Mormon hippie approach

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
sock puppet
High Priest

Mormon hippie approach

Post by sock puppet »

I've been made privy to an ex-Mormon having asked his parents about the decades-long deception by the LDS Church with the method of translation by Joseph Smith of the Book of Mormon. You know, reading words that appear above a rock in a hat mechanism rather than often depicted Urim and Thummim (breastplate with spectacles) or Joseph Smith studying the gold plates. One of the ex-Mo's parents responded--
Why do we stay true to our covenants we made to our Heavenly Father, is a good question? I Believe. I believe this earth was created, not some pop and it happened. Even watching a seed grow is a miracle to me. I have read the Book of Mormon several times and prayed about it. I have received an impression that it is good and good for me. I love the teachings in it. I have questioned some things but I still find happiness most when I go to church, partake of the sacrament and repent, pray, read scriptures and conference talks. I love the temple. I love the promises it gives me. I find joy in serving others. I know this church is true. The members and prophets are human and make mistakes, but Christ is the only perfect one to live on this earth and I don't feel a need to criticize people in the church or out of the church. We all have our free agency and will receive our due blessings. If I died and everything stopped, there was no more, well, I feel I would have lived my life better by loving Jesus Christ!
I am struck that this is a TBM's version of the old 60's motto, if it feels good, do it.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Kishkumen
God

Re: Mormon hippie approach

Post by Kishkumen »

Sounds fine to me. I am right there with the hippies.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

"If it feels good do it?"

A less than perfect guide of course but not completely lacking in value. Too much drugs and alcohol? A variety of bad feelings crop up to say stop and desist. Not bothering with a job, lack of funds create all sorts of feelings saying better adjust your actions. Sitting too long on the couch? a sore ass says change your actions and find something worth while to do.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

This is a pretty standard response and F&T statement. It's no more hippie than a testimony has ever been. In fact, it's so standard that I question whether those who made the statement really believe it. I'm not saying they don't believe the Church, but I think statements like this are woven together on the fly drawing from a pool of statements known to sound good and terminate the possibility of needing to question further.

As an authoritarian leader, this is the commitment you want from your followers.