Harassment and Hypocrisy: The Robert Boylan Experience

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Re: Harassment and Hypocrisy: The Robert Boylan Experience

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:13 pm
When Boylan writes after the person dies ‘and becomes a good Lutheran,’ is he making a play on something like ’the only good Lutheran is a dead Lutheran’?
I'm sure it is a thinly veined threat. Just like when Boylan said, Pity for [Travis] that certain people who like the phrase "Our Day Will Come" now know about him." That is a more overt threat. But I don't understand the reference Boylan is making.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Bill_Billiams wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:21 pm
Marcus wrote:
When Boylan writes after the person dies ‘and becomes a good Lutheran,’ is he making a play on something like ’the only good Lutheran is a dead Lutheran’?
I'm sure it is a thinly veined threat. Just like when Boylan said, Pity for [Travis] that certain people who like the phrase "Our Day Will Come" now know about him." That is a more overt threat. But I don't understand the reference Boylan is making.
Given his nationality, I'm assuming he's hinting at IRA militants. "Tiocfaidh ár lá - Wiki

He's like a caricature of a teenager trying to compensate for their unpopularity through cliches. An Irish Napoleon Dynamite grown up to be another Uncle Rico.

"I betcha I could throw this Book of Mormon over that mountain...."
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:32 pm
Bill_Billiams wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:21 pm

Given his nationality, I'm assuming he's hinting at IRA militants. "Tiocfaidh ár lá - Wiki

He's like a caricature of a teenager trying to compensate for their unpopularity through cliches. An Irish Napoleon Dynamite grown up to be another Uncle Rico.

"I betcha I could throw this Book of Mormon over that mountain...."
I didn't realize the IRA had a large Mormon contingent. 🤣

Although he might be saying that he is going to bide his time before doing something crazy. Either way, a threat is a threat.

I find the Napoleon Dynamite reference both fitting and hilarious. It has to be hard being a miserable washed up mopologist in your 30s. Even the Mormon version of chatGPT doesn't know who he is.
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:27 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:17 pm
Robert "I Beg Everyone for Handouts" Boylan has a bizarre fixation on the income of people.
Well, you know, personal income and personal divine worth are closely related in the teachings of the prophets.

Wait a minute . . . .
He seems to have an obsession with income and the death of people he doesn’t like. Imagine celebrating that a theologian you don't like died 400+ years ago.
Screenshot_20230601_152912_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230601_152912_Chrome.jpg (128.81 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:50 pm
Speaking of Boylan using a variation on a horrible saying* by posting "...when [the Lutheran he is discussing] dies and becomes a good Lutheran..."
SEP 13
The Family: A Proclamation to the World: "The Family is Central to the Creator's Plan"

My copy of the 2021 Come Follow Me arrived today. I was happy to find out that there is an entire lesson on The Family: A Proclamation to the World:

December 13-19: The Family: A Proclamation to the World: "The Family is Central to the Creator's Plan"

I am happy as it shows the elevated status of the Proclamation and this will surely trigger ProgMos. It also provides a reason to post this cartoon on the DezNat Facebook page I came across:
Posted 13th September 2020 by Robert Boylan
*"the only good Indian is a dead Indian..." From the history of ireland.
We all know he only stopped using the Deznat hashtag after their fringe movement was exposed and his information was on the list. In one of those screenshots on the OP he basically says that he was cool with Deznat when he thought it was just about harassing and threatening progressive members of his own faith. Of course, it appears that to Boylan, "progressive" means anyone who thinks women can have jobs. He alleges that once he realized it was a "white nationalist" group he left it behind. In that statement he seems to suggest that his plight as an Irish person is similar to black people in the US. Or maybe he thinks he is black... Richard Nygren anyone?
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:48 pm
Marcus wrote:
I haven't heard any such meme regarding dead Lutherans, but this would seem to be a rather embarrassing insult for a member of a church that believes in baptizing dead people without ever having obtained their consent in life. Making someone "become a good Mormon" after they die is literally what the COJCOLDS does every single day.
Consistency doesn’t appear to be Boylan's strength. He has a penchant for "self-owns."
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Bill_Billiams wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:56 pm
Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:48 pm
I haven't heard any such meme regarding dead Lutherans, but this would seem to be a rather embarrassing insult for a member of a church that believes in baptizing dead people without ever having obtained their consent in life. Making someone "become a good Mormon" after they die is literally what the COJCOLDS does every single day.
Consistency doesn’t appear to be Boylan's strength. He has a penchant for "self-owns."
I think he is riffing off this:
Hate figure

The single most deadly charge against Sheridan is not that he was directly responsible for any particular death or massacre but that he coined the phrase ‘The only good Indian is a dead Indian’, attributed to him in the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations and cited by Brown as fact.

This has created the Sheridan legend, turning him into a hate-figure like Himmler or Cromwell, ideologically committed to his grim task. Like many legends, this one has taken on a life of its own and will probably always be associated with Sheridan.

In 1992 the County Cavan village of Killinkere, where Sheridan’s father had once (in the words of his son) ‘tilled a leasehold’, made a public apology to an American Indian for the shame of their town. For Killinkere read Ireland, for no protest was raised in any quarter at the apology.

https://www.historyireland.com/the-only ... e-indians/
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:29 pm
Bill_Billiams wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:56 pm

I think he is riffing off this:
Hate figure

The single most deadly charge against Sheridan is not that he was directly responsible for any particular death or massacre but that he coined the phrase ‘The only good Indian is a dead Indian’, attributed to him in the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations and cited by Brown as fact.

This has created the Sheridan legend, turning him into a hate-figure like Himmler or Cromwell, ideologically committed to his grim task. Like many legends, this one has taken on a life of its own and will probably always be associated with Sheridan.

In 1992 the County Cavan village of Killinkere, where Sheridan’s father had once (in the words of his son) ‘tilled a leasehold’, made a public apology to an American Indian for the shame of their town. For Killinkere read Ireland, for no protest was raised in any quarter at the apology.

https://www.historyireland.com/the-only ... e-indians/
That's very interesting, but also not surprising that Boylan would draw inspiration from it.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:55 pm
This is the type of person Mopologetics creates.
It is. I admit that there is a part of me that regrets openly wondering about the future of Mopogetics, and whether there were any younger folks who would “carry the torch.” I bet that DCP saw that commentary and “upped his game” in terms of recruitment efforts. A couple of years ago, I would have said that the “future” seemed limited to Smoot and Rappleye, but little did we know, there was this far more aggressive, rotten element developing in the background. That picture with Boylan, Smoot, Krauss, and others posing outside of the Tanners’ bookstore—a replication of the infamous Midgley/Roper pic—is a testament to the Mopologists’ influence on these guys.

Recently, Dr. Peterson told the Reverend in an email that this is “your board.” Well, I think that Dr. Peterson bears far more responsibility for the behavior of someone like Boylan than the Reverend does for what goes on here. Boylan’s DezNat white nationalism is a direct descendant of the hatred that’s at the core of DCP, Midgley, Hamblin, and the classic FARMS Mopogists’ mission.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:55 pm
This is the type of person Mopologetics creates.
They're going to have to apologize for all of their complaining about Dr. Scratch if this keeps up.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School