Mike Parker returns with an olive branch, “What Heartlandism does to the human brain”

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Mike Parker returns with an olive branch, “What Heartlandism does to the human brain”

Post by drumdude »

He really took Rusty Nelson’s conference talk to heart.

https://www.nevillenevilleland.com/2023 ... n.html?m=1

Apparently Mike has a problem with Heartlanders making up their own history. It’s a huge problem when Heartlanders say that Joseph Smith’s family were prosperous farmers.

But it’s not a huge problem when you claim that Hebrews built a transoceanic vessel to sail to the Americas and built an entire civilization in Guatemala which disappeared without a trace.

You’re only allowed to make up history that agrees with the M2C cartel.

This is your brain on Two Hills Cumorah… :roll:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Mike Parker returns with an olive branch, “What Heartlandism does to the human brain”

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I had never heard, not one time, that the Smiths were prosperous farmers. Where in the world are the Heartlanders getting this idea?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Re: Mike Parker returns with an olive branch, “What Heartlandism does to the human brain”

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 11:29 pm

Apparently Mike has a problem with Heartlanders making up their own history. It’s a huge problem when Heartlanders say that Joseph Smith’s family were prosperous farmers.

But it’s not a huge problem when you claim that Hebrews built a transoceanic vessel to sail to the Americas and built an entire civilization in Guatemala which disappeared without a trace.

Who is “Political Junkbox”?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:

Yes. This is Mike Parker, Dec 2021:
John Sorenson on Book of Mormon pseudoscholarship
By Peter | Tags: Heartland hoax, John L. Sorenson, Responsible scholarship

Dr. John L. Sorenson (1942-2021) I’m saddened by the passing of Dr. John L. Sorenson on December 8, 2021. The quality and quantity of his work cannot be understated. It’s largely because of him that the Book of Mormon has been firmly established as a historical text of a real people who lived in ancient America.

https://www.nevillenevilleland.com/2021 ... rship.html
:roll:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Parker knows that if the Smiths were prosperous farmers, there would have been no need for treasure-digging or religious creation efforts.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

It’s largely because of him that the Book of Mormon has been firmly established as a historical text of a real people who lived in ancient America.
Ah, OK. Mike Parker is either uninformed or kinda dumb!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 11:23 am
It’s largely because of him that the Book of Mormon has been firmly established as a historical text of a real people who lived in ancient America.
Ah, OK. Mike Parker is either uninformed or kinda dumb!
I'll take Kinda Dumb for $150,000,000,000 Kish...
TwoCumorahFraud
Star A

Post by TwoCumorahFraud »

• 1923 Map by Louis E. Hills

Parker! Get a Brain! Don't you want one restored to you in the Resurrection?

Last edited by TwoCumorahFraud on Fri May 19, 2023 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Speaking of “this is what Mormonism does to your brain”. From the comments section:
commanderstitchMay 18, 2023 at 11:51 AM

I ran in to this recently in my studies, the fact that Joseph Smith had to overcome his desire to get the plates for wealth was BECAUSE they were poor farmers. ("i made an attempt to get them out, but was forbidden")(yeah, I wonder why, GOLD! hey!) He knew it; God knew it. The emphasis on Joseph winning over Josiah Stoal in 'finally I prevailed with the old gentleman to cease digging after it.' (silver mine) shows tremendous growth in character and doubtless played into his ability to get the plates from Moroni years later. <3 Great posts Peter.
PeterMay 18, 2023 at 12:10 PM

That’s an excellent historical connection!
Note Pater Pan didn’t explain to her the gold plates were actually tumbaga, and would’ve been worthless as a precious metal. Also note, these people still believe, as adults, in 2023, that an angel swiped gold plates (that weren’t used, anyway) because *reasons*, but the mummy and papyri used to produce the Book of Abraham was allowed to be used as a money-making sideshow for the Smiths.

You know, you have to be special kind of idiot to keep attaching yourself to this level of nonsense.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

My problem is not that he believes it. It is that he believes it and calls other people with comparably credible views apostates or idiots. The narcissism of minor differences.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow