FAIR Conference 2023

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: FAIR Conference 2023

Post by Moksha »

I think the lunchtime reenactment of the great Midgley-Lincoln Debate, at the Thanksgiving Point Chuck-a-Rama, will create great nostalgia.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

hauslern wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:30 pm
Look forward to Smoot's Pressing Forward with the Book of Abraham" I wonder who is supervising his PHd at the Catholic University of America.
I haven't heard. Professor Dieleman looks to be a candidate, though. I hope Dr. Gee and Dee Jay Nelson (co-author of Life Force in the Great Pyramids) will serve on Brother Smoot's dissertation committee.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:38 pm

Robert Boylan -- Why Hitler's Favorite Video Game Would Have Been Mein Kraft And Other DezNazi Jokes.
That was awesome .

Here’s mein Kraft:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Rearranging the deck chairs: here is the latest schedule for the FAIR conference, which will be held on the Lehi Rodeo grounds this year:

Wednesday, August 2

Dan Peterson: Understanding History Backwards (note: Jesus will cry if Dr. Peterson makes a joke about Pee Wee Herman playing the role of James Strang; he will also cry if Strang does not appear in Six Days)
Michael R. Ash and Ugo A. Perego: The Apparent Genetic Discrepancy Between Mormon's Narrative and the Origin of Native Americans
Kerry Hull: Luminosity and the Sacred
Avram Shannon: "Written in the Books of Moses": Mosaic Authorship and Authority in the Book of Mormon
Andrew Young: Whistleblowers in the Last Days
Derek Westra: Portrayal of Latter-day Saints in Television
Stephen Smoot: Pressing Forward with the Book of Abraham
Jenet Erickson: For the Strength of Youth: Moving from Compliance and Defiance to Integrity in Covenant Relationship
Don Bradley: Knowing Brother Joseph: How the Historical Record Demonstrates the Prophet's Religious Sincerity

Thursday, August 3

President Brian Ashton: BYU-Pathway: Serving the Hidden Many
George Mitton: Joseph Smith and the Magical Contest
Neal Rappleye: Material Plates, Spiritual Vision: Martin Harris, Divine Materiality, and Seeing with "Spiritual Eyes"
Janiece Johnson: Convicting the Mormons: The Mountain Meadows Massacre in American Culture (book promotion)
LaJean Carruth: His Accuracy was not What it Ought: Comparing George D. Watt's Original Shorthand Record to his Published Transcripts in the Journal of Discourses
Jen Yorgason Thatcher: Fostering Resilient Faith in the Midst of Questions, Doubts, and Loved Ones Leaving
Michaelbrent Collings: Finding Light in the Darkness: The Necessity of Horror in the Gospel
John W. Welch: The Seven Seals in the Apocalypse of John: Possible Cultural, Legal, and Imperial Contexts

Friday, August 4

Jenny Reeder: The Eliza R. Snow Project
John Gee: The Covenant to Defend the Kingdom of God
Ralph Hancock: The Restored Gospel and the New Liberalism: The Inescapability of Political Apologetics
Keith Erekson: Making Sense of Your Patriarchal Blessing (book promotion)
Jennifer Roach: Shedding Light on the Complexities: Understanding Abuse within the LDS Church
Brant Gardner: Reading Over Mormon's Shoulder: Watching Mormon fulfill the two purposes listed in the Title Page
Steve Densley: Proving the Church is True

Lunchtime recitals and harangues will be provided each day by David Glen Hatch.

