Joseph Smith Photo the Latest Evidence!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Joseph Smith Photo the Latest Evidence!

Post by hauslern »

Ever since there was that article in the John Whitmer Historical Association of a new photo of Joseph Smith. Now on Mormon Book Reviews an interview with a Curtis Weber who has done extensive research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ-_wHcJ-xI

https://ensignpeakfoundation.org/wp-con ... -Smith.pdf by Curtis Weber

I was unaware that Emma Smith moved the body of her husband several times one to stop people who might want his skull and also affraid Brigham might also take it.

"As many Latter-day Saints were preparing for exodus to the West, Emma feared that Brigham Young might take some action to obtain control of the bodies. Young had publicly declared his willingness to do all possible to see Joseph’s wishes regarding burial in his tomb on the Temple block fulfilled, but Emma was unwilling to cede any control in the matter.5

Joseph F. Smith recalled that “just before the departure of the Twelve from Nauvoo [in 1846], his aunt Emma had the bodies removed again, this time to the Hibbard Woods, below the Nauvoo House, near the river.”6

How long the bodies remained at the Hibbard farm is unknown; but the bodies “were removed back to the old place” once the perceived danger was past.7 At the death of Emma Smith in 1879, there was no visible trace of the little building under which the brothers’ remains lay, and within the next thirty years, knowledge of the exact location of the graves was practically lost, although family members and other close and trusted friends knew the grave were on the Homestead property. Joseph Smith III, who had visited the site with his mother, pointed out the spot to a few others on at least one occasion; but with his death in 1914, only the general location of the gravesite was known among the descendants of Joseph.8" Weber
Kishkumen
God

Re: Joseph Smith Photo the Latest Evidence!

Post by Kishkumen »

So what’s the upshot? No one knows whose bones they are looking at?
Last edited by Kishkumen on Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

What does moving the body of Joseph Smith around have to do with his alleged photograph?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

hauslern wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:09 pm
I was unaware that Emma Smith moved the body of her husband several times one to stop people who might want his skull and also afraid Brigham might also take it.
Couldn't stop the Yale Skull and Bones Society. With Brigham, it would have been for a nefarious purpose rather than a backdrop for Yale's depravity and drinking.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I saw Rob Lauer on Facebook claiming he is now convinced it is Joseph. I am not. The problem I have is that I have seen relatives of Smith that look much more like the paintings than this image.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:24 pm
The problem I have is that I have seen relatives of Smith that look much more like the paintings than this image.
You must be referring to Joseph's Aunt, Wilma Fingerdoo Smith. The resemblance is uncanny.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014