Robert Boylan says Protestantism is “Satanic”

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Re: Robert Boylan says Protestantism is “Satanic”

Post by malkie »

Encyclopedia of Mormonism wrote:LDS perspective regards the Protestant Reformation as a preparation for the more complete restoration of the gospel that commenced with Joseph Smith. Thus, the Protestant Reformation initiated a return to pure Christianity, a work that could not be completed without divine revelation and restoration. The leaders of the Reformation are honored as inspired men who made important progress, but without direct revelation they could not recover the true gospel or the priesthood authority to act in God's name. That was the mission of the Prophet Joseph Smith.
Not as many specific doctrines are shared with mainline Protestants, but Latter-day Saints do have in common a devoted faith in Jesus Christ as Redeemer of the world and as personal Savior. This faith was the moving force in the actions of Martin Luther and other early reformers, and was central to the life and work of the Prophet Joseph Smith. It remains today a central tenet of the Church.
https://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Protestant_Reformation

This is "Satanic"?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Boylan is an obnoxious idiot.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

There are tons of Protestants and Protestant types out there claiming Mormonism is Satanic. I just heard it yesterday from a mouthy Protestant. What would religion be without these cartoon-like attacks?

And yeah without the Protestants Mormonism would never have been, and would not have its parent there to push it along.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

In the video of Boylan’s that I watched, he states he is quoting Blake Ostler when he says, “The Calvinist concept of God is the Mormon concept of Satan.”
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

msnobody wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:43 pm
In the video of Boylan’s that I watched, he states he is quoting Blake Ostler when he says, “The Calvinist concept of God is the Mormon concept of Satan.”
That’s not what he said on Twitter. Does he not understand that Calvinism is one slice of Protestantism? The guy is a toxic idiot.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:20 pm
msnobody wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:43 pm
That’s not what he said on Twitter. Does he not understand that Calvinism is one slice of Protestantism? The guy is a toxic idiot.
Really, it boils down to this. Either Christ is sufficient or he is not. If Christ’s propitiation for sin is insufficient, then Christ is not needed whatsoever.

As an aside, I think it would be very easy to get caught up in the praise of men as a podcaster. I’m not so sure if podcasting is something I’d do as I think the temptation would be so great.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

msnobody wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 3:21 pm
Really, it boils down to this. Either Christ is sufficient or he is not. If Christ’s propitiation for sin is insufficient, then Christ is not needed whatsoever.

As an aside, I think it would be very easy to get caught up in the praise of men as a podcaster. I’m not so sure if podcasting is something I’d do as I think the temptation would be so great.
I agree with you on podcasting, and I think apologetics is also perilous.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

A strong argument can be made that Mormons worship the brethren. All authority stems from them, and you cannot go directly to God or Jesus. They are the middle-men, and the only God with whom you have to do within Mormonism.

Even if the brethren are wrong, they teach you will be saved by following whatever they say.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

We now have incontrovertible evidence that the Midnight Mormons smoke crack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfMo-X8NhE8
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 11:18 am
Boylan is an obnoxious idiot.
Indeed. But then again, he’s simply stating the Mopologetic orthodoxy, which is itself an outgrowth of the standard LDS teachings about other faiths (cf. that tidbit from the temple, for example). Despite what they say otherwise, the Mopologists actually have a lot of contempt for other faiths. Sure: they’ll claim to be tolerant and that they agree with Stendahl and so forth, but then sometimes the “mask drops”—as when Dr. Peterson made that infamous remark about finding Calvinism “disgusting.” Midgley and Boylan are less guarded about this stuff, but it is a widespread sentiment.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14