Note: it appears that Tarik LaCour will not be speaking.
Last edited by Tom on Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Tom wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:28 pm
Rearranging the deck chairs: here is the latest schedule for the FAIR conference, which will be held on the Lehi Rodeo grounds this year.:

Wednesday, August 2

Dan Peterson: Understanding History Backwards (note: Jesus will cry if Dr. Peterson makes a joke about Pee Wee Herman playing the role of James Strang; he will also cry if Strang does not appear in Six Days)
Michael R. Ash and Ugo A. Perego: The Apparent Genetic Discrepancy Between Mormon's Narrative and the Origin of Native Americans
Kerry Hull: Luminosity and the Sacred
Avram Shannon: "Written in the Books of Moses": Mosaic Authorship and Authority in the Book of Mormon
Andrew Young: Whistleblowers in the Last Days
Derek Westra: Portrayal of Latter-day Saints in Television
Jenet Erickson: For the Strength of Youth: Moving from Compliance and Defiance to Integrity in Covenant Relationship
Don Bradley: Knowing Brother Joseph: How the Historical Record Demonstrates the Prophet's Religious Sincerity

Thursday, August 3

President Brian Ashton: BYU-Pathway: Serving the Hidden Many
George Mitton: Joseph Smith and the Magical Contest
Neal Rappleye: Material Plates, Spiritual Vision: Martin Harris, Divine Materiality, and Seeing with "Spiritual Eyes"
Janiece Johnson: Convicting the Mormons: The Mountain Meadows Massacre in American Culture (book promotion)
LaJean Carruth: His Accuracy was not What it Ought: Comparing George D. Watt's Original Shorthand Record to his Published Transcripts in the Journal of Discourses
Jen Yorgason Thatcher: Fostering Resilient Faith in the Midst of Questions, Doubts, and Loved Ones Leaving
Michaelbrent Collings: Finding Light in the Darkness: The Necessity of Horror in the Gospel
John W. Welch: The Seven Seals in the Apocalypse of John: Possible Cultural, Legal, and Imperial Contexts

Friday, August 4

Jenny Reeder: The Eliza R. Snow Project
John Gee: The Covenant to Defend the Kingdom of God
Ralph Hancock: The Restored Gospel and the New Liberalism: The Inescapability of Political Apologetics
Keith Erekson: Making Sense of Your Patriarchal Blessing (book promotion)
Jennifer Roach: Shedding Light on the Complexities: Understanding Abuse within the LDS Church
Brant Gardner: Reading Over Mormon's Shoulder: Watching Mormon fulfill the two purposes listed in the Title Page
Steve Densley: Proving the Church is True

Note: it appears that Tarik LaCour will not be speaking.
That was masterful, tom. Thank you!!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I’m crying laughing
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Tom wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:28 pm

Hey, little Smoot-boy, would you like to discuss the Book of Abraham with Shulem? Can you handle being a big boy? Or are you just chicken and hide behind Gee and pussy-Muhlestein?

Do you need your diaper changed? Come to Shulem and he'll help you.

MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Tom wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 9:55 pm
Professor Dieleman looks to be a candidate, though. I hope Dr. Gee and Dee Jay Nelson (co-author of Life Force in the Great Pyramids) will serve on Brother Smoot's dissertation committee.
Wait, is Dee Jay Nelson still alive?

My mind is blown if he is.

I'm going to be interviewed on Mormon Book Reviews in a few weeks and I may bring up fake evangelical doctorates if I get the chance.

EDIT: FAIR calls him "the late" Dee Jay Nelson, so if he's going to be on Smoot's committee, it will have to be a séance.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

MsJack wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:09 pm
Tom wrote:
Professor Dieleman looks to be a candidate, though. I hope Dr. Gee and Dee Jay Nelson (co-author of Life Force in the Great Pyramids) will serve on Brother Smoot's dissertation committee.

I'm going to be interviewed on Mormon Book Reviews in a few weeks and I may bring up fake evangelical doctorates if I get the chance.

EDIT: FAIR calls him "the late" Dee Jay Nelson, so if he's going to be on Smoot's committee, it will have to be a séance.
I believe he passed away in the late 1980s.

Posted from Hatch, Utah
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

MsJack wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:09 pm
Tom wrote:

Perhaps it's going to be one of these "ghost" committees that some Mormons like to hypothesize about.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!