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:59 pm
I’m not understanding your point. Is she compensated for her work? Is her compensation documented? Is her CEO salary within the recommendations you quoted above? What is the total revenue of the NP, or can you give a range if you’d rather not be specific.

Also, could you address my point more specifically, since you’re wanting to continue this discussion?
You didn't make a point, you quoted a 990 filing.

Restate your point and what specifically you'd like me to respond to.

Also to be clear, I'm not arguing John is paid too much. I'm arguing he's paid too much in relation to the revenue of the NP he runs.
lol.
You
Excellence in Giving, a non-profit watchdog group, reported in 2022 that the average CEO compensation for a non-profit with revenue between $500K to $1 million is around $72,000,
990 of Open Stories Foundation
UNDER THIS NEW STRUCTURE, HIS
COMPENSATION INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS: - A SALARY FOR THIS ROLE AS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (75,000).
Why do you think he is being compensated at over 200k for his ceo position?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:05 pm
jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:13 pm

You didn't make a point, you quoted a 990 filing.

Restate your point and what specifically you'd like me to respond to.

Also to be clear, I'm not arguing John is paid too much. I'm arguing he's paid too much in relation to the revenue of the NP he runs.
lol.
You
Excellence in Giving, a non-profit watchdog group, reported in 2022 that the average CEO compensation for a non-profit with revenue between $500K to $1 million is around $72,000,
UNDER THIS NEW STRUCTURE, HIS
COMPENSATION INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS: - A SALARY FOR THIS ROLE AS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (75,000).
Why do you think he is being compensated at over 2k for his ceo position?
Oh...My....Gawd....

jpatterson's OP and obsession is over a measly 3k in compensation? Seriously jpatt?!
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:08 pm
Marcus wrote:
lol.
You

Why do you think he is being compensated at over 2k for his ceo position?
Oh...My....Gawd....

jpatterson's OP and obsession is over a measly 3k in compensation? Seriously jpatt?!
My fault, Everybody Wang Chung, that should read “over 200 k” in my last sentence.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Marcus wrote:

Why do you think he is being compensated at over 200k for his ceo position?
His accountant has devised a very clever scheme to make sure he milks as much compensation from the non-profit as possible.

I'm not sure why this is surprising to anyone here. John has stated on multiple occasions, publicly, that this is his goal. He sees the non-profit as his personal breadbasket.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:29 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:25 pm
Just out of curiosity, who do you think would be doing a better job reaching more people than John Dehlin?
If, given the same platform and resources that John has been given, Lindsey Hansen Park would be even bigger than John is now. Without a doubt. She's smarter, savvier, and most of all has way more integrity.
John wasn’t “given” anything.

You’re a moron.

No offense.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:36 pm
The CEO of NPR makes over $600k. The top 30 earners at NPR make more than John Dehlin. Is NPR a crappy NP?
You think comparing Mormon Stories to NPR in terms of dollars-to-dollars executive compensation is a fair comparison?

How many people does NPR employ? What's their reach?

How many people does John manage at Open Stories Foundation? What is the podcast reach?

NPR brings in $288 million dollars each year. Of that, they spend $600K in CEO compensation. A grand total of .2 percent.

You are either being willfully obtuse or do not grasp basic math to understand that, comparing those two organizations your conclusion is that John is actually underpaid.