DP doesn’t appreciate discussions of Dan McClellan on SeN

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

DP doesn’t appreciate discussions of Dan McClellan on SeN

Post by drumdude »

Do you think Interpreter is busy writing up a hit piece on Dan McClellan just like they did for John Dehlin? Can’t have any wolves in sheep’s clothing running around leading members away from the Interpreter Orthodoxy!
Michael Hoggan
10 hours ago
I am frustrated that some secularist scholars cannot accept that things they consider anachronisms might be the result of later editorial changes and instead insist that an entire document must be of a significantly more recent date. I'm glad that there are secularist scholars who are willing to accept that some documents are probably contemporaneous.

David Sanders replying to Michael Hoggan
10 hours ago
Michael, Dr. Daniel McClellan has a very short video on when the books of the New Testament were written.

https://www.tiktok.com/@mak...

https://www.tiktok.com/@mak...

DanielPeterson replying to David Sanders
10 hours ago
Just curious: David Sanders, are you Dan McClellan's publicist or business manager?

David Sanders replying to DanielPeterson
10 hours ago
Daniel, I wish. Why, is Dr. McClellan hiring?

DanielPeterson replying to David Sanders
10 hours ago edited
DS: "Daniel, I wish. Why, is Dr. McClellan hiring?"

I was just wondering, because almost all of your comments here -- I don't think quite all of them -- seem to be plugs for Dan's TikTok productions.

At least this time DP didn’t insinuate that the two are homosexual and need to get a room. I suppose that’s progress of a kind.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: DP doesn’t appreciate discussions of Dan McClellan on SeN

Post by Doctor Scratch »

And then there is this remarkable comment from stalwart poster The Last Danite:
Why do you keep trying to push this snake oil salesmen?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:21 pm
Of course he would call a faithful, temple recommend holding Mormon, and (according to DCP) former student of Dan Peterson a “snake oil salesman.”
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
What, exactly, is the snake oil that Mak is trying to sell?
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:10 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:

Of course he would call a faithful, temple recommend holding Mormon, and (according to DCP) former student of Dan Peterson a “snake oil salesman.”
Snake oil salesman? Coming from a person who finds solace in a man that claimed he could remotely see objects from far away with a stone. A man that was in a courtroom accused of being a disorderly person. A man that redefined morality to be situational especially targeting infidelity. A man that paraded around in a generals uniform? They seem to eat their own.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:33 pm
What, exactly, is the snake oil that Mak is trying to sell?
I think the apologist know they are destined to be enemies with someone who speaks unvarnished truth about Biblical and religious scholarship.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

DP might become more effective if he started his own video podcast and call it Dogma Over Data..........
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Moksha wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 11:31 pm
I think the apologist know they are destined to be enemies with someone who speaks unvarnished truth about Biblical and religious scholarship.
Makes sense, can you imagine how negative the Interpreter donors and the Church Finance Committee members would be if they heard Dr. McClellan's takedown of Dennis Prager's rhetoric?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8f-QO8P3L0
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Moksha wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 3:54 am
Moksha wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 11:31 pm
Makes sense, can you imagine how negative the Interpreter donors and the Church Finance Committee members would be if they heard Dr. McClellan's takedown of Dennis Prager's rhetoric?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8f-QO8P3L0
I listened to this and again find myself appreciating Dr McClellan's comments. I found Pragers scripture distortions shocking.

It has been pointed out that It is best not to characterize such brutalization of Christian hope as Satanic. It represents a large swath of American protestants. It might be pointed out Prager might have positive or helpful observations elsewhere so should not be covered with a simple blanket like evil influence. Yet I truly struggle to come to grips with what is happening. I check out a fellow Eric Metaxas who writes a popular book about Bonhoffer an individual I admire (both his thought and his actions). Metaxas says we should follow the Bonhoffer resistance to Nazis example by supporting Trump and his last stand against cultural Marxism and globalist tyranny.This thinking strikes me as madness I cannot understand. (and I am supposed to believe that satan is not steeling peoples minds?). Well that last thought is emotional characterization that provides no help for understanding or effective counter stratagy.
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Rivendale wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:41 pm
drumdude wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:10 pm

Snake oil salesman? Coming from a person who finds solace in a man that claimed he could remotely see objects from far away with a stone. A man that was in a courtroom accused of being a disorderly person. A man that redefined morality to be situational especially targeting infidelity. A man that paraded around in a generals uniform? They seem to eat their own.
Not to mention DCP believes inn dowsing....