Reviving the Board

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Reviving the Board

Post by Res Ipsa »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:12 am
Marcus wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:03 am

Amen.
I’m a staunch advocate for libertarian free speech but watching people take a dump in the punch bowl over and over and complain about being censored when the fecal matter is removed is getting really tiring.

Not just here but in society as a whole. Challenging authority, especially governmental and scientific authority, has become some peoples’ entire identity.
I take a dim view of knee-jerk anti-authoritarians as well. Are you seeing people take a dump in the punch bowl anywhere other that Prison or Telestial?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:23 am
drumdude wrote:

I’m a staunch advocate for libertarian free speech but watching people take a dump in the punch bowl over and over and complain about being censored when the fecal matter is removed is getting really tiring.

Not just here but in society as a whole. Challenging authority, especially governmental and scientific authority, has become some peoples’ entire identity.
I take a dim view of knee-jerk anti-authoritarians as well. Are you seeing people take a dump in the punch bowl anywhere other that Prison or Telestial?
Nothing that hasn’t been cleaned up here. It was much worse a while back.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:55 pm
Marcus wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:44 pm
Lol. That looks like curiosity in it's eyes too. Or maybe it was cursing you for keeping the container lid shut. (speaking from experience.)
That's a "come at me bro" pose.

Also, a subtle "do you even lift?"
Me: "OK, buddy, but first: I am required by my training to inform you I have a black belt in feng shui."
I'd bet $20 that the racoon started following Bret's significant other on Instagram shortly after this, and will be PM-ing them in no time.
It's funny you should mention her; last year, while my wife was away visiting family in the olde country, I found an opossum in that same spot. The raccoon photos were taken a couple of weeks ago, while she was again away visiting family. If she starts planning another trip, I shall start hoarding bear spray.

(Oh, and she doesn't have an Instagram account. She's not even on Facebook. She's practically imaginary.)
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:25 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:23 am
Nothing that hasn’t been cleaned up here. It was much worse a while back.
Cool. Thanks.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:19 am
Years ago, my young teenager kid with insomnia woke me up and we spent many hours in the pool watching the skunks wander by. Eventually we ended up indoors watching 'Beavis and Butthead do America' and baking a chocolate cake.

My twenty-something kid still speaks fondly of our adventure to this day.
Good stuff!
Thank god for animals and their explorations.
Oh, yeah. We've had a few dog-skunk encounters over the years (tomato juice is our friend), and even one rather frightening dog-porcupine encounter -- on a Christmas morning! It all turned out OK in the end -- even though it was Xmas morning we were able to get our brave Assault Labrador (good old Ben) to an emergency pet clinic to have the quills removed from his face and neck; as for the porcupine, it had been dead all along.)

Then there was the time we had a very nervous skunk rummaging around under our drafty old house, and our psycho kittens heard it through the heat registers in the floor. *Pounce* *Pounce* *Pounce* ... say, did you know skunks can spray up to six times between recharges?
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

drumdude wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:03 am
Amen.

Yes it's not even debating either. It's just low-intelligence trolls emoting their anger at the world on this forum. They have nothing interesting to say. They're too stupid to debate. They're too ignorant to research to support their own beliefs. All they have is impotent rage at society and the vast majority of this site's posters because we don't share their superstitions.

It's also a waste of the moderators' time to make them have to run behind the trolls with a stool bag. Save everyone's time, Shades, and ban the trolls.

I'm fine if someone wants to actually post things from actual conservative intellectuals such as David French instead of just reactionary poop memes.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ceeboo wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:09 pm
Marcus wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:43 pm
Or a sexist. Oh wait, that's you! And you were very irritated when it was brought up recently. I am puzzled why you are so upset over something that you openly admitted was true about your past posts. To your credit you seem to have gotten past that. The pain of someone telling me that their sexist comments about me weren't really sexist because you made stereotypical sexist comments about ONLY ONE WOMAN (me), is somewhat mitigated by your later apologies. Somewhat.

But thanks for contributing another stellar post.
You're having to work way too hard replying, Marcus. Desperate deflection doesn't erase the fact that you are one of the biggest trolls on this board. Why don't you just own it. If you want to make a change, then change. If you don't want to make a change, then don't. Either way, you should at least be willing to accept reality.
Question. What is the difference between trolling and stridently confronting someone on their inconsistencies, bigotry, biases, or conduct? I used to do the latter quite frequently and while I was called many things, troll wasn't one of them.

