Kishkumen's Sunstone [Presentation]

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Kishkumen's Sunstone [Presentation]

Post by Kishkumen »

I briefly went to Sunstone and presented a short paper with a really awesome panel on Mormonism and Psychedelics. Don Bradley presented with me for the first time in our long friendship. Rob Beckstead, who has been a key figure in this area of research, was in attendance. It all went over really well. When it comes out in audio you all should check it out. My fellow panelists were really impressive in every way, and I learned a whole lot from them.

I also attended a very touching panel memorializing Eugene England, which featured his wife, one of his grown sons, and Maxine Hanks. I got to shake hands with Taylor Petrey and Benjamin Park. I had a friendly chuckle with the latter over his Interpreter reviews. He took his treatment over there in stride. I mentioned to Taylor Lou Midgley's review of John Gee's book. Taylor said, "I'll have to read that." I said, "No, you really don't." We laughed. On this latter point, let me just say that the Black and Midgley reviews are, unfortunately, not among the worthwhile pieces at Interpreter, but I do enjoy reading a lot of other things published over there, just as I have enjoyed reading other things Black and Midgley have written. Too bad about these reviews.

In any case, man, what a lot of fun! I recommend Sunstone heartily. It is not a perfect conference, but you get to meet and talk with so many of the cool people that we see come up in our discussions here. I saw John Hamer around quite a bit, but I never got a chance to introduce myself and shake his hand. H. Michael Marquardt was walking around selling a nice printout of his book Inventing Mormonism with footnotes instead of endnotes. I bought a copy and chatted him up for a minute.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gadianton
God

Re: Kishkumen's Sunstone

Post by Gadianton »

That sounds awesome. Have you guys ever considered going on Joe Rogan with your Psychedelic-spirituality-Mormon material? Maybe need a find a stepping-stone cast first but I could totally see that happening. I'd love to see the world presented with an alternative view of Mormon spirituality that can't be controlled by the corporate church or ark-steading outlets like SeN.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I look forward to viewing this session!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:50 pm
That sounds awesome. Have you guys ever considered going on Joe Rogan with your Psychedelic-spirituality-Mormon material? Maybe need a find a stepping-stone cast first but I could totally see that happening. I'd love to see the world presented with an alternative view of Mormon spirituality that can't be controlled by the corporate church or ark-steading outlets like SeN.
This guy I know, Brian Muraresku, who wrote a book on psychedelics and religion, has been on Rogan! I would love to see the panel as guests on Rogan. That would be fun.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:23 pm
I look forward to viewing this session!
It was really 😎. I would have loved to see you there, but the audio comes out on August 15th.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Very cool, Reverend.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Congratulations, Kishkumen!

What basically were your findings? Will a video or audio be available?

Any reports on Consiglieri's presentation?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Fantastic. Wish I could have been there. Next year then.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:22 pm
Very cool, Reverend.
Thanks, RI!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:32 pm
Congratulations, Kishkumen!

What basically were your findings? Will a video or audio be available?

Any reports on Consiglieri's presentation?
Audio will be available. The panel introduced people to our project. Pretty good evidence was laid out for the use of psychedelics by Solomon Mack, Joseph Smith, Sr., and Lucy Mack Smith. Good evidence for it in Εarly Mormonism, too. I think the evidence is pretty persuasive, but there is a lot more work to be done. My piece was more of a historical big picture thing about how psychedelics have been used in religion for centuries. In particular, I looked at the Mithras Liturgy a bit, and this is something I owe to our friend Philo Sophie!