DCP rejects all conspiracy theories except his own

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: DCP rejects all conspiracy theories except his own

Post by Marcus »

Rivendale wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 1:26 pm
And yet somehow dowsing works. I wished he had addressed that.
He only thinks it works because he 'experienced' it working. He applies no critical thinking to his experience at all, and simply values his feelings. It tells us a lot about his intellectual thought process.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Noel scores a goal point:
Noel wrote:(Clifford's Other Principle) “It is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone to ignore evidence that is relevant to his beliefs, or to dismiss relevant evidence in a facile way.” (Van Inwagen 1996, 145) Royal Skousen accepts the evidence that convinces him that the facsimiles should be removed from the Book of Abraham. Is he guilty of "dogmatic -rigidity"?
DP wrote:Obviously. LOL. I admit, noel, that your continual attempts to hijack threads can sometimes be pretty amusing. Especially when, like this one, they're so embarrassingly ham-handed.
Noel wrote:Nothing to do with "dogmatic rigidity"?
DCP wrote:No connection that I can see.
I see the connection Noel. And I bet Dan sees it too. I don't think he sees the irony of dismissing your point in a facile way, though! :lol:
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Marcus wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 10:19 pm
Rivendale wrote:
He only thinks it works because he 'experienced' it working. He applies no critical thinking to his experience at all, and simply values his feelings. It tells us a lot about his intellectual thought process.
It's why people see DCP for the disingenuous person he is. Of course dowsing is nonsense and he knows it, yet claims it's possible, based on a nonsense experiment he supposedly did.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Marcus wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 10:19 pm
Rivendale wrote:
I had a dowser tell me his method for establishing water lines on a property. He would get paid $300 to map out general areas where the pipes with running water were located. He had the coat hanger L shaped wires that he used. Now he really believed it worked but he did tell me that the first thing he would do on a property was look for where the outside hoses were hanging on the house and work from that. Why those? Because in high water pressure areas many of the outside watering lines for lawns and gardens were bypassed for more water flow. That would clue him in on angles of approach from various property lines. Of course dowsing has been tested over and over and over and fails . James Randi and his million dollar challenge solidified that. Yet this gets deposited in the mysterious bucket by Dan and relegated to a gift as one Mormon coworker told me.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

“DCP” wrote: abc: "It'd be really cool if someone could devise a way to test this phenomenon. If the person here is able to sense the bones of King Richard, maybe arrange a series of, say, 20 boxes and put his bones in one, and have them approach each and see if they can feel which one he's in reliably. Do that test, say, ten times and check for statistical validity."

Have at it!
I have no particular reason to expect such a test to show anything significant. But who knows?
Of course Dan doesn’t expect his stupid conspiracy theory beliefs to stand up to testing.

Flat earthers are happy to stay on the ground and believe the world is flat. They don’t need to test what they already know is true.