F. Michael Watson Personally clarifies Hill Cumorah Letter

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: F. Michael Watson Personally clarifies Hill Cumorah Letter

Post by drumdude »

Have we considered the “long fax theory” where the actual letter was many times longer than the fax we actually have?

It’s possible DCP held a piece of the letter which has since been lost to history.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:30 pm
Have we considered the “long fax theory” where the actual letter was many times longer than the fax we actually have?

It’s possible DCP held a piece of the letter which has since been lost to history.
Or maybe it was the “loose translation theory” where Hambone and Pasterson were given the general lessons and concepts through revelation about the Carla Ogden fax, but it was then left to them to weave those into a story that could be better understood by the Mopologists.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

If you take the extremely relativistic worldview that DCP does, then it can work any way you want.

Objective reality doesn’t exist, objective history doesn’t exist. Even if DCP never actually held the letter in his hand, history is such a fluid, malleable, unknown and opaque field of study that in 50 years it’ll be just as likely as not to historians that he held the letter in his hands.

Q.E.D.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

I'd be interested to know if anyone has physically examined all concerned, to determine if any unauthorized rhinoplasty has taken place.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MsJack wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:07 pm
Safe travels, my friend.
Thank you!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:14 pm
I probably will, but I will be in Greece until the end of June, so I may not get to that part of this glorious work.
I hope you will be able to breakaway for a few days and get lost in the death camps of Europe.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:17 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:14 pm
I probably will, but I will be in Greece until the end of June, so I may not get to that part of this glorious work.
I hope you will be able to breakaway for a few days and get lost in the death camps of Europe.
Kish is not nearly as cultured as DCP and the Midge. He probably doesn’t even have a favorite death camp.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Peterson mentions this board ad nauseam. He reads it every single day. He comments about the threads and posters here, frequently. Yet on this topic, nothing. Silence. Zero commentary. What gives?
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

Interesting thread. Has DCP ever responded to this thread?
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

Nimrod wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:47 pm
In the 1980s, the FARMS bunch fall in line behind John Sorenson's LGT, requiring there be two Cumorahs--one in New York and the other in MesoAmerica.

In the late 1980s, Ludlow's Encyclopedia of Mormonism includes an entry that gives room to the Book of Mormon Hill Cumorah being outside of New York, perhaps in MesoAmerica.
I believe that the Encyclopedia of Mormonism was first published in 1992.

From Wikipedia:
Published in 1992, the Encyclopedia contains nearly 1,500 articles, including several short unattributed entries in four volumes.