Bill Reel's Discussion with LDS Apologist Jacob Hansen

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Bill Reel's Discussion with LDS Apologist Jacob Hansen

Post by Philo Sofee »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5mslJz1f8M

I attended and was stunned at how very little faith Jacob has in his point of view and evidences. Bill was far too patient in my opinion, letting Jacob cut him off in the discussion almost non-stop. Very poor form on Jacob's part. I came away from it feeling that Jacob is nervous to allow a detailed look into the logic of his position. Every time Bill tried to get to that, Jacob was seriously impatient and waved him off and then went on tangents for several minutes. Truly, without exaggeration Bill won by simply showing his patience and saying at the end Jacob still hadn't made his case stick.

It is a perfect example of the difficulty the church is having with its own defenders and followers. They come across as far too adamant, and far, far too confident in tying heavy weights on thin strings of evidence which, when examined disappear in a puff of smoke.

It wasn't surprising, yet quite stunning how dismissive Jacob ended up being of the prophets lying, as if that didn't matter, only testimony matters. He wouldn't let Bill develop that idea in any manner, which is educational to see Jacob's tactics in that regard.
drumdude
God

Re: Bill Reel's Discussion with LDS Apologist Jacob Hansen

Post by drumdude »

What is the point of having a debate with someone who believes the church is true by axiom?

It’s like debating with someone who asserts 2 plus 2 is 5. That’s the beginning and the end of the debate.

Thomas Monson could rise out of his grave to say the church isn’t true and they would still believe.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 8:35 pm
What is the point of having a debate with someone who believes the church is true by axiom?

It’s like debating with someone who asserts 2 plus 2 is 5. That’s the beginning and the end of the debate.

Thomas Monson could rise out of his grave to say the church isn’t true and they would still believe.
It's never about the person you are debating. It is always about the audience...
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep!

This is how I have felt about arguments regarding the antiquity of the Book of Mormon. Given the fact that there is insufficient evidence to argue in favor of it in traditional historical terms, the apologetics in its favor are nuts. The reliance on the witnesses is even more humorous: “these guys with no expertise attest to these ancient plates!”

I see nothing wrong with calling the Book of Mormon scripture or believing that the witnesses believed they had some experience that one will accept on a spiritual basis. It is when these things are passed off as grounds for accepting ancient Hebrews in America as factual that I object.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow