Reviving the Board

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Reviving the Board

Post by Dr. Shades »

Fernando wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:13 pm
I read a post last week about how board activity has been declining recently, and during the past few days, I have definitely noticed a decline in involvement.
You have "definitely noticed" a decline in involvement during the past few days? Stick around a few more days, then.
What makes it seem like that? Is it because people are growing weary of the ongoing hostility toward Mormons? Another possibility is that the board has become so far to the left over the past year, nearly to the point of developing cult-like inclinations.
Let's see: You joined on July 04, then made this post on July 09. Tell us how you know what the board has or hasn't become over the past year as you simultaneously refrained from registering an account until now.
Another thing to think about is whether the moderators should be replaced by a team that is more just and equitable but might not be as progressive.
That sounds like code language for, "Let's get moderators who allow people to constantly break the rules."
There must be a reason why people keep signing up for the board, yet none of them ever post more than once or twice.
That's the case with every message board.
This board will become just as pitiful as the New Order Mormon board if nothing is done soon, with only a half dozen ardent adherents commenting about how absurd Mormonism is. The fact that the founder and moderators are naïve about how they have essentially allowed the board to become into a Mormon-bashing hell hole makes me think it's a shame that this board is beginning to collapse.
People predicted the demise of this message board within a month of the founding of its original version way back in late summer of 2005 or so. 18 years later and it's still moving along just fine, so forgive me if I don't start to panic just yet.
Any ideas as to how the board might be revived?
Yes. Your fresh perspective and your upcoming thought-provoking threads about Mormonism are sure to draw the attention of numerous and diverse people with interest in the topic. Do you disagree?
Is it destined to be completely destroyed due to its strong tendency to despise Mormonism via a progressive lens of cultiness?
Not anymore. Your respectful and well-reasoned promotions of Mormonism will bring about the change you wish to see here. How can they not?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:17 am
It’s summertime. People have interests outside of Mormonism. Honey, the discussion board will go down when we’re six feet under. Proclaim your victory then.
Yup. Lots of online things see a decline in the summer. There's a gaming server I play on, and once summer rolls around every year, it all but dies for the season (especially when it comes to the European crew).

Much to my consternation. The summertime is the one time of year that leaving the house is an act of self-flagellation via air lava.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey Shades!
Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:44 am
People predicted the demise of this message board within a month of the founding of its original version way back in late summer of 2005 or so. 18 years later and it's still moving along just fine, so forgive me if I don't start to panic just yet.
(Bold mine)

In case you don't know already, I appreciate you and I have really enjoyed participating on your free speech board for a very long time (Thank you) - But, I am not convinced that you really believe that this board is "moving along just fine."

If you really do believe that, no worries. Just saying.....
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

ceeboo wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:08 am
This board, like any other space that is designed to have people gather and discuss, is a community of people that is largely influenced, in tone and messaging, by the majority of its members. To be clear, I don't think this reality is a bad thing or a good thing - it is just the thing.

For example: Take another discussion board like CARM (A space where the majority of its members are Christians) you would find plenty of community support for posters who post things positive about Jesus and/or the Bible. On the other hand, if you were agnostic or an atheist or a Mormon (for example), you would, at best, be treated with great skepticism, you would be challenged, and you would most likely not be given the benefit of the doubt when you posted. At worst, you would be attacked, mocked, and dismissed.

This board, mostly, is a space for ex-Mormons who happen to fall left of center politically. Generally speaking, this is how humans behave - We try to find other humans that can relate to our own experiences, have things in common with us, and where we are comfortable hanging out. Most of us do it. Most of us.

Ideas to revive the board? If the majority of members don't believe that the community is dying, from their view, there would be no need to revive it, obviously. If you, on the other hand, think the board needs to be revived, the only thing you can do is to start threads that you think others will find interesting and see where it goes. If you do decide to do this, I think it would be very helpful for you to understand, recognize, and accept the space that you are in.

Anyway, just my take.
It's great to see you, ceeboo! I alway enjoy having you post here. I hope all is well with you, and I hope we continue to see posts from you. I miss you when you are gone.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

If I may opine on the board situation . . . .

The fact that this board continues to draw a handful of interested posters after all of these years is a tribute to Shades' original concept. Kudos to you, Dr. Shades!

But, let's be honest, this board appeals to a small group of people. It always has. It may be a smaller group today than in the past. Once devoted denizens of the board have moved on with their lives. They spend less time thinking about Mormonism. Faithful Mormons usually seek out places that make them feel good about their faith and justified in ignoring the "critics."

What we see happening here is what is happening all over the internet, indeed, all over the globe. Technology serves to facilitate communication but not community stability. It actually leads to the fragmentation of its fragile online communities. The more contentious the issues, the more dedicated the participants, the more likely fragmentation will be. As new platforms come up, the generations that come to the conversation as these platforms hit their stride will go to those platforms, not to the old groups.

This board competes with other boards, blogs, reddit, Facebook, communities flourishing around popular podcasts, etc. Once people find a place they are comfortable, they generally silo in that place. They don't have time to look into and participate in every last community that springs up.

I spend very little time on reddit. But A LOT of Mormon conversations happen on reddit. I no longer follow the community around John Dehlin. He is the most popular podcaster out there. I found my place. I like it here. I don't even participate in the MADD board any longer, and that place has seen a lot of change, too. In fact, I think I gave up on that one first, because the people there annoyed me quite a bit.

So, to sum up, there is no real problem here. This place is vulnerable to the vicissitudes that impact every online community. The fact that it is still active, still hosting conversations after all this time, is a tribute to the formula Shades began with.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey Kish! :)
Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:04 pm
It's great to see you, ceeboo! I alway enjoy having you post here. I hope all is well with you, and I hope we continue to see posts from you. I miss you when you are gone.
What a kind and generous thing to say. Thanks.

All is well in my world. I hope all is well in your neck of the woods too.

As you may know, I don't read/post very much in these forums anymore. After spending years learning about Mormonism and meeting so many gracious Mormons/Ex-Morons that were kind enough to take the time to share their stories with me (including you!), I grew a little bored with Mormonism (Not Mormons). So, I spend some time (not very much) in the Paradise forums these days. Why would I do that? It's kind of fun to get your head bashed in daily. :)

Anyway, thanks again for the very warm words. I miss you too!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:13 pm
If I may opine on the board situation . . . .

The fact that this board continues to draw a handful of interested posters after all of these years is a tribute to Shades' original concept. Kudos to you, Dr. Shades!

But, let's be honest, this board appeals to a small group of people. It always has. It may be a smaller group today than in the past. Once devoted denizens of the board have moved on with their lives. They spend less time thinking about Mormonism. Faithful Mormons usually seek out places that make them feel good about their faith and justified in ignoring the "critics."

What we see happening here is what is happening all over the internet, indeed, all over the globe. Technology serves to facilitate communication but not community stability. It actually leads to the fragmentation of its fragile online communities. The more contentious the issues, the more dedicated the participants, the more likely fragmentation will be. As new platforms come up, the generations that come to the conversation as these platforms hit their stride will go to those platforms, not to the old groups.

This board competes with other boards, blogs, reddit, Facebook, communities flourishing around popular podcasts, etc. Once people find a place they are comfortable, they generally silo in that place. They don't have time to look into and participate in every last community that springs up.

I spend very little time on reddit. But A LOT of Mormon conversations happen on reddit. I no longer follow the community around John Dehlin. He is the most popular podcaster out there. I found my place. I like it here. I don't even participate in the MADD board any longer, and that place has seen a lot of change, too. In fact, I think I gave up on that one first, because the people there annoyed me quite a bit.

So, to sum up, there is no real problem here. This place is vulnerable to the vicissitudes that impact every online community. The fact that it is still active, still hosting conversations after all this time, is a tribute to the formula Shades began with.
And another hearty, "Amen," Reverend.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Agreed, Kishkumen, as is often the case, said it well. Agreed!
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Make the posts you want to see.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

The world has enough screaming banshees. You can scroll forever though your Facebook feed to see what people are selling. There's no shortage of people shouting their viewpoints and "hot takes" from every window. I've sat through enough weeping men and women bearing their plastic manufactured testimony through the sacrament hall loudspeakers every Sunday.

I'll take some slow, calm, long form discussion on an old school message board, thanks. There's some drama here, sure, but it's nothing compared to the parade of emotion on display from both social media and anyone with a microphone in front of a captive audience.

Anyone who comes here does it because they want to. Not because some algorithm shoved it in their face. Not because they're participating in a ritual gathering. You can take it or leave it, and the only censorship here is to clean up the obnoxious childish rants from those who can't be bothered to engage calmly and rationally.