The rock in the hat

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Re: The rock in the hat

Post by BeNotDeceived »

We're debating about wherther or not a rock in a hat is just as legit as having gold plates in creating the B of M when we're talking about a highly iniquitous con-man with 42+ instances of criminal misconduct in a period of 24 years who created an illegal bank and currency and caused most of his religion's members to end up destitute who was also a sexual predator and threat to women and young women who dared defy him who used the same rock he used to swindle people out of their money claiming he could see buried treasure in the bowels of the earth??? :oops:
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

BeNotDeceived wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:02 pm
We're debating about wherther or not a rock in a hat is just as legit as having gold plates in creating the B of M when we're talking about a highly iniquitous con-man with 42+ instances of criminal misconduct in a period of 24 years who created an illegal bank and currency and caused most of his religion's members to end up destitute who was also a sexual predator and threat to women and young women who dared defy him who used the same rock he used to swindle people out of their money claiming he could see buried treasure in the bowels of the earth??? :oops:
There you go, getting all hung up on the facts again. It seems, if one buys into Mormonism, that God doesn't care or hold back anything from the unworthy. So, party on!
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:22 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:38 pm
Remember that Joseph Smith was subjected to a legal proceeding for using the rock to find treasure. It seems he wanted to move away from the rock to avoid bringing up the past, at least that is what some scholars have said and it makes sense.
Dr Exiled. I may be forgetting something but I am a puzzled by your remark. Did not the court case take place before the creation of the Book of Mormon? I am not remembering Joseph Smith denying use of a seer stone though I understand he quit using it as the church grew.
Yes the court case took place prior and the critics would bring that up a lot. The NY members were more in to the magic world view and so seer stones were understandable instruments. However, the Kirtland members were of a different mind set, and so he wanted to move away from the seer stone when the church moved to Kirtland. I get this from Dan Vogel's book Joseph Smith The Making of a Prophet. It's in the last chapter toward the end.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
yellowstone123
High Priest

Post by yellowstone123 »

Also, Dr. Shades I tried to instant message why I came home early from my mission. I copied and pasted my word response to an instant méssage to your name. I try to fulfill what I say I’m going to do, not perfect, but I do my best. I sent the email hoping the old rules of private instant messages are not made public. The reply was why I how I came home 22 months from my mission. I received an error message when I pushed send. The message said you didn’t exist. But I want to say as karl61 in 2010 and then the board had a melt down, you, or someone else brought it back to life congratulations.

Also, when scared and very scared and experiencing trauma, a person lies. That’s how I got on my mission and that’s how I got home. At 61, I would have handled it differently and seen the shock on faces of the reportedly higher priesthood.
What's faster than a .45 caliber bullet fired from a 1911 A1? The main spring of the gun below the barrel that seems to escape faster when you turn the barrel bushing with a special tool.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 2:14 pm
Also, Dr. Shades I tried to instant message why I came home early from my mission. . . I received an error message when I pushed send.
You may email it to me at drshades1 AT gmail DOT com.
The message said you didn’t exist. But I want to say as karl61 in 2010 and then the board had a melt down, you, or someone else brought it back to life congratulations.
It was someone else. I sadly don't have those types of skills.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
yellowstone123
High Priest

Post by yellowstone123 »

Thank you. I will send a test message.
What's faster than a .45 caliber bullet fired from a 1911 A1? The main spring of the gun below the barrel that seems to escape faster when you turn the barrel bushing with a special tool.