FAIR Conference 2023

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tom
Area Authority

FAIR Conference 2023

Post by Tom »

I am very much looking forward to the upcoming FAIR Conference. Moksha, do you recall where the conference is being held this year? I have a faint memory that you mentioned it here. Edit: as pointed out by Moksha in April, the conference will be held on the Lehi Rodeo grounds this year. Yeehaw!

Here is a rundown of the speakers and topics:

Wednesday, August 2

Dan Peterson: Six Days in August (note: Jesus will cry if Dr. Peterson makes a joke about Pee Wee Herman playing the role of James Strang; he will also cry if Strang does not appear in Six Days)
Don Bradley: Joseph Smith's Sincerity
Kerry Hull: Book of Mormon
Avram Shannon: Book of Mormon
Andrew Young: Whistleblowers in the Last Days
Derek Westra: Portrayal of Latter-day Saints in Television
Stephen Smoot: Pressing Forward with the Book of Abraham
Jenet Erickson: For the Strength of Youth: Moving from Compliance and Defiance to Integrity in Covenant Relationship
Michael R. Ash and Ugo A. Perego: The Apparent Genetic Discrepancy between Mormon's Narrative and the Origin of the Native Americans

Thursday, August 3

President Brian Ashton: BYU Pathways
George Mitton: Joseph Smith and the Magical Contest
Neal Rappleye: Material Plates, Spiritual Vision
Janiece Johnson: Convicting the Mormons: The Mountain Meadows Massacre in American Culture (book promotion)
LaJean Carruth (WW Papers): What did Brigham Young really say?
Jen Yorgason Thatcher: Ways to Choose Faith when Questions, Doubts and Persecution Arise
Michaelbrent Collings: Finding Light in the Darkness: The Necessity of Horror in the Gospel
John W. Welch: The Seven Seals in the Apocalypse of John

Friday, August 4

Jenny Reeder: Eliza R. Snow Project
John Gee: The Covenant to Defend the Kingdom of God
Jennifer Roach: Abuse and the Church
Keith Erekson: Making Sense of Your Patriarchal Blessing (book promotion)
Ralph Hancock: The Restored Gospel and the New Liberalism: The Inescapability of Political Apologetics
Tarik LaCour: Facing up to Racism in the Church: Looking Forward by Looking Back
Brant Gardner: Reading Over Mormon's Shoulder: Watching Mormon fulfill the two purposes listed in the Title Page
Steve Densley: Proving the Church is True

Lunchtime recitals and harangues will be provided each day by David Glen Hatch.
Last edited by Tom on Thu May 18, 2023 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Kishkumen
God

Re: FAIR Conference 2023

Post by Kishkumen »

Lots of stuff I would like to hear!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Especially the talk about whistleblowers in the last days…
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Thanks Tom! Although, I see you forgot two of the keynote speakers:

Mike Parker-- My Year Of Living As A Black Man In Hurricane, Utah While Sticking It To The Man.

Robert Boylan -- Why Hitler's Favorite Video Game Would Have Been Mein Kraft And Other DezNazi Jokes.
Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Thu May 18, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

consiglieri wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:08 pm
Especially the talk about whistleblowers in the last days…
Indeed! That was on my list of must-see/hear FAIR '23 presentations.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

Look forward to Smoot's Pressing Forward with the Book of Abraham" I wonder who is supervising his PHd at the Catholic University of America.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Tom wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 4:37 pm
Stephen Smoot: Pressing Forward with the Book of Abraham

I'll be your friend to the end if you tell me the king's name, Smoot-baby. But if you can't, then I'll have to play rough!

drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I hear Elder Bednar will be a surprise guest with his talk “I know you have the faith to be saved, but do you have the faith not to be saved?”
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

drumdude wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:48 pm
I hear Elder Bednar will be a surprise guest with his talk “I know you have the faith to be saved, but do you have the faith not to be saved?”
I also hear that David Glen Hatch will be singing ‘Over the Rainbow’ by Judy Garland.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

He’s going to be fabulous!