Accelerating liquor sales growth in Utah

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Accelerating liquor sales growth in Utah

Post by drumdude »

https://kslnewsradio.com/1981925/utah-a ... n-in-2022/

SALT LAKE CITY — Over the past five years, Utah has seen an increase in alcohol sales and this year is no expectation with a 7.7% increase.

The Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverages, DABS, reported revenue of $557.6 million from the fiscal year of July 1, 2021, to June 30, 2022.

The almost 8% increase is more than double the increase from 2020 to 2021, of approximately 3.4%. Data from DABS shows that the increase is $40 million.

Monthly sales in 2022 exceeded 2021 sales for most of the year, with the exception of April and October. The highest sales were seen during the months of December, totaling $65 million.
One person can really only drink so much alcohol, so it’s reasonable to assume most of the growth is new drinkers in the state. Compared to the growth rate of Mormonism, shuttering wards and flatlining, it’s surely a pretty bleak picture for the brethren. The number of people in Utah who are openly disobeying the brethren is growing by 5-10 percent a year!
IMG_7380.png
IMG_7380.png (18.41 KiB) Viewed 405 times
Dr. Sunstoned
CTR B

Re: Accelerating liquor sales growth in Utah

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

Perhaps these latest numbers could serve as a segue to a revamping of the WoW. A new "WoW light" could slow the flow of defections.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

It is also the case that larger numbers of non-LDS folk are moving in.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
yellowstone123
High Priest

Post by yellowstone123 »

Your factors are important but there are many more. Covid. I never drank alcohol until until around march of 2020 when I was at a liquor store and saw a can of high-noon. I bought 2. it had 10 percent vodka. I was Leary because I was on prescription medication for depression for the last twenty of of years. I bought two and guzzled at home two when lock Downs went into affect. I went into a complete black out for three hours. It was incredibly peaceful. After I woke up I needed that again. over the next couple years with all the time and a 1200 stimulus check spent at the state liquor stone..... $120.00 check out was normal. I spent the whole time under the influence. I tried every type of of alcohol drink playing with death because one of the medications was valium and I was going over the limit of taking them. I tell you at Walmart valium is 10.00 for a months supply, but a liter of vodka is 40.00 and you can go through three or four of those in a week. This is how bad it gets. People lost jobs, or were told to stay home as the stock brokers and capitalist worked with the last year of the trump and the first of Biden to get the jab into every person of the world making half a billion dollars. I had the j&J shot and a booster. Have I been as healthy as before the shots, no, but I'm approaching 62. My dad had both Mrna shots and is approaching 92 but I'm always with in 20 feet of him since August 15, 1991 when he got dizzy, fell and, broke his ankle. I took care of him like he was an infant. First bone he broke in 90 years. I'm just staying that liquor conception went up as well as suicides when the lock down fell into place. I'm still dealing with it. If I'm drunk, on an iPad and commenting on the internet it can go bad very quickly. I've lost very important people, some irrerplacable, from either with trump and Biden arguments - no for both -because of commenting on the internet I posted. I spoke went through things I saw between 1993 and 1998 with trump cronies who he was then giving a pardon.
What's faster than a .45 caliber bullet fired from a 1911 A1? The main spring of the gun below the barrel that seems to escape faster when you turn the barrel bushing with a special tool.
cacheman
Nursery

Post by cacheman »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:12 pm
One person can really only drink so much alcohol, so it’s reasonable to assume most of the growth is new drinkers in the state. Compared to the growth rate of Mormonism, shuttering wards and flatlining, it’s surely a pretty bleak picture for the brethren. The number of people in Utah who are openly disobeying the brethren is growing by 5-10 percent a year!
Since they're using revenue as the growth metric, I would assume that a good chunk of that growth (maybe around half of it) is due to inflation. For example, the inflation rate for alcoholic beverages in 2022 was 4.24% according to this link (https://www.in2013dollars.com/Alcoholic ... -inflation). Some of the growth likely also comes from non-members moving into the state as Kishkumen said.

-cacheman
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:34 pm
Your factors are important but there are many more. Covid. I never drank alcohol until until around march of 2020 when I was at a liquor store and saw a can of high-noon. I bought 2. it had 10 percent vodka. I was Leary because I was on prescription medication for depression for the last twenty of of years. I bought two and guzzled at home two when lock Downs went into affect. I went into a complete black out for three hours. It was incredibly peaceful. After I woke up I needed that again. over the next couple years with all the time and a 1200 stimulus check spent at the state liquor stone..... $120.00 check out was normal. I spent the whole time under the influence. I tried every type of of alcohol drink playing with death because one of the medications was valium and I was going over the limit of taking them. I tell you at Walmart valium is 10.00 for a months supply, but a liter of vodka is 40.00 and you can go through three or four of those in a week. This is how bad it gets. People lost jobs, or were told to stay home as the stock brokers and capitalist worked with the last year of the trump and the first of Biden to get the jab into every person of the world making half a billion dollars. I had the j&J shot and a booster. Have I been as healthy as before the shots, no, but I'm approaching 62. My dad had both Mrna shots and is approaching 92 but I'm always with in 20 feet of him since August 15, 1991 when he got dizzy, fell and, broke his ankle. I took care of him like he was an infant. First bone he broke in 90 years. I'm just staying that liquor conception went up as well as suicides when the lock down fell into place. I'm still dealing with it. If I'm drunk, on an iPad and commenting on the internet it can go bad very quickly. I've lost very important people, some irrerplacable, from either with trump and Biden arguments - no for both -because of commenting on the internet I posted. I spoke went through things I saw between 1993 and 1998 with trump cronies who he was then giving a pardon.
So, where do you go from here with alcohol and benzodiazepine consumption? How do you picture your life from here on out making these choices for yourself?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Bond
Star B

Post by Bond »

Non Mormon skiers have to buy their own flask of whiskey to keep them warm since they retired all those dogs.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

cacheman wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:50 pm
drumdude wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:12 pm
Since they're using revenue as the growth metric, I would assume that a good chunk of that growth (maybe around half of it) is due to inflation. For example, the inflation rate for alcoholic beverages in 2022 was 4.24% according to this link (https://www.in2013dollars.com/Alcoholic ... -inflation). Some of the growth likely also comes from non-members moving into the state as Kishkumen said.

-cacheman

Isn’t the church cashing in on these non members by selling alcohol at their city creek mall?
yellowstone123
High Priest

Post by yellowstone123 »

I’ll comment later but from Idaho comes potato’s where vodka comes from but an internet rumor is drinking vodka from Idaho is like drinking gas or something equivalent.

Not to mention yesterday, the daily mail linked 60 new diseases to ANY! alcohol consumption.
What's faster than a .45 caliber bullet fired from a 1911 A1? The main spring of the gun below the barrel that seems to escape faster when you turn the barrel bushing with a special tool.
cacheman
Nursery

Post by cacheman »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:42 pm
Isn’t the church cashing in on these non members by selling alcohol at their city creek mall?
Possibly. It wouldn't surprise me. But, I'm not familiar with what's sold at the mall, or how the business operation is structured.

-cacheman