reading the miracle forgiveness another time.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
yellowstone123
High Priest

reading the miracle forgiveness another time.

Post by yellowstone123 »

In 1981 Spencer Kimball wrote a letter to various stake presents on the west side of Orange County California telling them that they had to practice patience with the youth because they never have had to deal with the temptations that they did today. That was after my excommunication at 19 or a letter shortly later at age 20. My Bishop put it in my file.

The way I read the letter someone at SLC did a lot of digging into my life as they wanted me not at home excommunicated but in the Cleveland Ohio Mission (Stow) in 1981 knocking on doors. 90 percent of the letter was my last two years of my life.

I have alway held a soft spot for President Kimball for that letter. It was kind.

Today, Im reading the Miracle of forgiveness written around 1980. It cost twenty dollars on amazon. I just finished chapter one. D & C chapter 132 is sited I think more than any other verse. It's not a very kind book. I will reveal more as I read. A lot of Book of Mormon citations. I have to say that you get with it or you are out of the Kingdom from the first chapter.

Personally, I believe in a higher power and providence where all have a place. It's also very green. Everyone is together.
What's faster than a .45 caliber bullet fired from a 1911 A1? The main spring of the gun below the barrel that seems to escape faster when you turn the barrel bushing with a special tool.
Dr. Sunstoned
CTR B

Re: reading the miracle forgiveness another time.

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

I liked SWK. I met him at the airport at 7:30 in the morning as I was leaving on my mission. I was going, and he was coming. He stopped and talked with me for a few minutes. I didn't like his book. It was mean and very harsh. I am sure it did more damage than good. The one positive take a way from it is that true identity of Bigfoot was revealed.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Yes, we can all be very grateful to SWK for revealing Bigfoot's identity to the entire world. I would expect nothing less from a prophet.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Post by Fence Sitter »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 1:40 pm
It cost twenty dollars on amazon.
$3.65 on Ebay. Not that it is worth buying even at that price.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

It's amazing that a book so praised by apostles and prophets in General Conference has been allowed to go out of print. I guess it's true what they say about yesterday's doctrine being today's apologetics.

This book has received numerous accolades from LDS Church authorities. Ezra Taft Benson, who succeeded Kimball as church president, urged all church members "to read and reread President Spencer W. Kimball's book."[5] More recently, in the November 2004 General Conference, LDS Church apostle Richard G. Scott called it a "masterly work"[6] and, prior to that, "a superb guide to forgiveness through repentance."[7] Scott recommended reading the last two chapters first, to better appreciate the book's message.[8]

Although from 1976 to 1988 the LDS Church encouraged missionaries to read the book, since then it has not been part of the "approved missionary library".[9] The book went out of print in 2015.[10]

The book is controversial, even among Mormons, for its treatment of masturbation, homosexuality, premarital sex, and rape. Rape survivors have been published criticizing parts of the book including the phrase "It is better to die in defending one's [virginity] than to live having lost it without a struggle" as victim blaming and shaming rhetoric that contributes to rape culture.[11] Allen Bergin, a retired psychologist from Brigham Young University and past president of the Association of Mormon Counselors and Psychotherapists (AMCAP), felt the useful parts were "overshadowed by a host of negatives and also outdated policies that the church itself doesn't even endorse any more."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mirac ... orgiveness
Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Sun May 21, 2023 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
yellowstone123
High Priest

Post by yellowstone123 »

You cannot lose your virginity while being assaulted. No way!!! If so, girls on monkey bars or girls crashing their bike would lose their virginity. It’s pure crap. I will repeat: a girl that is assaulted (raped) does not lose their virginity. Its one of the stupidest statements ever said….
What's faster than a .45 caliber bullet fired from a 1911 A1? The main spring of the gun below the barrel that seems to escape faster when you turn the barrel bushing with a special tool.