Three Questions (Split from, ‘Vogel Responds …’)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Three Questions (Split from, ‘Vogel Responds …’)

Post by drumdude »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:22 pm
Morley wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:25 pm
Ergo, Islam is ‘true’.
And the CofJCofLDS is truer. Truth and truths reside along a spectrum. That this truth is ‘true’ doesn’t in any way negate truth found in any one religion and/or no religion at all.

It’s like the old Arby’s commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOYcSamCtu0

Different is good. Islam is good/true. The restoration of the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ is good/truer. A spectrum or continuum of truth.

President Hinckley said to those of other faiths, “You bring all the good that you have and let us see if we can add to it.”

But if those of other faiths choose not to look at the truths of the LDS Church that doesn’t in any way negate the truth/light that they choose to live by.

Ergo, Islam is true.

Regards,
MG
The most important question is not about truth. It’s about sufficiency.

It is sufficient to know that the brake pedal stops the car to bring a car to a stop. You don’t need to be a physicist or an engineer.

If other religions are sufficient for salvation then the Mormon church is merely a supplemental and unnecessary addition. One that comes with a nontrivial cost to one’s finances and time.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Vogel responds to Brian Hales

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:51 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:22 pm

And the CofJCofLDS is truer. Truth and truths reside along a spectrum. That this truth is ‘true’ doesn’t in any way negate truth found in any one religion and/or no religion at all.

It’s like the old Arby’s commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOYcSamCtu0

Different is good. Islam is good/true. The restoration of the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ is good/truer. A spectrum or continuum of truth.

President Hinckley said to those of other faiths, “You bring all the good that you have and let us see if we can add to it.”

But if those of other faiths choose not to look at the truths of the LDS Church that doesn’t in any way negate the truth/light that they choose to live by.

Ergo, Islam is true.

Regards,
MG
The most important question is not about truth. It’s about sufficiency.
Two things. Are you suggesting that truth is not essential? Secondly, it might be well for you to define what you mean by ‘truth’. Your definition most probably plays into your first answer.
drumdude wrote:
It is sufficient to know that the brake pedal stops the car to bring a car to a stop. You don’t need to be a physicist or an engineer.
Well, of course.
drumdude wrote:
If other religions are sufficient for salvation then the Mormon church is merely a supplemental and unnecessary addition. One that comes with a nontrivial cost to one’s finances and time.
It comes back to truth(s) being located/found along a spectrum. Many of those truths may well lead towards salvation. Some of those truths, however, may lead toward exaltation.

And it’s different strokes for different folks. Thus my reference to the Arby’s commercial. Maybe you’re not old enough to have been around to see it back in the day.

You mention that baptism into the church comes at a cost. Yes, it does. But sacrifice brings forth blessings. And those blessings are unique to those that walk in obedience and according to the covenants made in within the gospel framework.

That’s not for everyone.

Regards,
MG
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

You’re dodging the question. Does the church teach that non-Mormons will be saved or not?

There is plenty of time to learn the truth throughout eternity as long as you have salvation and eternal life.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:52 pm
You’re dodging the question. Does the church teach that non-Mormons will be saved or not?
I’ve answered your question. Now, rather than dodging my questions…would you answer them?
drumdude wrote:
There is plenty of time to learn the truth throughout eternity as long as you have salvation and eternal life.
A third question to go along with the first two. Do salvation and eternal life precede learning truth? It sounds like this is what you’re saying.

Please don’t pull some of the tricks that some folks use around here to avoid answering my questions. You are generally pretty good at responding unless your back is up against the wall.

Answer my questions and show that you’re an inquisitive thinker with opinions and beliefs of some sort or another.

Three questions. Easy peasy. 🙂

Regards,
MG
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:24 pm
drumdude wrote:
I’ve answered your question. Now, rather than dodging my questions…would you answer them?
drumdude wrote:
A third question to go along with the first two. Do salvation and eternal life precede learning truth? It sounds like this is what you’re saying.

Please don’t pull some of the tricks that some folks use around here to avoid answering my questions. You are generally pretty good at responding unless your back is up against the wall.

Answer my questions and show that you’re an inquisitive thinker with opinions and beliefs of some sort or another.

Regards,
MG
Hi, MG. Just clarifying; these are your three questions, correct?

1. Define what is meant by, ‘truth’.
2. Is truth essential?
3. Do salvation and eternal life precede learning truth?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

MG 2.0 wrote:
drumdude wrote:
drumdude wrote:

Regards,
MG
All I’m saying is that Mormonism is unnecessary because of its own teaching that everyone can be saved after death and learn whatever they need to learn in the afterlife.

To the extent Mormons who leave the church are punished, all that means is that missionaries are not saving souls. They’re actually putting them at risk. It would be preferable to have never learned about Mormonism than to have become Mormon and left.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:31 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

Regards,
MG

2. Is truth essential?
To repeat:

1&2: Two things. Are you suggesting that truth is not essential? Secondly, it might be well for you to define what you mean by ‘truth’. Your definition most probably plays into your first answer.
3. Yes, what you said.

Your number one and two are close. I’d like him to approach my first two questions in the order I asked them…with the word ‘not’ as part of the question not to be ignored. In my mind there is a minor nuance in the way the question comes across as a result.

Regards,
MG
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:40 pm
canpakes wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:31 pm

2. Is truth essential?
To repeat:

1&2: Two things. Are you suggesting that truth is not essential? Secondly, it might be well for you to define what you mean by ‘truth’. Your definition most probably plays into your first answer.
3. Yes, what you said.

Your number one and two are close. I’d like him to approach my first two questions in the order I asked them…with the word ‘not’ as part of the question not to be ignored. In my mind there is a minor nuance in the way the question comes across as a result.

Regards,
MG
OK. Thanks for clarifying, especially as regards the ‘order’.

by the way, this is a different conversation than what started the thread, so I could split this off into another if the parties involved request it.

in my opinion these three questions could certainly sustain their own thread.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:38 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

Regards,
MG
All I’m saying is that Mormonism is unnecessary because of its own teaching that everyone can be saved after death and learn whatever they need to learn in the afterlife.
So essentially what I’m hearing you say is that the whole plan of salvation in knowing who/what God is and what He expects during a mortal probation along with any covenants that He might want to make with us are all unnecessary. We are not obligated in any way to prove our selves while in the flesh. This life is kind of like a vacation and break from having to really apply ourselves to learning truth.

All the hard work comes later.

Do I have that right?

You still haven’t said anything about truth except to say that it will be given at a later time. Not necessary now.
drumdude wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:38 pm
To the extent Mormons who leave the church are punished, all that means is that missionaries are not saving souls. They’re actually putting them at risk. It would be preferable to have never learned about Mormonism than to have become Mormon and left.
That may well be. The D&C seems to teach that.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... d?lang=eng

I’m still not sure I understand how you can say that salvation and eternal life precede learning truth. That seems backwards.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:47 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:40 pm
To repeat:

3. Yes, what you said.

Regards,
MG
OK. Thanks for clarifying, especially as regards the ‘order’.

by the way, this is a different conversation than what started the thread, so I could split this off into another if the parties involved request it.

in my opinion these three questions could certainly sustain their own thread.
It’s up to drumdude.

Regards,
MG