Vogel video on magic parchments and Jupiter talisman

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: We went away rejoicing

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:46 am
Who was the angel that rejoiced with Joseph over the destruction of his enemies?
Smith believed in his guardian angel and retribution and punishment would be meted out against those who oppose him. Angelic visitations, whether in dreams or in reality, is formally taught in Mormonism: "I have given the heavenly hosts and mine angels charge concerning you . . . I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." (D&C 84) So, we need not be surprised to learn that Smith had a guardian angel at his side at all times, night and day. Joseph's telling of a dream about his enemies being devoured by beasts was a scare tactic in warning others not to oppose him and a means to maintain control of his ministry. It was all about spreading fear! Needless to say, however, the dream was bizarre and provides a direct look into the subconscious mind of the prophet. Fascinating!

I do not believe any ordinary person would have related such a dream publicly unless their main motivation was to spread fear and maintain power over others. But Joseph Smith was no ordinary person!
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Praise To The Man

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Shulem
God

Re: Who was Joseph Smith's "guardian Angel"?

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:04 pm
So, who was the "guardian angel" or the "guide" who saved Joseph from the pit?
The concept of Joseph Smith believing in a guardian angel did not start with Moroni or Mormonism. It was a Smith family doctrine that goes back to the very beginning of Joseph's own life. Mother Lucy was apt to teach her son Joseph and his brothers about guardian angels or so-called guides -- and do recall that father Smith was quite the dreamer! Let's refer to her autobiography that tells of her husband's dream wherein a guide played a central role. From this we learn that Joseph must have also believed he had his own guardian angel at a very early age.
Lucy Mack Smith wrote:3thd. vision of Joseph Smith seniour same monthe that carlos was born he dreamed he dreamed that he was very sick and so lame he Could scarcely walk he then asked his guide what he should do . . . meditating while on his journey he asking his guide how he should know this garden the guid Said walk till you come to a large gate . . . then asked my guide what was the meaning of all this he began to explain the vision when I sudenly awoke
So, who was the unnamed angel of Joseph's dream of being thrown into a pit at a field not far from the temple? Is it not reasonable to think Joseph's guardian angel in 1844 was the same angel that accompanied him throughout life including his highly charged spiritual ventures involving treasure hunting?

THAT is where we will find Joseph's angel!

:idea:
Shulem
God

Re: Vogel video on magic parchments and Jupiter talisman

Post by Shulem »

Thank you again, Backyard Professor, for your wonderful compliments!

Powerful

fun stuff

:lol:
Shulem
God

VIEWS

Post by Shulem »

Can someone please explain how the viewing counter has 284325 views? Is something wrong with the counter? It won't stop but keeps on ticking like a Timex watch.

What's up with that? It doesn't seem right. The counter has gone nuts.

Gad?

:?:
huckelberry
God

Re: VIEWS

Post by huckelberry »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:45 pm
Can someone please explain how the viewing counter has 284325 views? Is something wrong with the counter? It won't stop but keeps on ticking like a Timex watch.

What's up with that? It doesn't seem right. The counter has gone nuts.

Gad?

:?:
Shulem, I do not know for sure how accurate the counter is but your question caused me a moment of curiosity. I went back to look at a thread and then checked the counter. It went up by one so at least that try shows accuracy. I wondered about the number and looked back some pages. Most threads are more modest number counted. I saw on page 6 a 4 million view thread and on page 5 another multimillion view thread. Both may have found interest by LDS defenders who chose not to participate. I noticed a 23 page thread on the Jesus myth that only had 11 thousand views.

Unusual threads seem to catch a lot of extra interest. This thread has more than average but not wildly large numbers. It may be an accurate count. You are communicating with some people.
Shulem
God

Re: VIEWS

Post by Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:37 am
Unusual threads seem to catch a lot of extra interest. This thread has more than average but not wildly large numbers. It may be an accurate count. You are communicating with some people.

I'm not convinced the thread has that kind of genuine traffic. I think something may be amiss with the counter and Gad has not commented about it.

The count just passed 300,000. What the heck?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Shulem, your caution and skepticism about the amount of traffic makes sense to me. I have no direct information or idea how or why certain limited number of threads record exceptional amounts of traffic. The multimillion view threads I noticed are rare. Their numbers are so much larger than normal it would be hard not to wonder if something is broken. Yet it is threads of a specific type of LDS challenge which have the big numbers.

Perhaps someone has knowledge of the process to help our puzzle.

Why would anybody set up some program to repeatedly tap a particular thread? Shulem, are you doing it? Just kidding.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:44 pm
Why would anybody set up some program to repeatedly tap a particular thread? Shulem, are you doing it? Just kidding.

I honestly don't know, but another 23,000 views and no additional posts? It seems something is not right with the counter and it hardly seems legitimate that this thread has truly garnered that much interest. I just don't get it. And Vogel? Where the hell is he? He was off making another video about where Lehi supposedly camped in Arabia and refuses to own up to what could be construed as a serious error in judgment on his part in his attempt to understand the mind of Joseph Smith.

Frankly, I just don't give a damn anymore about this board. Everyone can f-off.

I think my days here are surely numbered. I'll be retiring in a couple of months and moving into a forest, deep within the woods of rural Arkansas away from everyone and everything. Goodbye Dallas! Nature will become my new interest. I don't know if I'll be around here much longer. Not trying to feel sorry, on the contrary I'm very happy!

And the Mormon religion is nothing but utter BS. I know it absolutely as sure as I know anything. Pure light and knowledge!

:)
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:42 pm
I'll be retiring in a couple of months and moving into a forest, deep within the woods of rural Arkansas away from everyone and everything.
You won't be moving away from everything. Lotta poisonous snakes in the woods of Arkansas. Watch your step!

The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.