Boylan the Writer

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Boylan the Writer

Post by malkie »

There has been some talk here about the tone of some of Boylan's writings - especially his demands for debates, and proclamations of victory when his demands are not met.

But what about his other blog entries on Scriptural Mormonism - those in which he is expounding on a topic, rather than attempting to make people engage him in schoolyard fisticuffs?
by the way, I find it interesting that there does not appear to be a mechanism to comment on his blog. Perhaps he fears being overrun.

Anyway, I had a quick look at an entry on Bro Boylan's blog from a few weeks ago. I openly admit that I chose this entry because I was able to understand it (I think!), unlike many others in which the scholarly terminology puts them beyond my abilities. In this one, the argument seems quite straightforward.
APR 1
The Appearance of Jesus in the Kirtland Temple being called a "Vision"

In D&C 110:1-10, Joseph Smith records Jesus' appearance to him and Oliver Cowdery in the Kirtland Temple:

"The veil was taken from our minds, and the eyes of our understanding were opened. We saw the Lord standing upon the breastwork of the pulpit, before us; and under his feet was a paved work of pure gold, in color like amber. His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah, saying: I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father. Behold, your sins are forgiven you; you are clean before me; therefore, lift up your heads and rejoice. Let the hearts of your brethren rejoice, and let the hearts of all my people rejoice, who have, with their might, built this house to my name. For behold, I have accepted this house, and my name shall be here; and I will manifest myself to my people in mercy in this house. Yea, I will appear unto my servants, and speak unto them with mine own voice, if my people will keep my commandments, and do not pollute this holy house. Yea the hearts of thousands and tens of thousands shall greatly rejoice in consequence of the blessings which shall be poured out, and the endowment with which my servants have been endowed in this house. And the fame of this house shall spread to foreign lands; and this is the beginning of the blessing which shall be poured out upon the heads of my people. Even so. Amen."

Note the language: this is clearly and [sic] event that took place in time and space. Why is this noteworthy? Note the beginning of v. 11: “After this vision closed . . .” Here, it shows that, for Joseph, “vision” does not mean an event that took place in a dream state or an event that did not take place in space and time (as some think the First Vision was).

Posted 1st April by Robert Boylan
https://scripturalmormonism.blogspot.co ... tland.html

Is this really intended to show that 'for Joseph, “vision” does not mean an event that took place in a dream state or an event that did not take place in space and time'?

Firstly, in what way is it clear that this was a real event, and not an event that took place in a dream state? Regardless of "the language", do people not sometimes describe unreal events in the same words as real events, because in their minds it was real, or because of limitations of the language? But thinking something is real, or describing it as if it were, does not make it so.

Secondly, even if we were to grant that D&C 110:1-10 does describe a "real" event, is it even remotely possible that Joseph used the word "vision" sometimes to mean "an event that took place in a dream state", and at other times to mean an event that took place in space and time. I mean, people do that, don't they - use different meanings of the same word at different times?

I expect that Bro Boylan has done that himself, from time to time, but perhaps not: perhaps he's a "one word, one meaning" kind of guy, or a Humpty-Dumpty.

Or is this just an April Fool's joke?

If this is a real example of Boylan's depth of thought, then I'm not too impressed. Even in a blog entry of this sort, should the writer not at least make a nod in the direction of obvious possible counter arguments, and provide a defence of some sort against them?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Re: Boylan the Writer

Post by Bill_Billiams »

You cover a lot of ground here but yes, Boylan is terrified of the comment section. He needs his safe space where he can be unchallenged from which to launch attacks on others.

Boylan's blog contains four kinds of posts.

1) the VAST majority are just copy pasted walls of text from theologians. On these posts Boylan offers no commentary or opinion.
2) the next most common is rancorous attacks on any and all perceived threats. These posts usually contain his miserable ramblings but might also contain copy pasted walls of text.
3) Begging posts. These don't contain copy pasting, but they do contain the pathetic mewlings of the greatest LDS apologist and scholar begging for money. Maybe he should ask Ensign Peak for a handout?
4) Constructive theology. These posts are pretty rare and usually involve a wall of text with some brief commentary, like your example. The commentary is often weak and clearly written for the home crowd. This is because Boylan knows no one actually reads his blog, and (bringing it full circle) he knows he will never be challenged because he makes sure all comments are turned off.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Who is Boylan's site even for? No one seems to read it or link to it. He's too scared to let people post comments. The vast majority of the text is copypasta from others.

It's pointless. A total waste of time. And the design looks like a Netscape website. He's got terrible taste and even worse writing ability.

I guess it might be useful to him perhaps? I can't see anyone else wanting to spend more than 5 minutes gouging their eyes by looking at it.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

It's also a visual eyesore.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MsJack wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:40 am
Cardon Ellis scoffed at its amateurish nature.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:37 am
Who is Boylan's site even for? No one seems to read it or link to it. He's too scared to let people post comments. The vast majority of the text is copypasta from others.

It's pointless. A total waste of time. And the design looks like a Netscape website. He's got terrible taste and even worse writing ability.

I guess it might be useful to him perhaps? I can't see anyone else wanting to spend more than 5 minutes gouging their eyes by looking at it.
Imagine being LDS in Ireland lol. The blog is obviously cathartic in nature. If he posts enough quotes surely someone will realize how important he is! He recently celebrated his 9000th post on the blog. Of the 9000 posts, 8800 of them are probably just copy pasted walls of text.
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:36 am
MsJack wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:40 am
Is Cardon not a Boylan fan?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Bill_Billiams wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:49 am
Moksha wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:36 am
Cardon seemed genuinely surprised when Brad and Kwaku were singing his praises. He thought Boylan's website was an amateurish mess. The guest Joel Hansen said he had bought Boylan a new microphone for better sound quality.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:00 am
Bill_Billiams wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:49 am
Cardon seemed genuinely surprised when Brad and Kwaku were singing his praises. He thought Boylan's website was an amateurish mess. The guest Joel Hansen said he had bought Boylan a new microphone for better sound quality.
I'm inclined to agree with Cardon. The new microphone didn't help much. Boylan tends to mumble and run words together.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Bill_Billiams wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:15 am
Moksha wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:00 am
I'm inclined to agree with Cardon. The new microphone didn't help much. Boylan tends to mumble and run words together.
It's not just his Irish accent?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!