FAIR Conference 2023

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: FAIR Conference 2023

Post by Gadianton »

looks like they added in one more talk near the end.

wealthy tech entrepreneur: Why the Church should burn my tithing rather than help the poor.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Rumor is they will be showing a sneak peek of Interpreter's next film:

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Tom wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:28 pm
Note: it appears that Tarik LaCour will not be speaking.
It seems his invite was inadvertently sent to Richard Nygren by mistake.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Update: the third day will now include a panel discussion featuring Ty and Danielle Mansfield and Skyler and Amanda Sorensen titled "Embracing Diversity: Navigating LGBTQ+ Experiences as a Latter-day Saint."
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Post by Canadiandude2 »

Tom wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:50 pm
Update: the third day will now include a panel discussion featuring Ty and Danielle Mansfield and Skyler and Amanda Sorensen titled "Embracing Diversity: Navigating LGBTQ+ Experiences as a Latter-day Saint."
Also known as “How I came to internalize my fellow queers as the antichrist, and lick the (heteronormative) boot upon my neck”

I have been told that we former-religious gays are also the kinkiest. All that trauma ain’t gonna w’rk out itself!
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Anyone planning to attend or to watch the conference online?

Who will receive the John Taylor Defender of the Faith Award?

Some candidates:

Jennifer Roach
Stephen Smoot
Sarah Allen (2022 recipient)
Mike Parker (2006 recipient)
Robert Boylan
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Tom wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:36 am
Who will receive the John Taylor Defender of the Faith Award?
I hear Richard Nygren is a shoe-in.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Tom wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 4:37 pm
I am very much looking forward to the upcoming FAIR Conference. Moksha, do you recall where the conference is being held this year? I have a faint memory that you mentioned it here. Edit: as pointed out by Moksha in April, the conference will be held on the Lehi Rodeo grounds this year. Yeehaw!

Here is a rundown of the speakers and topics:

Wednesday, August 2

Dan Peterson: Six Days in August (note: Jesus will cry if Dr. Peterson makes a joke about Pee Wee Herman playing the role of James Strang; he will also cry if Strang does not appear in Six Days)
[snip]
I regret to report that Dr. Peterson made a joke this morning about Pee Wee Herman playing the role of James Strang. "Some of you know that my hope in the movie was to have Pee Wee Herman play James Strang. My hopes have now been dashed."

Dr. Peterson also noted that James Strang will not appear in Six Days.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I noted that while he made a very long case for the authority of the 12, he rushed through and simply asserted the case for Brigham Young.

I don't think he has found a very solid foundation for Brigham yet, certainly not one as self-evident as "2+2=4."
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:44 pm
I noted that while he made a very long case for the authority of the 12, he rushed through and simply asserted the case for Brigham Young.

I don't think he has found a very solid foundation for Brigham yet, certainly not one as self-evident as "2+2=4."
Yes, that was a poor analogy.