Looks like MopologistGPT has been reborn

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Re: Looks like MopologistGPT has been reborn

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

I'm guessing that was hitting the query limit more than anything else.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

A.I. Jesus is now here:

https://www.twitch.tv/ask_jesus
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Looks like www.ldsbot.com does not work but ldsbot.com does work.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

Interesting comment from the bot on horses in the Book of Mormon:

"Pre-Columbian horses: In 2022, research published in the Texas Journal of Science documented evidence of pre-Columbian horse remains in Mexico from dates corresponding to the Book of Mormon, potentially supporting its claims of horses in the Americas."

Anyone checked this reference?
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

It turns up quickly if you google "Texas Journal of Science horses". The lead author is Wade Miller, who retired from BYU in 2002 and has been a long-term champion of pre-Columbian American horses. I don't know whether he's taken seriously or regarded as a crank.

They found a bunch of fossil teeth a couple of meters down, lying next to bits of charcoal that were carbon-dated to various times between 1500 and 3000 years ago or so. They have no direct dates for the teeth themselves. That's normal; fossils don't usually contain carbon, and radiometric dating with other elements has uncertainty ranges of hundreds of thousands of years.

They identify the teeth as those of native North American horses that most people think went extinct 10000 years ago or so. The identification discussion runs a lot longer than the dating part, but I can't tell whether the horse identification is solid or doubtful.

Their main reason for not thinking that older teeth got mixed up with younger charcoal seems to be that they didn't find any other fossils of extinct species at the site in the layers that had charcoal of those ages. I don't know how widely or thoroughly they looked for such rejumbled fossils. It's obviously possible in principle for much older fossils to get mixed up with younger stuff, if for instance there were a flood that washed up some old bones and teeth one time, or if some medieval Mexicans dug up some Ice Age horse teeth at some point. That kind of complication to fossil records doesn't just happen all the time, but it happens. It's usually not an issue for dating fossils that are millions of years old and found buried in rock, since then you probably have uncertainties of a few million years anyway, and floods and scavengers are unlikely to mix things that were buried a million years apart. I don't know how big an issue mixing is for much more recent stuff like these horse teeth.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

hauslern wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:35 am

"Pre-Columbian horses: In 2022, research published in the Texas Journal of Science documented evidence of pre-Columbian horse remains in Mexico from dates corresponding to the Book of Mormon, potentially supporting its claims of horses in the Americas."

To add to what physics guy already said, I think the location of the teeth are in a place that no one theorizes the events of the Book of Mormon occured. So it's still pretty silly for the LDS to act like this is good evidence. The tapir explanation is probably just as likely at this point. :lol:
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Bill_Billiams wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:37 pm
hauslern wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:35 am

To add to what physics guy already said, I think the location of the teeth are in a place that no one theorizes the events of the Book of Mormon occured. So it's still pretty silly for the LDS to act like this is good evidence. The tapir explanation is probably just as likely at this point. :lol:
I'm waiting for the discovery of the teeth and bones of cumoms and cureloms.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!