Shermer on Mormon Stories

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Shermer on Mormon Stories

Post by Kishkumen »

I very much enjoyed listening to Michael Shermer on Mormon Stories. His book on conspiracies sounds very worthwhile. I recommend checking out this MoSto episode.

https://www.youtube.com/live/oARHoGX7fVs?feature=share
Last edited by Kishkumen on Fri May 26, 2023 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Rivendale
God

Re: Shermer on Mormon Stories

Post by Rivendale »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 9:48 pm
I very much enjoyed listening to Michael Shermer on Mormon Stories. His book on conspiracies sounds very worthwhile. I recommend checking out this MoSto episode.
I am looking forward to this one. I have read most of Shermer's books and he has an interesting style. He also has excellent videos regarding priming. I especially like his stairway to heaven presentation. I believe that was a Ted Talk. That being said it appears he has weathered his scandal regarding inappropriate behavior that seemed to have ignited internal conflicts on the atheists talk circuits.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Rivendale wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 10:00 pm
I am looking forward to this one. I have read most of Shermer's books and he has an interesting style. He also has excellent videos regarding priming. I especially like his stairway to heaven presentation. I believe that was a Ted Talk. That being said it appears he has weathered his scandal regarding inappropriate behavior that seemed to have ignited internal conflicts on the atheists talk circuits.
On the last point, yes, I do not vouch for Shermer’s moral probity, only his skepticism. He also says things about gender politics at the end of the MoSto episode that will offend a lot of people.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the idea that transwomen are ruining women's sports upsets a lot of people. Most liberal and progressive people I know consider it a real legitimate issue.

They just don’t think the debate around the issue should be dominated by religious right wing nonsense.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 12:10 am
For what it’s worth, I don’t think the idea that transwomen are ruining women's sports upsets a lot of people. Most liberal and progressive people I know consider it a real legitimate issue.

They just don’t think the debate around the issue should be dominated by religious right wing nonsense.
I don't have the stats at hand but I don't think that is true as far as recorded competitions. From recollections the number of trans women participating historically don't fall into any significant categories as dominating.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Rivendale wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 1:12 am
drumdude wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 12:10 am

I don't have the stats at hand but I don't think that is true as far as recorded competitions. From recollections the number of trans women participating historically don't fall into any significant categories as dominating.
I think the frustration is when a trans athlete breaks records or comes in first place easily or quickly after transitioning, not that they are crowding out women from the sport. The number of trans athletes is very small, obviously. But I could be wrong, it’s not an issue I pay very much attention to.
Tim
Star A

Post by Tim »

It was fun to hear Dehlin get uncomfortable when Shermer stepped on one of his orthodoxies.

for what it's worth, I highly recommend the podcast "The Witch Trials of JK Rowling"
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Tim, I did not watch the whole thing. I find Shermer listenable to but Mr Dehlin tends to make me frustrated and impatient. I did hear John agree with Shermer over and over again. What point of disagreement arose?

Mr Shermers comments about transgender issues made sense to me.
Tim
Star A

Post by Tim »

He didn't directly disagree but he was clearly uncomfortable.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Tim wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 6:37 pm
for what it's worth, I highly recommend the podcast "The Witch Trials of JK Rowling"
I second that recommendation, whether one agrees with Rowling or not.