Jesus didn't die for the Hippie

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Jesus didn't die for the Hippie

Post by Gadianton »

Out on the Internet yonder, a blogger writes:
A blogger on the Internet wrote:Several friends had recommended The Jesus Revolution to me, and I did, in fact, enjoy it. But I have to admit that it left me unsatisfied. The idea (at least in its first hour) seems to have been that the “Jesus Revolution,” the “Jesus People,” would heal a divided nation, bring “hippies” to Jesus and bring generations together. Much of the film, which is based on a true story, is set in the area of Newport Beach, California, which I know well. I grew up not too far away, though, and I was never conscious of any real mass transformation of the kind hinted at by the movie, not locally and certainly not nationally. Nor, sadly, does there seem to have been much lasting impact. Still, I rather liked The Jesus Revolution — I found it personally thought-provoking — and I want to be supportive of Christian cinema.
Imagine that, a kid growing up in a Mormon household wasn't aware of what was going on with other religions in the area. LOL!

"well, looks like they didn't heal America for good, now did they?" Sure -- probably not. Although, Calvary Chapel is pretty darn successful, it's a worldwide movement and particularly strong in California. I've listened to many hours of their radio broadcasts. Most people wouldn't think Mormonism has lived up to its restoration claims or predictions by early Church leaders, either, by the way.

Now, is it just me, or does it sound like he didn't like the movie at all, or at least didn't like the Jesus People the movie portrayed, but has to say he liked it because he's duty-bound to support Christian cinema? He says he thought it was thought-provoking, but no examples of thoughts it provoked other than criticism that it was about a movement nobody had heard of that failed. I think there's more to this. I'd think it would be tough to identify with the "hippie" protagonists for a person steeped in The National Review from the time he was 10. Going to church in sandals and praise music on the guitar? Hippies are welcome? Generally Calvinist? You really get a sense that finding common ground with these fellow Christians is a painful stretch for this blogger.
MsJack
Deacon

Re: Jesus didn't die for the Hippie

Post by MsJack »

The biggest impact of the Jesus Movement was on evangelical worship music. It pretty much changed evangelical worship music forever, from hymns to contemporary stuff with drums and guitars. Love Song was essentially the first contemporary Christian music act.

There was no equivalent shift in Mormonism, nor did Mormonism ever develop much of a contemporary religious music scene, so it's not surprising this blogger wasn't aware of the impact.

Here's my brief review of the movie, with some great comments from my friends:

https://m.Facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=Nif5oz
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

MsJack wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:09 am
The biggest impact of the Jesus Movement was on evangelical worship music. It pretty much changed evangelical worship music forever, from hymns to contemporary stuff with drums and guitars. Love Song was essentially the first contemporary Christian music act.

There was no equivalent shift in Mormonism, nor did Mormonism ever develop much of a contemporary religious music scene, so it's not surprising this blogger wasn't aware of the impact.

Here's my brief review of the movie, with some great comments from my friends:

https://m.Facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=Nif5oz
Nice. I haven't seen the movie yet but I will eventually. I didn't realize that praise and worship rock started at Calvary. One of your contributors also mentioned two Time magazine covers. Huh -- and some people didn't realize anything out of the ordinary was going on.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:57 am
Nice. I haven't seen the movie yet but I will eventually. I didn't realize that praise and worship rock started at Calvary. One of your contributors also mentioned two Time magazine covers. Huh -- and some people didn't realize anything out of the ordinary was going on.
After you do see it, be sure to read Connie Frisbee's reaction to the film. It's a little heartbreaking:

https://www.godreports.com/2023/03/conn ... ion-movie/

The filmmakers did not contact her about portraying her in the film because they thought she was dead. :roll:
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
yellowstone123
High Priest

Post by yellowstone123 »

Thank you for the link to that article Ms. Jack. That was very interesting.
What's faster than a .45 caliber bullet fired from a 1911 A1? The main spring of the gun below the barrel that seems to escape faster when you turn the barrel bushing with a special tool.