Bible Ban in Utah Schools

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Bible Ban in Utah Schools

Post by Res Ipsa »

Davis County has removed the Bible from elementary and middle schools after determining it was appropriate for them under new legislation. https://www.ksl.com/article/50657730/da ... r-violence

The law of unintended consequences strikes again.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Bible Ban in Utah Schools

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:55 pm
Davis County has removed the Bible from elementary and middle schools after determining it was appropriate for them under new legislation. https://www.ksl.com/article/50657730/da ... r-violence

The law of unintended consequences strikes again.
Dumb, dumb, dumb.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Well, that backfired.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

David Brooks wrote an interesting piece for The Atlantic regarding liberalism taken to an extreme on both poles of the American political spectrum where "classic liberal" and "progressive liberal" may be applied to folks on the right and left, respectively. Seems like it has some bearing here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... id/673790/

While it focuses on Canada's assisted suicide law for examples, the concept at the core of it is recognizing how we as individuals and society are intertwined can have a moderating effect against the logic of partisanship which tends to spin out to the absurd.

I’m using the devolution of the MAID program to illustrate a key feature of modern liberalism—namely, that it comes in different flavors. The flavor that is embedded in the MAID program, and is prevalent across Western societies, is what you might call autonomy-based liberalism.

Autonomy-based liberalism starts with one core conviction: I possess myself. I am a piece of property that I own. Because I possess property rights to myself, I can dispose of my property as I see fit. My life is a project that I am creating, and nobody else has the right to tell me how to build or dispose of my one and only life.

The purpose of my life, in this version of liberalism, is to be happy—to live a life in which my pleasures, however I define them, exceed my pains. If I determine that my suffering outweighs my joys, and that things will never get better, then my life isn’t working. I have a right to end it, and the state has no right to prevent me from doing so; indeed, it ought to enable my right to end my life with dignity. If you start with autonomy-based liberalism, MAID is where you wind up.

But there is another version of liberalism. Let’s call this gifts-based liberalism. It starts with a different core conviction: I am a receiver of gifts. I am part of a long procession of humanity. I have received many gifts from those who came before me, including the gift of life itself. The essential activity of life is not the pursuit of individual happiness. The essential activity of life is to realize the gifts I’ve been given by my ancestors, and to pass them along, suitably improved, to those who will come after.

Gifts-based liberals, like autonomy-based liberals, savor individual choice—but our individual choices take place within the framework of the gifts we have received, and the responsibilities to others that those gifts entail. (This understanding of choice, I should note, steers a gifts-based liberal away from both poles in the American abortion debate, endorsing neither a pure abortion-rights stance rooted in bodily autonomy, nor a blanket ban that ignores individual circumstances and pays no heed to a social consensus.) In our lives, we are citizens and family members, not just individuals and property owners. We have obligations to our neighbors as well as to those who will come after us. Many of those obligations turn out to be the sources of our greatest joy. A healthy society builds arrangements and passes laws that make it easier to fulfill the obligations that come with our gifts. A diseased society passes laws that make it easier to abandon them.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Does this include the Book of Mormon as well?

If not then they only have to get the quads out. :lol:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:59 pm
David Brooks wrote an interesting piece for The Atlantic regarding liberalism taken to an extreme on both poles of the American political spectrum where "classic liberal" and "progressive liberal" may be applied to folks on the right and left, respectively. Seems like it has some bearing here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... id/673790/

<snip>

Thanks for linking to that piece. It puts a structure around thoughts I've had over the years but have never been able to pull together in a coherent whole. Definitely worth reading and thinking about.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

The author of the article dissects assisted suicide through the opposing lenses of gifts-based liberalism and autonomy-based liberalism, and to me comes down very clearly and strongly on the gifts-based side.

I lack the intellect and the energy to apply a similar analysis to other societal issues, but I suspect that David Brooks might likewise see a better argument for forcing an unwilling woman to give birth than for permitting her to choose whether to terminate her pregnancy.

I'd be happy to read the thoughts of other board members on the application of the dueling liberalisms to abortion rights, and other issues such as the death penalty, helping the less fortunate in society, etc.

Anyone up for it?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Now they are going after the Book of Mormon. Complaint was filed today:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50658844/bo ... l-district
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I don't have enough to predict where all this is headed, but one thing is certain, the last place an unhinged Trump supporter has any business being is a library. Unless it's to throw a tantrum about their values, they wouldn't waste five minutes doing what most people do at libraries. And so, in the long haul, the people who who have the daily grind on their side are the people who read books. The white nationalist culture warriors in Jesus name will have some issues sticking to a schedule of outrage to counter the normies.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

If seminary is conducted in school buildings would that mean in that instant they can bring the Bible into school?