Records of disciplinary meeting availability

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
hauslern
Bishop

Records of disciplinary meeting availability

Post by hauslern »

I was reading the case against Trump and thought of what happened to the records of my excommunication and if I could ever view them for accuracy. When I was exed, the Bishop spoke first to the stake council and then a member who I had a debate with over the first vision was asked to give evidence. That gentleman I understand has become inactive. On LDSbot.com in answer to my question:

"In the church's disciplinary process, the leaders involved generally try to maintain confidentiality for all parties involved. If you were excommunicated, it might not be possible for you to see the specific testimonies of those who spoke against you during the disciplinary council. If you have concerns or questions about your disciplinary process, it's best to have a conversation with your local church leaders to seek understanding and discuss potential ways to address any concerns you may have. Remember, the ultimate goal of church disciplinary actions is to help individuals draw closer to Christ and, when possible, find a path to re-establish their full membership within the church."

The other witness was a Gary Sturgess who was involved in a paper in a FARMS publication. He had a politically successful career as head of the Cabinet Office of the Premier of New South Wales. His brother told me, "Gary? Not active. Lives in Blue Mountains."

So why can't I see what was said about me? I was not questioned by anyone about my paper on the FV. I doubt any members of the stake council even knew about the FV debate. What has been the experience of those here who have attended a court procedure? Did you hear what evidence was produced against you?
yellowstone123
Bishop

Re: Records of disciplinary meeting availability

Post by yellowstone123 »

I was excommunicated in 1981. It was like a Sen. Joe McCarthy hearing. Sixteen old white men around a table and a seat for me and a microphone in front to speak into. There was a reel-to-reel tape recorder to record my statements. The Stake President said they wanted to make sure the record was accurate. Today with iPhones, etc. they ask you not to record.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:25 pm
I was excommunicated in 1981. It was like a Sen. Joe McCarthy hearing. Sixteen old white men around a table and a seat for me and a microphone in front to speak into. There was a reel-to-reel tape recorder to record my statements. The Stake President said they wanted to make sure the record was accurate. Today with iPhones, etc. they ask you not to record.
That sounds intense. More intense than if you had committed a crime and were up in front of a jury.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

Thank you. I was so scared each time. As time went on I realized it's over and the leadership of our stake could no longer threaten me or psychologically hurt me. It was like a sword which hung over your head by a thread was no longer there, but now I was an outcast in the culture that I grew up in and the sentence was spiritual death. Someday I would like to meet the one person who was completely against it. I wonder who the one man on the High Counsel who said it was wrong to the Stake Presidency and to the rest of the court.

And I guess it was good that my parents had separated years before, but before my dad moved back home. He would have sat me down, asked me what happened, confirmed that it was taped, and then responded.

The LDS friends my age really were sorry what happened. They did rally around me to comfort me and try to help. The Church still wanted me to attend priesthood meeting and get help at the new LDS social services, but LDS social services didn't employ anyone at the time with the skills to heal the wound the LDS High Counsel created; the only people that did have the skills would be through my fathers health insurance.

My Bishop would always talk to me, he even pointed out a letter just written by President Kimball and showed it to me and hinted you are the reason the letter was written. It basically told the Stake Presidents in Orange County, Calif, to be patient with the youth as they were facing things the world had never seen before. My Bishop had a soft spot for me because we had the same birthday but he was many years older, went into the military after BYU as an officer, and then private business. He was really smart and doing his best to help. He was at the first court, but could not be at the second one.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.