DCP likens the protest against the Cody temple to Nazi antisemitism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

DCP likens the protest against the Cody temple to Nazi antisemitism

Post by drumdude »

“DCP” wrote:I was saddened to see how ugly the controversy over a proposed temple in Cody, Wyoming, has become, at least in some circles. A few commenters on the Facebook page of a group that bills itself as “Preserve Our Cody Neighborhoods” are calling for legal “war” with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and for a list of LDS-owned businesses to be boycotted. (Perhaps such businesses might be required to display, say, a yellow star, so that they will more easily identified?)

Opposition to the temple ostensibly derives from its height, its planned location in a residential area, and the bright lights with which all Latter-day Saint temples are allegedly ablaze throughout the night. Some on the “Preserve Our Cody Neighborhoods” Facebook page have, however pointed to the Mountain Meadows Massacre as representative of the Church, dismissed the Church as non-Christian and therefore not welcome in the God-fearing city of Cody, and pronounced it not a real religion but, rather, a soulless corporation. More recently, though, one “Kevin Jay Clapper” has distinguished himself by pronouncing my faith .
a “religion” founded by a pedo, that harbors thousands more . . . on purpose. Who on Earth would support such a thing? Maybe Jeffery Epstein disciples can move in across the street.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... -fall.html
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: DCP likens the protest against the Cody temple to Nazi antisemitism

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

“In response to such falsehoods, I can only hope that the excellent work of Jennifer Roach can be better disseminated among both Latter-day Saints and those who feel the need to condemn Latter-day Saints.”

Who is Jennifer Roach? Is this lay member the spokesperson for the Mormon church? I googled her, and oh, she’s an apologist. :roll:

All people want the Mormons to do is not blast their beautiful night sky with glaring temple lights. Funny, as it turns out, the stars are preferable to nepotistic shlockitecture.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Tacenda
Sunbeam

Post by Tacenda »

I read through the posts on Facebook group: Preserve our Cody Neighborhoods and it looks to me like the community as a whole do not like this at all. DCP is out of the loop. Someone even video'd the sky and how dark it is at the spot that they have for the temple. And also video'd what a nearby temple, I think Montana's, looks so lit up at night. I think it's sad. The church should look to put one somewhere that won't affect a small country town like Cody.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The Cody residents should accept the nighttime skies of Las Vegas if it keeps them from putting Mormons in gas ovens!!!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I detest this kind of mutual hostility over something that would be better handled by sober conversations across the divide between residents and the LDS Church. Why not a town meeting? Why not show some flexibility to work with the neighborhood? Why all the nastiness toward the LDS Church and Mormonism? What purpose does it serve to create division and stoke mutual hatred?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

A tone deaf post from DCP considering the folks protesting the temple are otherwise his fellow National Review libertarians. That's on top of the tone deafness of DCP making the richest church on the planet out to be a victim.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:39 pm
A tone deaf post from DCP considering the folks protesting the temple are otherwise his fellow National Review libertarians. That's on top of the tone deafness of DCP making the richest church on the planet out to be a victim.
People really need to do some diplomatic communication. It looks like there is a rush to extremes of rhetoric on both sides.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:56 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:39 pm
People really need to do some diplomatic communication. It looks like there is a rush to extremes of rhetoric on both sides.
DCP is cherry picking. I doubt most people who want to maintain the night sky care much about Mormonism at all enough to hate it.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:20 pm
I doubt most people who want to maintain the night sky care much about Mormonism at all enough to hate it.
I, too, doubt that most of the residents of Cody hate Mormonism. They may hate having a temple in the neighborhood, especially one with such a high profile, but that is not the same as hating a religion.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Kishkumen wrote:It looks like there is a rush to extremes of rhetoric
This is exactly my point. If there is one thing about being a National Review Republican like DCP and the non-Mormons in Wyoming, it's rushing to an extreme in rhetoric as fast as possible, plugging your ears, and never backing down.