Curious how you distinguish between the two...
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:59 am
Marcus wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:19 am
Years ago, my young teenager kid with insomnia woke me up and we spent many hours in the pool watching the skunks wander by. Eventually we ended up indoors watching 'Beavis and Butthead do America' and baking a chocolate cake.

My twenty-something kid still speaks fondly of our adventure to this day.
Good stuff!
Thank god for animals and their explorations.
Oh, yeah. We've had a few dog-skunk encounters over the years (tomato juice is our friend), and even one rather frightening dog-porcupine encounter -- on a Christmas morning! It all turned out OK in the end -- even though it was Xmas morning we were able to get our brave Assault Labrador (good old Ben) to an emergency pet clinic to have the quills removed from his face and neck; as for the porcupine, it had been dead all along.)

Then there was the time we had a very nervous skunk rummaging around under our drafty old house, and our psycho kittens heard it through the heat registers in the floor. *Pounce* *Pounce* *Pounce* ... say, did you know skunks can spray up to six times between recharges?
:lol: :lol: :lol: i've had a few of those psycho kittens myself. And glad to hear good boy Ben survived his encounter. :D
Cube 7
Nursery

Post by Cube 7 »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:14 am
ceeboo wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:09 pm
You're having to work way too hard replying, Marcus. Desperate deflection doesn't erase the fact that you are one of the biggest trolls on this board. Why don't you just own it. If you want to make a change, then change. If you don't want to make a change, then don't. Either way, you should at least be willing to accept reality.
Question. What is the difference between trolling and stridently confronting someone on their inconsistencies, bigotry, biases, or conduct? I used to do the latter quite frequently and while I was called many things, troll wasn't one of them.

Curious how you distinguish between the two...
I have to state that, in my opinion, Atlanticmike was and still is the smartest posters that has ever contributed to the board in any capacity. The guy made public his plans for posting on the forum, and within a year, all of the things he said would occur came to pass exactly as he had described them. And now that board participation is at a record low, it seems that his goal of exposing the blatant progressive hypocrisy that is found on the board on a daily basis has turned off a great deal of new posters to the point that no one posts on the board other than the same tired and old white ex-Mormons who have devolved into severely depressed individuals because they are too ignorant to figure out how to live life after leaving Mormonism. Fernando and I are of the same opinion that the board does not have the same allure as it once did. To be more specific, I believe that the primary reason the board no longer possesses any credibility is due to the fact that it continues to support ex-Mormon prophets like Bill Real and RFM. These two idiots have been out of anti-Mormon stuff for more than a year, and now they're back to regurgitating the same content they did years ago when they ran out of anti-Mormon material. Watching it is depressing, almost as depressing as some of the trash that has been posted on this forum as of late.

I'm going to give you something to think about, Dr. Shades. You have approximately 12 to 15 regular posters who contribute to the discussion on a weekly basis, and you have four progressive moderators who are responsible for monitoring the daily activity on the board. What you've done to your board is exactly the same as what's been going on at Bud Light over the past few months. You are responsible for the death of your board because you put a small group of mad progressives in charge of it, and those progressives have contributed to the board's reputation as a place where other insane progressives may go to air their rage against conservatives. If you were a businessman and ran that business the way you run this board, you would be bankrupt and living on the street with a pride of filthy cats that you chat to since you don't have any true friends.

Are you pleased with the board even if it has degenerated into a progressive wasteland?

Please send me a private message Dr. Shades, if you are Atlanticmike.
Cube 7
Nursery

Post by Cube 7 »

Fernando wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:13 pm
I read a post last week about how board activity has been declining recently, and during the past few days, I have definitely noticed a decline in involvement. What makes it seem like that? Is it because people are growing weary of the ongoing hostility toward Mormons? Another possibility is that the board has become so far to the left over the past year, nearly to the point of developing cult-like inclinations.

Another thing to think about is whether the moderators should be replaced by a team that is more just and equitable but might not be as progressive. There must be a reason why people keep signing up for the board, yet none of them ever post more than once or twice.

This board will become just as pitiful as the New Order Mormon board if nothing is done soon, with only a half dozen ardent adherents commenting about how absurd Mormonism is. The fact that the founder and moderators are naïve about how they have essentially allowed the board to become into a Mormon-bashing hell hole makes me think it's a shame that this board is beginning to collapse. Any ideas as to how the board might be revived? Is it destined to be completely destroyed due to its strong tendency to despise Mormonism via a progressive lens of cultiness?
I can't post as much as I want to because the board is becoming too political.