Does the Interpreter Foundation Have Colonialist Ambitions?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Re: Does the Interpreter Foundation Have Colonialist Ambitions?

Post by Rivendale »

Roger Hendrix did a Mormon stories interview where he was explaining the church’s business model for Africa. In my opinion a form of Neocolonialism. By using BYU"s pathways and the perpetual education fund Africans can get a cheap local education. Elevating church broke educated Africans into business/government positions strengthens the church’s leverage abroad. Essentially creating Gordon Smith clones throughout Africa.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

You make it sound like the LDS Church does nothing good by providing people around the world a chance to acquire more education.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:59 pm
You make it sound like the LDS Church does nothing good by providing people around the world a chance to acquire more education.
British imperialism did some good. But ultimately the Crown was in charge. Likewise, the LDS church isn’t setting up autonomous independent churches. They’re setting up franchise locations.

Unless the church is planning on operating completely against the norm, they’re going to be taking tithes from Africa and putting them in the bank at ensign peak. That seems to be the definition of colonialism.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:59 pm
I am sure the KKK did some good and allegedly Mussolini made the trains run on time.....no thanks I will walk.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Rivendale wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:32 pm
I am sure the KKK did some good and allegedly Mussolini made the trains run on time.....no thanks I will walk.
Those are truly absurd comparisons.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:35 pm
British imperialism did some good. But ultimately the Crown was in charge. Likewise, the LDS church isn’t setting up autonomous independent churches. They’re setting up franchise locations.

Unless the church is planning on operating completely against the norm, they’re going to be taking tithes from Africa and putting them in the bank at ensign peak. That seems to be the definition of colonialism.
I agree that EPA is a problem, but the comparison of the LDS Church to a global empire is ridiculous.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:42 pm
Rivendale wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:32 pm
Those are truly absurd comparisons.
Nelson has specifically targeted cultural traditions. One example is the plea to stop the Dowery in leu of tithing. The evidence seems to point towards a micro imperialism. And furthermore I didn't make the claim that getting an education is a bad thing. Rodger Hendrix insinuated that the business model points to that. Have you watched the interview?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:44 pm
drumdude wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:35 pm

I agree that EPA is a problem, but the comparison of the LDS Church to a global empire is ridiculous.
Maybe Africa will be a net negative for the church, more money flowing into it than out. One commenter on SeN suggested that very idea.

What would you call it if the church does end up pumping more money out of African members than it donates back? How do you not characterize it as exploiting a foreign people for financial gain?

Also, as far as empires go, the church’s income of around 10 billion a year puts it above the GDP of many countries. It would rank around 155 of 214 countries.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Reverend—

I admire your positive outlook. I couldn’t help but notice your choice of words, though. You call Interpreter’s actions in the DRC “comparatively benign.” Given some of the other comparative examples that have come up, that is unquestionably true. But I’m curious: do you think that The Interpreter Foundation is doing a *good* thing? (Or the LDS Church, for that matter?) or is this more of a “do no harm” kind of situation?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Maybe Africa will be a net negative for the church, more money flowing into it than out. One commenter on SeN suggested that very idea.

What would you call it if the church does end up pumping more money out of African members than it donates back? How do you not characterize it as exploiting a foreign people for financial gain?

Also, as far as empires go, the church’s income of around 10 billion a year puts it above the GDP of many countries. It would rank around 155 of 214 countries.
There is a huge difference between military conquest with its accompanying bloodshed, pillaging, and destruction, on the one hand, and missionary work, on the other. It is true that in the past the two efforts worked hand in hand. In this case, persuading people to join a new faith is nothing like putting a sword to their throats and compelling them to do so.