Robert Boylan says Protestantism is “Satanic”

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Robert Boylan says Protestantism is “Satanic”

Post by drumdude »

Boylan wants to debate a former Mormon who is now a Protestant. Robert is very unhappy that Daniel Ortner is criticizing the church on his Facebook and on several critical YouTube channels.

A subscriber mentions that Daniel has been pretty openly positive about his experience in the LDS church, but Boylan isn’t having it. He explains that “he has sadly brought his children into a false religion (Protestantism) and makes a number of posts trying to support a Satanic ideology.”

Naturally a few of Boylan’s subscribers are a little incredulous at this claim. Really, it’s Satanic?

Boylan digs in:

“Yes, Protestantism is Satanic”

We will see how long the comment stays up. It’s on his community page here:

https://youtube.com/@ScripturalMormonism
huckelberry
God

Re: Robert Boylan says Protestantism is “Satanic”

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude, your link goes to a place with some utube discussions but I do not see what you are describing. A video is about calvinist theology which is standard black beast from LDS point of view. From some angles I find it looking Satanic, other angles make more sense. I wonder what Satanic is supposed to mean.

I wonder if all religious traditions have some Satanic elements or influences.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It’s not a video, it’s a social media style post under the community tab.

Screenshot:

huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude, thanks now I can see what you are referring to. I think theories people create to allow them or to help them believe that all Mormons go to hell are demonic theories.

Some phony ass religious know it all actually full of .... thinks they know my mother went to hell.I know such people are out there. They are like cancer.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:34 am
drumdude, thanks now I can see what you are referring to. I think theories people create to allow them or to help them believe that all Mormons go to hell are demonic theories.

Some phony ass religious know it all actually full of .... thinks they know my mother went to hell.I know such people are out there. They are like cancer.
Mormons play a type of semantics game with this, in my opinion. They don’t “technically” believe you are going to hell for not following the church leaders. Not a literal lake of fire and eternal torment. They just think you are throwing away your inheritance, they just think you’re abandoning your family. They just think you’ll regret it forever and never live up to your full potential.

They can’t abandon the idea of eternal punishment for disobeying church leaders. So in my mind it’s a difference that makes no difference.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:40 am
huckelberry wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:34 am

Mormons play a type of semantics game with this, in my opinion. They don’t “technically” believe you are going to hell for not following the church leaders. Not a literal lake of fire and eternal torment. They just think you are throwing away your inheritance, they just think you’re abandoning your family. They just think you’ll regret it forever and never live up to your full potential.

They can’t abandon the idea of eternal punishment for disobeying church leaders. So in my mind it’s a difference that makes no difference.
drumdude, I wasn't making a comparison or making a defense. I was making an accusation about a kind of thinking and attitude about people which I see as destructive and false.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:34 am
drumdude wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:40 am

drumdude, I wasn't making a comparison or making a defense. I was making an accusation about a kind of thinking and attitude about people which I see as destructive and false.
I agree. But I’m also perplexed by the accusation that it’s Satanic.

Boylan must believe any religion he doesn’t like is Satanic. Protestantism is a long tradition with millions of adherents who certainly would take issue with their religion being called Satanic.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Robert Boylan's podcasts suck. Sorry, I can't think of a better term to describe their utter crappiness.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Kind of interesting that right-wing protestantism, which has birthed our present hyperventilating culture that gives Boylan breath, is charged by Boylan as Satanic itself.

I hate to draw on a pagan analogy, but is this like the big cosmic snake eating its tail?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Wonder if this Deseret Nazis vs White Christian Nationalists debate could be given a boost by the Interpreter Foundation?

Oh sages standing in Your holy fire
Come from that fire; perne in a gyre
And consume the heart of mine enemy

-- In the name of Brigham, Amen
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace