Does the Interpreter Foundation Have Colonialist Ambitions?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Does the Interpreter Foundation Have Colonialist Ambitions?

Post by drumdude »

Since DCP has responded to a lot of what is said in this thread, I’ll ask it again.

How many of those black members know that 45 years ago they would be banned from the temple by Mormon church leaders due solely to the color of their skin?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

drumdude wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 9:04 pm
Since DCP has responded to a lot of what is said in this thread, I’ll ask it again.

How many of those black members know that 45 years ago they would be banned from the temple by Mormon church leaders due solely to the color of their skin?
They certainly aren't taught about the priesthood ban as investigators.
“Well, we have nothing to hide. Our history is an open book. They may find what they are looking for, but the fact is the history of the church is clear and open and leads to faith and strength and virtues.”
— Gordon B. Hinckley
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 3:11 pm
An explanatory note on my recent clarification.

Note that I said the preacher arrives at the mining town after the miners.

It isn't the case that the Mormon church sent missionaries first, who converted lost souls, who then by means of their conversion became blessed in their endeavors, learned to mine, and raised their standard of living, which then led to tithes to build the kingdom of God.

Africa is in transition for better or worse, with godless China quite possibly leading the way of its material rise, and there's good and bad with that because China certainly isn't good -- the local powers like it because they keep it about money. But then as the momentum accelerates, the Mormons storm the land the reap the harvest. See the difference? The greedy Mormon church is taking its cut of the prosperity, they aren't the impetus to the prosperity.
This is a good point, and I think your observation about the preacher is especially relevant. When the Spanish began to colonize the Americas, it wasn’t strictly a matter of economic exploitation. It was political, religious, and cultural as well. You’d think that someone who claims to “care very passionately about politics” would be able to grasp this basic idea.

In any case: I saw a new tidbit in which one of the Interpreter filmmakers was apparently violating the local laws in order to fly his drone.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Doctor Scratch wrote:In any case: I saw a new tidbit in which one of the Interpreter filmmakers was apparently violating the local laws in order to fly his drone.
Of course, it was for the greater good of building the kingdom, just like lying to the IRS. How does that saying go that they say over at SeN all the time, "With God, all is permitted?"
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I have noticed over the years a tendency among some LDS men to wink at cheating in various ways to save a buck. Things like registering a car in a place where insurance rates are cheaper and the like. That’s why the SEC business is both utterly predictable and amusing. Likewise, the fact that so many members don’t give a crap is no surprise.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 1:20 pm
I have noticed over the years a tendency among some LDS men to wink at cheating in various ways to save a buck. Things like registering a car in a place where insurance rates are cheaper and the like. That’s why the SEC business is both utterly predictable and amusing. Likewise, the fact that so many members don’t give a crap is no surprise.
Nuance Hoe parodied this on tiktok, it was hilarious.

“Better the church should have all that money than the government!”
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 1:20 pm
With God, nothing is impossible, even if it would otherwise be immoral. It's too bad the Brothers Karamazov never matured to reflect on this. The leaders of the Church are fortunate to live in a country where religious freedom is prized above just about anything else. Their crimes are covered to a degree for being performed in the name of God.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 1:57 pm
“Better the church should have all that money than the government!”
And now we know what they do with it: make more money and bail out their failing for-profit businesses.

That’s not my idea of what a Christian organization does.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Where there's God, there's fraud.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Interesting that the plugs for this project have all but disappeared from “SeN.” It will be interesting to see if they turn up again when it comes time to ask for donations.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14