Robert Boylan says Protestantism is “Satanic”

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Robert Boylan says Protestantism is “Satanic”

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 8:38 pm
Indeed. But then again, he’s simply stating the Mopologetic orthodoxy, which is itself an outgrowth of the standard LDS teachings about other faiths (cf. that tidbit from the temple, for example). Despite what they say otherwise, the Mopologists actually have a lot of contempt for other faiths. Sure: they’ll claim to be tolerant and that they agree with Stendahl and so forth, but then sometimes the “mask drops”—as when Dr. Peterson made that infamous remark about finding Calvinism “disgusting.” Midgley and Boylan are less guarded about this stuff, but it is a widespread sentiment.
Yes, I think we have seen enough of the mask drops to know that Mopologetics is rotten.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I think this adjective, Satanic, may be too vague. Frequently the word associates with horror movies and evil cult control. A different take is present when I recall Jesus called Peter Satanic on a certain occasion. Peter was impeding the necessary and best course with his own ego and assumptions.

I think it is possible all religious traditions do that sometimes.

My memory and experience says very few to absolutely no Mormons fail to view the doctrine of Predestination, especially built on the primary proposal that God choose who was going to hell before starting the actual creation of anything or anybody, as way to close to demonic or Satanic for comfort. But of course just thinking of that ignores a variety of Protestant understanding.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:12 pm
I think this adjective, Satanic, may be too vague. Frequently the word associates with horror movies and evil cult control. A different take is present when I recall Jesus called Peter Satanic on a certain occasion. Peter was impeding the necessary and best course with his own ego and assumptions.

I think it is possible all religious traditions do that sometimes.

My memory and experience says very few to absolutely no Mormons fail to view the doctrine of Predestination, especially built on the primary proposal that God choose who was going to hell before starting the actual creation of anything or anybody, as way to close to demonic or Satanic for comfort. But of course just thinking of that ignores a variety of Protestant understanding.
These are the same folks that insisted God revealed to their prophet that the children of gay parents should be denied baptism. What they think of any Christian teaching is not something I will take too seriously.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

drumdude wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:20 am
It’s not a video, it’s a social media style post under the community tab.

Screenshot:
It would help a TON if you posted the actual URL:

https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxArVUbd ... VqFN8qMxGG

This way, people can follow the conversation.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Good to know there’s a way to direct link to it. The YouTube app didn’t seem to have a share button like the videos do.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

He sounds mentally unhealthy. I sincerely hope he gets better.

That said, if we're Satanic, stop using the Protestant biblical canon. Please and thank you.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MsJack wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:50 am

That said, if we're Satanic, stop using the Protestant biblical canon. Please and thank you.
IKR?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Perhaps I have a second thought which though obvious I should add because of my previous comment. I think using Satanic as an adjective for something implies a rotten or negative to the core quality.With that sort of meaning I do not think any religious group qualifies. It remains true that religious groups make mistakes, can come up with understandings which are harmful and actually commit evil acts.

There are times some groups come painfully close but still the word Satanic does not help understanding but instead is a block to understanding the humanity of errors and bad choices.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 5:00 pm
Perhaps I have a second thought which though obvious I should add because of my previous comment. I think using Satanic as an adjective for something implies a rotten or negative to the core quality.With that sort of meaning I do not think any religious group qualifies. It remains true that religious groups make mistakes, can come up with understandings which are harmful and actually commit evil acts.

There are times some groups come painfully close but still the word Satanic does not help understanding but instead is a block to understanding the humanity of errors and bad choices.
It’s also just completely uncool to impugn one of the largest branches of Christianity. He does not take it kindly when ignorant Christians call Mormonism Satanic, demonic, or un-Christian, so he should not be leveling this kind of charge at so many fellow Christians.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

MsJack wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:50 am

I don’t understand why you’d want Mormons to stop using the KJV. On religion, can some group be Satanic or wrong, as some religionists seem to use the terms synonymously, and yet still use or produce useful scripture? Or view one groups scripture is gods word as far as it’s translated correctly? More to the point if the work is good, why not hope everyone uses and consults it?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos