Upcoming youth fireside for “hot button” issues

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Upcoming youth fireside for “hot button” issues

Post by drumdude »

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/med ... ung-adults

I’m sure this time they will have serious, salient, sufficient, sensible, and satisfactory answers, just as they have every other time they have spoken on difficult topics. It certainly won’t be fodder for more ex-Mormon mockery!
huckelberry
God

Re: Upcoming youth fireside for “hot button” issues

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude, is this the correct link? I saw something about a youth devotional, nothing about hot button issues or bland issues for that matter. I saw no promise about answers for difficult subjects. Nothing about difficult topics at all.

Is the lack your point by chance?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Forgot to include my source!
A well known LDS blogger wrote:Incidentally, President Dallin H. Oaks of the First Presidency and his wife, Sister Kristen M. Oaks, are scheduled to present a youth fireside this Sunday night. I’m told that it will likely address a number of what (to coin a wholly original new phrase) I’m going to call “hot-button issues.”
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... spels.html
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

The vexing question is if the kids know what old-man Oaks drivels are "hot button" issues. If Interpreter put him up to anything, then there's a big chance that the kids will have no idea of the controversy but now, the damage from learning of the issue will be greater than the healing from the bad reasoning and uncoolness of Oaks.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

The church isn't in the habit of discussing "hot button" issues publicly. So no, this upcoming youth fireside won't showcase or address them. At all.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
slskipper
Sunbeam

Post by slskipper »

One major problem is that the leaders see only one problem in people's lives, and that is the level of commitment to the leaders of the LDS church. News flash, Dallin- most of us have other problems that you idiots never quite seem to grasp. We have mortgages (you do not), we have medical expenses (you do not), we have career challenges (you do not), we have social issues (you do not, and please stop making fun of us who are awkward in social settings. It's not funny. It is hell.). So, Dallin- get your head out of your backside and realize that your special firesides have nothing to do with the issues your audience is really trying to deal with. Thank you.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I read the transcript. No hot button issues.

And if they're going to talk about sex and gender issues, couldn't they at least learn to use the terms properly?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Yes, they don't really have a handle on either term. I recall a Sunday fireside talk I had to attend at byu for the newly engaged. The "sex" advice-- Guys, cool your jets. Girls, try to get in to it. Or something like that. Ridiculously inappropriate and profoundly messed up.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:19 pm
Yes, they don't really have a handle on either term. I recall a Sunday fireside talk I had to attend at byu for the newly engaged. The "sex" advice-- Guys, cool your jets. Girls, try to get in to it. Or something like that. Ridiculously inappropriate and profoundly messed up.
Don’t forget Elder Ballard telling girls to “put on a little makeup now and then.”