Tonight On Mormonism LIVE We Will Prove Beyond a Reasonable Doubt That Joseph Smith Originated and Perpetuated Polygamy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Tonight On Mormonism LIVE We Will Prove Beyond a Reasonable Doubt That Joseph Smith Originated and Perpetuated Polyg

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:40 am
Oliver Cowdery never took into account that Joseph was granted Barn Sealing powers before his encounters with Fanny Alger on the haystacks. The Barn Sealing became effective upon contact.
What goes on in the barn, stays in the barn....
malkie
God

Re: Tonight On Mormonism LIVE We Will Prove Beyond a Reasonable Doubt That Joseph Smith Originated and Perpetuated Polyg

Post by malkie »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:02 pm
I thought the reorganized folks gave up on denial of Joseph's polygamy years ago. Who is pursuing such a denial these days?
A few years ago I had the opportunity to talk to a RLDS apostle. He and I were setting up tables for dinner at a Sunstone conference.

I asked him about the then-current view of the RLDS on the Temple Lot Case, in which polygamy was a major source of discussion, with the Reorganized church arguing that Joseph was not a polygamist.

He replied: "We were wrong - plain and simple."
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

The notion that the Teraphim were instruments of divination comes directly from the Clarke Commentary, if memory serves.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:59 am
The notion that the Teraphim were instruments of divination comes directly from the Clarke Commentary, if memory serves.
They appear as “oracle idols” in chapters 17 and 18 of Judges. So, there is a Biblical precedent for the association, although the practice is condemned in other places in the Bible.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Perhaps Smith's biggest blunder as a highly iniquitous individual is linking polygamy to a God-given command when it is arguably the last thing a caring, sensitive God who loves his daughters would 'command' any man to require of any woman. But Smith wasn't a man, he was scum, a charismatic, masterful scam artist and con-man, serial adulterer and charlatan of the highest order with delusions of grandeur!
High Spy
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

BeNotDeceived wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:28 pm
Perhaps Smith's biggest blunder as a highly iniquitous individual is linking polygamy to a God-given command when it is arguably the last thing a caring, sensitive God who loves his daughters would 'command' any man to require of any woman. But Smith wasn't a man, he was scum, a charismatic, masterful scam artist and con-man, serial adulterer and charlatan of the highest order with delusions of grandeur!
Cool 😎 username, BND is B0ND minus the zero. Spawn of Satan, or something like that, according to The Wicker Man who occasionally hears from The Spirit.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

High Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:50 am
Cool 😎 username, BND is B0ND minus the zero. Spawn of Satan, or something like that, according to The Wicker Man who occasionally hears from The Spirit.
Your ramblings are entirely nonsensical. BND is also B111?!ND minus the 111?!
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
High Spy
2nd Quorum of 70

Perpetuated Polyg

Post by High Spy »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:04 am

Parker's model: ". . . When the prophet agrees with me, I will then listen to him as that is proof he is inspired."
High Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:50 am
Your ramblings are entirely nonsensical. BND is also B111?!ND minus the 111?!
Parker was the name of a friend of the friend of God on CBS God Friended Me.

Is that better. :?: