F. Michael Watson Personally clarifies Hill Cumorah Letter

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: F. Michael Watson Personally clarifies Hill Cumorah Letter

Post by drumdude »

DanielPeterson → Sledge • 3 hours ago
Sledge: "Looks like "they" are complaining about the "second Watson letter" again— heads up."

Dan: Sigh. This is a Really Big Deal for them.
I can scarcely recall what the issue is. It doesn't loom large in my personal history, whatever it is. I do know that they insist that I've lied about the matter, but, of course, I haven't. And, good grief, it was a mere blip, and it was, what, twenty or thirty years ago?
Ignore, minimize, deflect, forget.

Anything but engage with the fact that Dan was caught with his pants down.

Highly recommend the Mormonism Live episode on it. Dan has never engaged with any of their content because it’s so thorough and he can’t refute hours of meticulously detailed research with just 1-2 lazy sentences like he’s used to doing.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:17 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:14 pm
I probably will, but I will be in Greece until the end of June, so I may not get to that part of this glorious work.
I hope you will be able to breakaway for a few days and get lost in the death camps of Europe.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Flemming
Valiant A

Post by Flemming »

The Ogden letter is the true one.
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

Sledge: "Looks like "they" are complaining about the "second Watson letter" again— heads up."

I can scarcely recall what the issue is. It doesn't loom large in my personal history, whatever it is. I do know that they insist that I've lied about the matter, but, of course, I haven't. And, good grief, it was a mere blip, and it was, what, twenty or thirty years ago?
It's much harder to remember a fabrication than an actual experience.
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
Flemming
Valiant A

Post by Flemming »

We care about a low level secretary’s opinion now?

So your sources of truth are: a 93 year old curmudgeon, and a (probably very old) secretary.

Cool.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Flemming wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:46 am

So your sources of truth are: a 93 year old curmudgeon, and a (probably very old) secretary.

Cool.
Actually, those would be their sources. If you have access to better ones, maybe you can help them out.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Flemming
Valiant A

Post by Flemming »

I did. The Ogden letter.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Flemming, allow me to fix your quote for you:
Donald J. Trump (regarding Cassidy Hutchinson) wrote:We care about a low level secretary’s opinion now?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:56 pm

Ignore, minimize, deflect, forget.

Anything but engage with the fact that Dan was caught with his pants down.

Highly recommend the Mormonism Live episode on it. Dan has never engaged with any of their content because it’s so thorough and he can’t refute hours of meticulously detailed research with just 1-2 lazy sentences like he’s used to doing.
DCP can't even lie well anymore... :lol: "it doesn't loom large in my personal history..." he says! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Flemming wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:46 am
No, they do. They falsely touted it as the Second Watson Letter when it was nothing more than a copy-and-paste from the Encyclopedia of Mormonism.

Blame them, not us.
A 93 year-old longtime member of the then-foremost Mopologetic institution in the world, and close friend of the editor of its flagship publication and frequent contributor thereto.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024