DCP Claims He Is Finally Going To Do Something About His Emails

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

DCP Claims He Is Finally Going To Do Something About His Emails

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

After years and years of DCP constantly playing the victim and publicly discussing his daily hate emails, he has now finally decided to do something about it.

I'm not holding my breath.

https://youtu.be/4etMqGdW5lc?t=7822
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Re: DCP Claims He Is Finally Going To Do Something About His Emails

Post by drumdude »

I encourage Dan to do something if it’s real.

However this story about the emails seems to change in details each time he tells it. And he likes to conflate the illiterate emailer with the legitimate critics on forums.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I am surprised it took him so long. Of course, I usually just ignore unwanted communications.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:34 pm
I am surprised it took him so long.
Well, if we consider that the role of basically nice guy persecuted by bitter and perverse Mormon-haters is one that is quite important to DCP in giving him a reason to talk about himself a lot, maybe it is not such a surprise that he has never taken any decisive steps to end the 'persecution' or even just to put these people on ignore.

I doubt that he ever will.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I am wondering what he can do about the emails. He is particularly concerned about one individual who he does not know or know where they are located. Perhaps Mr Peterson can be helped with some advice.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

huckelberry wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 5:25 pm
I am wondering what he can do about the emails. He is particularly concerned about one individual who he does not know or know where they are located. Perhaps Mr Peterson can be helped with some advice.
We’ve been telling DCP for years and years to either just block the sender, or go to the police.

He has done neither. Instead, he prefers to publicly play the victim and accuse various members of this board.

I’m just glad he has finally decided to do something about it 😉
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

From transcript:
2:11:12
you just ignore sort of like the the hitters I have a pretty thick skin although this guy in particular sent me about 2 000
2:11:18
emails um they're they're coming more frequently now in their nastier and uh
2:11:25
I'm beginning to think I need to do something about it because it's it's it's clearly an obsession of some sort
2:11:31
oh yeah and uh at a certain point I'm wondering am I going to open the door
2:11:36
and have him on my doorstep with a gun I mean I just don't know
2:11:41
I don't know where he lives but I know there are ways of finding out and uh and so I'm thinking this is the kind of
2:11:48
person I don't want to get paranoid about it this is the kind of person that you hear about here in the United States where a lot of these uh mass shootings
2:11:56
and so on where they'll say in retrospect oh yeah we knew he was weird and we were worried about him but did
2:12:02
you do anything about him no we never did anything about it until he does something and then well it's a little
2:12:08
too late he shot up a college or he's Blown Away a bunch of people in a post office and uh so I look at this guy and
2:12:15
I think okay now they're coming um I think his record uh is 13 posts in
2:12:21
one day but it's often five or six and and I'm thinking okay somebody who thinks about me all day every day every
2:12:29
single day this is actually getting a little concerning...
Peterson says he knows there are ways of finding out who this person is. He is not exactly clear that the emails from this one person are the ones that are still, and currently, coming in 5-6 times a day, and whether an outside evaluation would consider them threatening or inappropriate to the extent that they need to be investigated, but if those two things are true, he is being irresponsible to not do something about it, at least for his family's sake.

You'll notice what I bolded, because all we have is the word of a person who is not particularly careful with being accurate in statements like this.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Peterson says he knows there are ways of finding out who this person is
Is this the same individual who can't figure out how to work his microphone on every single Interpreter podcast episode he participates on?

He's most likely, wrong. Unless the person doing it is a complete idiot, it should be trivial to hide their identity such that the police and FBI simply can't find them. On the chance the individual slipped at some point, it then becomes a matter of throwing resources at this problem vs. a real problem, like, a kidnapping or something. It's probably still in the arena of civil law, since it's just harassment and no explicit threats, and even if there were threats, I doubt it would be enough for the cops to care, especially considering the likely impossibility of tracking the person down. I had to go down this road a number of years ago to help a family member with harassment including actual threats from an ex-con, in real life, not hiding behind a proxy online, and it's pointless, LE simply doesn't care unless blood is drawn if it's not domestic. I couldn't even get the cops to let me file a report.

There is a reason why most of us just ignore or block unwanted electronic communications, rather than give the offender a platform.

But I realize in this case there is some serious psychology going on. In my opinion, and I'm just speculating here, this isn't about the person sending the emails. Decades ago, Mr. Popular, the captain of the swim team and unwanted student body president, suffered a defining moment when a bunch of kids yelled his name as they drove by him in their car. We don't even know if they harbored any ill-will, just that, to this point in his life, nobody had implored Mr. Popular in a manner that wasn't praising. What if they were mocking him? For decades this has built up as we've been treated to the story several times; he was, and is, powerless to do anything about those kids in that car. And so now, his person sending the emails, is a proxy for those jeering teenagers. Maybe, maybe there's a chance to finally get even?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

I imagine DCP's contact with law enforcement would go something like this:

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 12:59 am
. Unless the person doing it is a complete idiot, it should be trivial to hide their identity such that the police and FBI simply can't find them.
“DCP’s email stalker” wrote: "you’re a twisted lyin cultist propaganda pimp who don't give a whit bout truth….liar legacy of a vxx weak minded coward. people like you otta get the boot ya bloated parasite."
I think complete idiot is still on the table. As is complete fabrication.

Does vxx have something to do with vaccinated? This person is supposed to be some kind of pro-science atheist and also a rabid anti-vaxxer? It really strains credulity to believe DCP’s email stories.