Midgley Announces an Essay on “the silly and disgusting things” that BYU Admin Did to John Gee

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Midgley Announces an Essay on “the silly and disgusting things” that BYU Admin Did to John Gee

Post by Doctor Scratch »

A very interesting development:
Louis Midgley wrote:I am, however, pleased that I have managed to have my review of a really excellent book by my friend, John Gee, finally in print. And also to have some of the story of how his excellent book was unpublished by the BYU Administration told with most of the ugly details set out, My essay sets out some of the silly and disgusting things that the current BYU Administration allowed or facilitated when they unpublished Professor Gee's wonderful book entitled Saving Faith: How Families Protect, Sustain, and Encourage Faith, which is a genuinely faith supporting book that was published by the Religious Studies Center at BYU, in cooperation with Deseret Book Company, in 2020.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 6207610302

Wow. This sounds pretty salacious. Has it actually been published, though? I only looked briefly, but was unable to find it at Interpreter…
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Tom
Regional Representative

Re: Midgley Announces an Essay on “the silly and disgusting things” that BYU Admin Did to John Gee

Post by Tom »

I wonder when the revised edition of Dr. Gee’s book will appear. I believe we’re approaching three years since it was pulled. (It’s still available for purchase through FAIR’s bookstore.)
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
drumdude
God

Re: Midgley Announces an Essay on “the silly and disgusting things” that BYU Admin Did to John Gee

Post by drumdude »

If it was up to the members of Interpreter, BYU would be the Mormon version of Liberty University.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Yeah, he does make it sound like it's been published. But then again, we know the apologists have a very low bar for what counts as publishing a paper. It's possible that he typed it out on his favorite manual typewriter and nobody else has read it yet.

If it does make its presence known online, I'll definitely give it a fair review of my own.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

This covers some of the backstory: https://religionnews.com/2020/09/08/con ... -john-gee/

As Midgley points out, this was not about dressing up in ancient attire and walking around like a Reformed Egyptian. It was about a book that included much inflammatory misinformation, which as Dr Midgley says, "Should not trouble BYU in the least. If they can countenance apologetics they should have no problem with this book."
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Looks like more ark-steadying to me. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Sometimes BYU will publish its own faculty’s stuff, sometimes it won’t. It is entirely up to the powers that be to decide. Surely some vanity press with extreme views will publish it.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:12 am
A very interesting development:
Louis Midgley wrote:I am, however, pleased that I have managed to have my review of a really excellent book by my friend, John Gee, finally in print. And also to have some of the story of how his excellent book was unpublished by the BYU Administration told with most of the ugly details set out, My essay sets out some of the silly and disgusting things that the current BYU Administration allowed or facilitated when they unpublished Professor Gee's wonderful book entitled Saving Faith: How Families Protect, Sustain, and Encourage Faith, which is a genuinely faith supporting book that was published by the Religious Studies Center at BYU, in cooperation with Deseret Book Company, in 2020.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 6207610302

Wow. This sounds pretty salacious. Has it actually been published, though? I only looked briefly, but was unable to find it at Interpreter…
Mosiah 16:6 comes to mind: “….speaking of things to come as though they had already come.” I assume the ugly details will be posted on the Interpreter website in the next few weeks.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:41 am
This covers some of the backstory: https://religionnews.com/2020/09/08/con ... -john-gee/

As Midgley points out, this was not about dressing up in ancient attire and walking around like a Reformed Egyptian. It was about a book that included much inflammatory misinformation, which as Dr Midgley says, "Should not trouble BYU in the least. If they can countenance apologetics they should have no problem with this book."
Lets just face the music, Gee is out of his league on every single subject he writes on...
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I'm just glad Midgley is focusing on something other than Gina Colvin.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Other than his PhD is Misanthropic Misology, what would be Midgley's unique qualifications for reviewing the book?