Correcting the Record

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MsJack
Deacon

Re: Correcting the Record

Post by MsJack »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:35 am
How often does Dan criticize his comrades? I confess I don't know because I don't read his blog posts except when they're mentioned here.
The only time I have ever seen him criticize a fellow apologist in public was he lashed out at Yahoo Bot once---because Yahoo Bot had spoken out against William Schryver's misogyny (which Dan was very firm was not misogyny).

All of the things we have seen from Pahoran, Boylan, Schryver, Kwaku, etc., and the only time I have ever seen him say, "Hey, that's out of line" was to rebuke an apologist for rebuking another apologist.

Some bottom-tier fanboys at the MAD/MDD board have gotten pushback from him, but where apologists are publishing / producing / podcasting / platforming or otherwise close friends of his, he says nothing in public about their worst behavior.

I don't pay close attention to his blog or postings elsewhere on the Web though, so perhaps there are other examples I've missed.

RIP Yahoo Bot.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Yahoo Bot. It was sad to learn of his passing. When he first started posting here he was among the slimiest sophists out there. I remember how he would attack and lie relentlessly. Over time, though, we saw a lot more of his humanity, and, in the end, he showed that he was an independent thinker with a strong backbone. I am sure we didn’t agree on many things, but I came to have a healthy respect for him.

It is important to note that he was a big donor to the Maxwell Institute. And he was actually very unhappy when MI softened its approach, so he stopped donating. He also disagreed with the Mopologetic fascination with Margaret Barker.

Requiescat in pace.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

MsJack wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:00 pm
Alphus and Omegus wrote:
How often does Dan criticize his comrades? I confess I don't know because I don't read his blog posts except when they're mentioned here.
The only time I have ever seen him criticize a fellow apologist in public was he lashed out at Yahoo Bot once---because Yahoo Bot had spoken out against William Schryver's misogyny (which Dan was very firm was not misogyny).
In 1966, when running for governor of California, Ronald Reagan famously pronounced the "Eleventh Commandment" to be: Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican. DCP seems to have incorporated that notion into his approach towards other mopologists--unless they disregard the sexist, male superiority that is woven into every fiber of the fabric of Mormonism.
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:15 pm
Yahoo Bot. It was sad to learn of his passing. When he first started posting here he was among the slimiest sophists out there. I remember how he would attack and lie relentlessly. Over time, though, we saw a lot more of his humanity, and, in the end, he showed that he was an independent thinker with a strong backbone. I am sure we didn’t agree on many things, but I came to have a healthy respect for him.

It is important to note that he was a big donor to the Maxwell Institute. And he was actually very unhappy when MI softened its approach, so he stopped donating. He also disagreed with the Mopologetic fascination with Margaret Barker.

Requiescat in pace.
I know that YB showed us only what he wanted to, but I remember being impressed at how strong a relationship he seemed to have with his children. He posted photos and details of several hiking and biking trips, and other activities with them.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

The late Yahoo Bot was an interesting figure. In fact, he was one of my anonymous "informants." He once sent me material showing that Martin Tanner--frequent host of the Interpreter Radio program--had been disbarred, apparently for unethical legal practices. At least: that's my recollection--it was quite a while ago.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

MsJack wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:00 pm
Alphus and Omegus wrote:

All of the things we have seen from Pahoran, Boylan, Schryver, Kwaku, etc., and the only time I have ever seen him say, "Hey, that's out of line" was to rebuke an apologist for rebuking another apologist.

Some bottom-tier fanboys at the MAD/MDD board have gotten pushback from him, but where apologists are publishing / producing / podcasting / platforming or otherwise close friends of his, he says nothing in public about their worst behavior.

I don't pay close attention to his blog or postings elsewhere on the Web though, so perhaps there are other examples I've missed.

RIP Yahoo Bot.
Thanks. I hope that some of Dan's more regular readers might chime in on this question. I think some of the criticisms of mopologists are unfair but it is definitely the case that they have engaged in a lot of behavior that is unsavory, at best, for useless ends.

Roman Catholics have figured out that what people think about particular historical or moral claims really does not matter in the grand scheme of things and so do not engage in the vicious smear campaigns against people who disagree with the current leaders' views of things. This is the view the LDS seem to be moving toward and I think it angers neo-fundamentalists like Dan Peterson who have erected a very rigid bespoke Mormonism that works for them and they insist on shoving on everyone else.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:47 pm
The late Yahoo Bot was an interesting figure. In fact, he was one of my anonymous "informants." He once sent me material showing that Martin Tanner--frequent host of the Interpreter Radio program--had been disbarred, apparently for unethical legal practices. At least: that's my recollection--it was quite a while ago.
Yahoo Bot = Bob Crockett, for anyone not in the know.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
The late Yahoo Bot was an interesting figure. In fact, he was one of my anonymous "informants." He once sent me material showing that Martin Tanner--frequent host of the Interpreter Radio program . . . . At least: that's my recollection--it was quite a while ago.
Are you talking about the Martin Tanner who is employed by KSL Radio?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/martin-tanner-04533b2b

It appears that they turn his "Religion Today" segments into a podcast? Or maybe the podcast and the radio gig are different shows?

https://kslpodcasts.com/podcast/religion-today/

I dunno.

If so, this guy would have to be the anti-RFM!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:24 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
The late Yahoo Bot was an interesting figure. In fact, he was one of my anonymous "informants." He once sent me material showing that Martin Tanner--frequent host of the Interpreter Radio program . . . . At least: that's my recollection--it was quite a while ago.
Are you talking about the Martin Tanner who is employed by KSL Radio?
Yes: I believe that’s him.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Re: Yahoo Bot / rcrocket, was looking through old threads today and found this:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102141

He sure was an interesting guy.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School