DCP continues to trash gemli.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: DCP continues to trash gemli.

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 1:49 am
Is that Willem Defoe's grandfather?
Wade Englund.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

The villain's life has no meaning without his protagonist. In his mind, the roles are reversed. Fans know better.
Mr-Glass-and-David-Dunn-in-Glass.jpg
Mr-Glass-and-David-Dunn-in-Glass.jpg (193.74 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 1:18 am
DCP wrote:And he seemed to have a fairly low opinion of humans generally.
Considering how he was treated at Sic et Non, can anyone blame him?
It's not true. Saying that is just more of DCP's ugliness.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Drumdude, i didn't realize you had first commented on DCP's bad form in another thread:
drumdude wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:28 am
Dan just wrote another response to this thread. Nothing interesting enough to post, except for this one observation about Gemli:
And, finally, here’s something that I found only a few minutes ago in the Christopher Hitchens Memorial “How Religion Poisons Everything” File™: “Atheists Just Don’t Have Many Kids”

There has, actually, been some debate about whether this link ever really belonged in the Hitchens File. I suppose that the answer to that question might well depend upon whether or not one likes people . . .

Incidentally, for whatever it’s worth, this board’s longtime resident atheist — now voluntarily departed from our midst, presumably to continue reciting his creed elsewhere — was married but childless. And he seemed to have a fairly low opinion of humans generally. Anecdotal, but certainly consistent with the data.
Dan has really built up a strong worldview centered around the supposed dark hopelessness of atheism. One visit to Northern Europe to see the happy godless families would do much to dispel that unfortunate fantasy of his.

It also seems bizarrely personal to bring up Gemli that way. He doesn’t know why Gemli doesn’t have children, but he thinks he can connect it to a throwaway jab in his childish hitchens file. It all really exemplifies the kind soul of Daniel Peterson, the world’s nicest human being according to those who know him.
Good points. He had since called his unnecessary, obtrusively personal, and highly inappropriate comment "simply an observation."
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Yeah, that bit about gemli’s family situation was especially unfortunate.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Sat May 27, 2023 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I don't think Gemli dislikes people at all, he was without a doubt the kindest member of the SeN community. I don't recall any personal attacks directed from him towards others on the board and his sarcasm was born from an inward and nerdy sense of humor that was barely offensive. And he's a purist, never once even acknowledging his "fan base" on this site let alone registering here. (We'd of course love to have him)

The deeper message to his at-times over-the-top dismissal of gods and fairies, was an extreme dislike for religious kitsch, and SeN has become, without a doubt, the Mecca for religious Kitsch. If there ever were a site where blasting the existence of fairies and gnomes made good sense it was exactly there -- the board of NDE's and airy appeals to God and faith, and bold looking-the-other-way at religious corruption.

If Gemli didn't like people, then certainly many of Mormonism's popular religious commentators from Isaiah to Hugh Nibley as well didn't "like people".
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Sounds like he misses gemli and is trying to trollishly lure him back, or something to me. Poor guy. he can't get along without his nemesis, it seems.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

dastardly stem wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 2:05 pm
Sounds like he misses gemli and is trying to trollishly lure him back, or something to me. Poor guy. he can't get along without his nemesis, it seems.
I suspect that the DiscussMormonism Obsession Blog he runs would be a lot leaner in content if he were to stop commenting on what happens here.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

dastardly stem wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 2:05 pm
DCP definitely enjoys sparring.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Sat May 27, 2023 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

malkie wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:18 pm
I suspect that the DiscussMormonism Obsession Blog he runs would be a lot leaner in content if he were to stop commenting on what happens here.
Otherwise known as DMOB.